96 XJ "shamrock" build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 96 XJ "shamrock" build

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 08-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

96 XJ "shamrock" build/02 TJ build

Well i am one week into my 96 X jproject. It is a 96 XJ country with automatic, I6 and a standard amount of rust. I have accomplished a fair amount but its nothing compared to what is ahead of me.
My first week was spent getting the engine to turn over and run with out leaking, stalling, making unreasonable noises at me, spraying me in the face, or other wise functioning improperly. Today i was successful, Hear is the run down of what it took to get it going,
Water pump, Thermostat, antifreeze, heater control valve, oil pressure switch, plenty of RTV, new oil, oil filter, electric radiator fan, and a fuel pump relay. The water pump was toast, previous owner filled the system with just WATER. Any way after replacing all that and doing a fluids change now she runs not great but well enough to take it out for a 10 minuet spin. The engine hadn't been started in a month or so based on how its running. AS for now the main goal is to get it road worthy
list for that is
replace floors
rehang exhaust,
Have the leaf springs reconditioned
work out all the engine problems
and reassemble the interior
As for the build up the list is as follows
4 inch suspension kit
Tires
Build a piaa light bar of some kind
T-case swap
Stroker kit(in the far future)
Home made bumpers front and rear
As for now i have some questions and some issues that i could really use some help with.
First is my gauge cluster seems to have died on me. Tach and speedometer both function as does the volt meter but my gas gauge, oil pressure gauge, and coolant temperature gauge all don't function any more and the illumination has stopped working. Any ideas on this? Also I want to swap the command-track transfer case out for the Select track transfer case. How easy is it and is it worth it?

image.jpeg   image-1.jpeg   photo-3.jpg  

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland, Midnight Blue Pearl.
Rusty's 2" Budget boost, It Goes fast
Project "Shamrock": 96 Cherokee country, black, I6 HO, ZJ 242, 4.5 Rustys, 33" Mud terrains
My build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-xj-shamrock-build-1250478/[/url]
overlandchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

Well it's come along a bit since I started the thread, installed fog lights, wired up my light bar harness, got my rear breaks working properly again, fix all my electrical problems. Now the jeep is giving me a hell of a time. I can't get my engine running properly. It is having cooling issues again. It's not flowing properly and the temp sensor isn't working either, there is a crack in thermostat housing that's new. It's knocking badly and I am not sure if this engine is worth salvaging any more. Any opinions on this?

Project "Shamrock": 96 Cherokee country, black, I6 HO, ZJ 242, 4.5 Rustys, 33" Mud terrains
My build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-xj-shamrock-build-1250478/[/url]
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well...is this a project or is this a hurry up and build it? If it's a project and it's not taking up too much room and you have time and want an experience then YES it's worth keeping. If you want a quick fix and run then no. Good thing about the motor going is that you can put a stroker in sooner rather than later. As for the other parts...start searching the forums. There are XJ part outs EVERYWHERE that you should be able to save money on the old girl. Got a lot of nice sheet metal left in those floors as well. Get a list of proper functioning items first then worry about your build...give yourself a year to get it complete and if it's not done by then, then throw it away. Look at the theBlackSmith's build...he's going on a year of headaches and I think I'm on 5 or 6 months and mine still hasn't seen the road.
Unread 09-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

Well said, most parts I get off eBay or I use my e coupon on advance to get the parts I need new. It's definitely not a hurried build I don't intend to lift it till the late spring or summer of 2012. My biggest problem now is the engine. I either rebuild it over the winter or get a reman, the cost on the machine work would cost just as much as a reman and that's before she gets new guts.

Unread 09-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Man if you were closer to me we have a machine shop that will rebuild racing motors for under $2,000; stroking a 4.0 would be even cheaper than that.

If come out of this XJ with a super built machine for less than $6,000 then you're doing awesome.
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

One hanger fixed one to go. Now there are no more exhaust noises. The hanger on my crosmember has been cut, so I either have to replace it or weld the two pieces back together. I changed the spark plugs about 3 weeks ago and I used the Boch +4 plugs because they were on sale. Is it possible that these plugs boils be causing my knocking problem?
image-2289166333.jpg   image-538888096.jpg   image-339298002.jpg  

Unread 09-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Probably not...they would only cause slow starts or lack of ignition/miss.

If this is able to drive a little ways you could try to get rid of the "knock" with the ATF trick...however, I believe that's for a lifter. Not sure if you have pinpointed the source of your motor noise or not.
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

I have had 4 people listen to the engine and tell me what they think, they all said that they think that the damaged exhaust manifold is causing air to be sucked in through it and that is causing my problem. Just out of curiosity what is the ATF trick?

Unread 09-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

I believe it's for a lifter tick; you run ATF in the motor for 100 miles and then change oil, run it and change oil again. Hell if it's a manifold then upgrade and get a header!
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

Well I did a test to see how I like the tan stuff black, and I think it looks way better. I am also going to re do the country logo and stripes over by hand in orange. But I have to start it right to and paint it properly this was just a test.
image-3164677210.jpg   image-3791737421.jpg   image-3731624069.jpg  

Unread 09-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Looks a lot better in shiny black.

How are those floors coming?
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

Haven't started yet, I am going to use quadratec's stamped floor pans, for the purposes of time and tools. I will have to take it to my buddy's place to do the work because I am a crappy welder and I dont have the metal work tools that we need. Right now the main goal is to get the engine up and running right. New manifold is going in I'm a couple weeks so hopefully that will end my engine troubles.

Unread 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Dude if this is going to be a trail rig and a beat the piss out of it having fun then just do what I did. It's just as easy and a hell of a lot cheaper. Get some scrap metal as thick or thicker than road signs, hammer to fit and drill it down.

It's all in my build thread.

If you start nit picking this vehicle apart you're going to be in for some deep money. I'm at $2348 and that's just getting it 100% safe and road legal and comfortable.
Unread 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
overlandchris
2004 WJ 

She is going to be a road trip jeep also, and I want to take it to the mountains in the winter, and I want to travel the country to off roading havens. I need her to be good and sturdy.

Unread 09-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #15
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Oh boy...empty yer pockets!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.