'96 XJ Build/Rebuild.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '96 XJ Build/Rebuild....

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 02-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

'96 XJ Build/Rebuild....

I picked up a '96 Jeep Cherokee on 1-27-11. It needs a little work, but not all that much.

Specs:
1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport (XJ)
4.0L Inline 6 cylinder
Automatic Transmission
Manual Transfer case
Dana 30 Front Axle w/ 3.73 gears
Chrysler 8.25 Rear Axle w/ 3.73 gears
33x12.50x15 Mastercraft M/T's (less than 200 miles on them)

Plans:
1. Remove the 3.5" lift kit and install a 6.5" lift kit
2. Fix the knock in the head
3. Clean it up a bit
4. Remove the TJ fender flares
5. Wheel the hell out of it

I still need to find a 16'x6' cheap trailer to haul it on when I go wheeling. Hopefully I can pick one up for $1,000 or less with dual axles and brakes.

Here are the only pictures I have of it as of now.

Welp, I had to pull the motor. It sure is a good thing I took the day off. It broke either a wrist pin or rod in the # 6 cylinder.

Needless to say it was interesting yanking out that old beast.

I should be picking up its replacement either Friday or Saturday.

My brother trying to separate the engine and the transmission.

mjonesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
scootz
2007 JK Wrangler 

something funny just hit me when I was reading this. I bought my 1st XJ the same day, I also have to replace the motor in it. Knocking due to the ******* not ficing a small oil pressure issue. Picked it up cheap though. Going to throw a motor in it for pretty cheap. Sorry enough about me. Good luck.
scootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well I found the culprit. It was a piston. The #6 piston blew apart. The rod and wrist pin is still in tack and in good shape.

I picked up a used 4.0 from a local junk yard for $450. It has a 30 day warranty so hopefully it will last and run.

I put a new water pump and thermostat on it before going into the Cherokee.

Going in was easier than coming out. Once the radiator was out of the way, she fell in place.

I took all the A/C items out except the pump. I am going to make the pump into an air compressor and mount a tank in the rear cargo area.

I got everything ready to go except for a power steering pump and a heater hose. I broke off one of the nipples on the power steering pump, so I have to put a new one in. It should be at the parts store today, so hopefully she runs today.
Unread 02-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It's definitely coming along. I am ready to test her out for sure. It probably will be a local wheeling spot in case something isn't quit right with it.

She fired right up today after I got the last few items buttoned up.

I was worried when she first started because there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust. After letting it warm up and a trip around the block, the smoke stopped. I think it was left over coolant and oil that was setting in the muffler from when the first motor blew it's wad.

The 4"'lift comes off tomorrow after work and the installation of the 6.5" kit begins.

I also need to pick up a set of 15x8 wheels with 3.75 or 4" backspacing. If anyone knows where I can find a good used set, let me know.
Unread 02-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well, got the 6.5" lift swap started. I should have the front on and done tomorrow after work.

Here is the difference in the 4.5" springs and the 6.5" springs.

Here is the difference in the stock upper control arms and the Rough Country upper control arms.

Unread 02-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got the front on its own weight tonight. I still have to put the shocks, extended brake lines, and sway bar quick disconnects on and the front will be done; well minus an alignment.

Unread 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I got the front buttoned up tonight; well all except for the sway bar disconnect. I can't for the life of me get the stock sway bar end link bolt out that mounts to the frame. I have broke 2 T55 torx sockets trying to get them broke lose. It may come down to grinding the heads off and drilling the bolt out. I do like the way Rough Country designed their sway bar end links with the mount that holds the end link and the sway bar up out of the way when wheeling.

Once it is all on and road worthy, I am going to test the flex out and see if where the extended brake lines meet the hard lines need to be moved down. The lines are the Rubicon Express lines for their 5" kit.

I got started on the rear. I have full replacement springs and shackles for the rear. I am taking the sway bar completely off so I won't have to worry about it on the trail. The bolts are tight as a virgin. I am using a 1/2" drive ratchet & socket with a 4' pipe for a breaker bar. I got the driver side shackle off. That is where I had to stop for the night.

Unread 02-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well I got the rear springs off. The bolts were sticking to the metal bushing inside the rubber spring bushing. Once I got the bolts out, they when back in with my fingers.

Here is the difference in the springs.

Here is some pictures of it backed out of the garage.

I just need to get the stock bolts that hold the front lower sway bar end link to the axle off. I am going to take it and have someone either blow it out with a torch or drill it out. I have busted 3 T55 torx bolts trying to get it broke lose.

Other than the sway bar end link bolt, I have a few little things to do and it will be ready to hit the trails. I have a trail ride I am going to next Sunday.
Unread 02-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I got the stock sway bar end link bolts out of the brackets on the axle. It was no wonder I broke 3x T55 torx bits; the damn things were splined and drove in. It took a torch to heat them up and drive them out. The bracket and bolt would only come out when it was glowing red.

I also got a set of D-ring mounts welded on my front bumper today. Now I just have to stop at Tractor Supply and pick some D-rings up.

I am now in the cleaning process. The inside is pretty dirty from the previous owner. I spent 2 hours cleaning the windows and dash tonight. It looks a ton better.

I have a trail ride planned for this weekend. It should be fun taking the XJ out on her maiden voyage.
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I picked up a couple clevis mounts to go on the mounts I put on the bumper yesterday.

I also got me a set of new wheels in today. I ordered them yesterday from Jeg's and they delivered them today. When I got home from work, I took the truck to a local shop and had them swapped. It rides and even drives much better.

Before:

Wheels Off:

New Wheels:

My pooch giving her approval....

And she approved....

I have a few odds and ends I need to get fixed before the weekend. I have to get the transfer case shifter fixed.
Unread 02-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #11
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I picked up a CB yesterday from a local truck stop for $29.99 plus tax. I got it mounted last night. I mounted the antenna on the rear hatch so it would be out of the way of trees and other items that might try to rip it off.

Just a few odds and ends left to finish up Saturday afternoon before Sunday.

Things to Finish:
- Change coolant temp sensor layout
- Jerry-rig the transfer case shifter so it works
- Grease up the front end

It should be an interesting weekend.
Unread 02-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Jmalone9
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i loves me some red XJ's haha. nice looking ride man, i just my 4-1/2" lift on, but now seeing yours with a 6-1/2" lift, my XJ feels tiny again.
Jmalone9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I hit up a local private off road place call Back Woods. It was a nice ride with my brother (blue TJ) and a friend of ours (red TJ). I definitely learned the limitations of my XJ.

This thing flexs like crazy. I haven't had another vehicle that had as much wheel travel without doing some kind of modification to the lift kit.

This was right off the bat. The second trail we go down I try to roll the XJ. Needless to say it was interesting.

Other pictures from the trip.

The only problems I had was I pinched a small hole in one of my side walls, and my transfer case shifter needs some work.
Unread 02-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

/Back%20Woods%202-20-2011/DSCF0433.jpg[/IMG]
Unread 02-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #15
mjonesjr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.