95 YJ NOOB build. 35s, ford 8.8, ls1 and other unknowns. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 95 YJ NOOB build. 35s, ford 8.8, ls1 and other unknowns.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
m3ntal

95 YJ NOOB build. 35s, ford 8.8, ls1 and other unknowns.

Ever since I got my license about 13 years ago I wanted a lifted jeep. My older brother had a cj7 when he was in high school. I remember going for rides with him when I was a little kid. It was an awesome experience.

I was always into sporty cars. I had a few dsms, e36 m3s, and now my current sports car is a 911 turbo but I still lusted for a wrangler. I have to admit I didn't know squat about them and ended up getting a clean 95 yj. Pretty sure I overpaid for it but it was in great shape and taken care of. If I had to do it all over again I probably would have gotten a tj. I've been spending just about every night trying to read and gather info on this forum. It's a great resource. I still am learning so if you guys have any input please share!

Day I brought it home:

Drove it around for a bit then the mod bug hit. Bds 3.5":

The start of the job:

What's a lift without some wheels and tires? Went with 15x8 black rocks and 33" duratracs:

New vs old. Bds 9500 shocks:

Front done with m.o.r.e 5/8" front and rear boom shackles:

About 10 hours later (damn rusted bolts and pitman arm!):

My friend bought a new smutty built winch and used it once and sold it to me for chips only to buy another one w a synthetic line. So I went on discountwinchline and bought 80 ft of 3/8 line with an alum fairlead and slapped it on there:

At this point the jeep was starting to look a little less wimpy. The addiction got worse after a few wheeling trips. I went out with a local nj jeep club a little unprepared and got harassed for it lol (not many recovery points). I had a great time and was impressed with how she performed. I made it a point to get some recovery points on the ol yj asap.

Hyline rear bumper:

In the mean time I felt like the jeep was a bit underpowered. Even with 177k miles the 2.5 and ax5 ran great. Reading that the ax5 was anemic i felt like I had to do something about it. Did some surfing and found a ls1 with a built monster trans with 15k miles . I exchanged a few phone calls with the owner and a few days later got a uhual pickup to pick it up:

Then I read that the Dana 35 would eventually **** an axle with larger tires so called a local yard for a disc ford 8.8. Brought it home and started stripping it down and cleaning it:

I loved the 33" duratracs but after 3 weeks they started looking a bit small I ended up selling them to a neighbor down the street and replaced them with 15" tax slab beadlocks with 35x12.5x15 mtr k's. I ended up watching a vid on YouTube on how to install tires on beadlocks and decided to slap them together in my living room. I had my gf ask me why I was jumping on my tires in the living room

Tightening up the bolts to 24 ft lbs properly took a lifetime. Constant tq in a star pattern to seat the ring perfectly before the torque wrench clicked as I applied pressure. Finished product....barely cleared the garage.

I went for a test drive and this chick with a h3 and vanity plate that read "mzcougr" and a "hummer girl" sticker look over and smoke me from a light. Lol. More motivation to gather parts for the v8 swap.

So that's where I'm pretty much at now. Christmas time is here so the project is on hold. Gotta buy presents for the fam. I still need to order all the conversion parts from novak or advanced adapters. I forgot to mention that I bought an eaton trutrac for the ford rear but rear that they weren't too good for 35s so I'm looking to get arbs front and rear. The trutrac is for sale if anyone wants it please pm me. Im looking to beef up the steering but I'm not sure what's best for me. If someone could please recommend something that would be great.

Also, I'm looking to get the center skid as high up as possible as I have a transfer case drop on it now that came with the bds suspension kit. What do i do for that? Saw a lot of stuff for the tjs but not too much for the yjs.

For fenders I plan on mce fronts with tj rears or metal cloaks all around.

I have a feeling my gf bought me a bunch of jeep parts for Xmas as well so we'll see where that leaves me after Xmas.

m3ntal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
m3ntal

Some random pics:

New winter tires for the turbo:

My bully chunk looking for *****es:

A couple trail pics:

m3ntal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
KillZone47
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lookin good
KillZone47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.