95 YJ Budget Build- - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 95 YJ Budget Build-

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #31
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is my Rubicon trail fix.

Stock clip on left, modified cut keyring on right.

Pulled the axles and ground out the yokes to fit full circle snaprings. So should no longer be an issue.

Norcal_chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #32
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

First breakage.

Went to Prairie city on thursday with the family. Just went up a few things, nothing major at all. Noticed pulling in driveway the jeep wanted to push forward isntead of turn, then a loud pop. thought maybe it was leafs moving around.

Did it next day on way to work, and i could get it to do it by turning left hard under power.

So i pulled the rear cover off and found these bits of joy.

Cleaned up carrier while getting ready to stick new spiders in and found this.

I have a spare d35 carrier that i got the spiders from. apparently i could get lucky and reuse stock shims and hope that backlash ends up less than .009 on the new carrier. I also would need new bearings.

I do not want to spend any more cash on this POS axle. So i put it all back together. No more wheeling for me untill i get something new. Im pissed.

Jeep will just take me to work a couple times a week and thats it.
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #33
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Some driveway crawling :haha:

Dan hooked me up with a non disco d30 housing with 4.10 gears. So the plan is to find a 4.10 geared 8.8 to swap in and run till i can afford and build up what i want to shove under it, while still being able to wheel hard.

Decided since it was on the bench to make up some Inner C gussets. The stock Cs look stupidly small and ready to bend. So whipped these up.

Unread 12-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #34
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Went with Mike to Pick and pull. 20%off sale. Got this 8.8 for 177bucks out the door. 4.10s disc brakes, cant beat that.

Fired up the stick welder. Ran through about 10 sticks of 6018 on some scrap before I remembered what the hell I was doing.

My dad gave me a few sticks of ni99 from the shop so I used that. Didnt turn out too bad.

Unread 12-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #35
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Made a run to signal peak/fordyce
Got about halfway through signal peak and somehow got wayyyyyyyy off trail. Had to Aetna buggy up some sketchy as hell icy dirt hillclimb and sidehill on a mountainside with runoff. So we turned back around and decided to hit fordyce for the rest of our time. Made it almost all the way to the first water crossing and then turned around because we ran out of time.

Only big obsticle was Driveline hill, and I was able to take the right side line with some throttle and made it up. Was happy about that. All in all was a fun time. Cant wait to get my 8.8 in and head back up.

Unread 12-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #36
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 12-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #37
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://youtu.be/tRldERuzI-Y

http://youtu.be/OfERbzSR1T0

Unread 12-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #38
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Made some new motor mounts. Poly bushings and about 1 3/8 lift over stock. Now that these are done i am going to redo the tranny mount and raise it till i can get a flat skid. need to clearance out a support under the bottom for the tcase, and then shouldhave plenty of room.

Unread 12-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #39
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Developed a leak in my gastank. Fixed it, and then it leaked from somewere else. I picked up a new one and pulled the old one tonight. It looks like someone smeared a big tub of bondo all over it to patch a leak :haha:

I decided since i had the tank and skid out to do a nice little mod. Cut up my stock skid and did some fliparoo action. added a little to the sides to keep the tank happy and then got out the rachet straps and the torch and heated the tank up and racheted down. Let it cool, pulled it out and did it a few more times untill a nice dimple had pressed into the tank and let it sit back flush.

I should be able to stretch the rear about 4in now with the 8.8 without an issue.

Just got the tank in. Clearance shot with the d35. the 8.8 takes up a little more room, but I have a ton of space there.

Unread 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #40
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! I cant believe I haven't seen your build till now. lookin good! I moded my tank 4" too. I have plenty of room for more stretch, I run waggy springs, and an 8.8. I may redrill my perches to stretch it another inch.
Unread 12-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #41
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good. i may be using chevy 52in springs in the rear when i stick the 8.8 in. still not sure.

Have all my stuff lined up to make a new tranny mount and raise it so i can do a flat skid. just waiting for this rain to go away so i can get started!
Unread 12-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #42
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post
Built a roof rack. Its light enough i can leave it on and use it to keep the sun off me. probably only weighs 30-40lbs.

Very nice, what kind of tube did you used??......
GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #43
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilNewJeeper View Post
Very nice, what kind of tube did you used??......

It is made with 3/4 and 1/2 emt conduit. it was a pain getting all the galvanized coating off the ends that needed to be welded but the material is super cheap.
Unread 12-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #44
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_chris View Post
It is made with 3/4 and 1/2 emt conduit. it was a pain getting all the galvanized coating off the ends that needed to be welded but the material is super cheap.
Great, I'll have to try this. Did you used a MIG welder?, 115V or 230V?..
GilNewJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #45
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilNewJeeper View Post
Great, I'll have to try this. Did you used a MIG welder?, 115V or 230V?..
Used a 115v lincoln sp135t. fairly low setting because the stuff is pretty thin. I am more than happy with it though. i need to make some mounts for it so i can run it with my hardtop on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.