Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

95 YJ Budget Build-

82K views 416 replies 40 participants last post by  Norcal_chris 
#1 · (Edited)
95 YJ/fake TJ Budget Build - Flat belly

So picked up my first jeep back in january. Before that i had a 73 blazer on tons and 42s. It was a little too rediculous to drive on the road, didnt fit down most trails i wanted to go on, and had a ton of rust. But it was fun. I picked this jeep up to have something i could drive around, to and from the trails, as well as take my wife and Kid with me.

It is a 95 with the o so peppy 2.5 4 banger. 5speed with a teralow 4.0 kit on the 231 with a SYE.

4.5in rubicon express extreme duty lift. Spring under. d30 front d35 rear with 4.56s. 33in bfg km2s with only 1k miles. Also a brand new 33in baja claw spare. And it has a hardtop wich is nice.
has some sort of way too loud muffler with no tailpipe that needs to be addressed.

I need to move some mounts around to mess with the shackle angle because it sucks right now. It starts up quick, runs nice and the MPFI is so much better than carb garbage.

Ive been reading and searching and trying to figure out what springs to shove under it and how to go about it. I think spring over is the way to go, but i dont want to waste money on these axles to replace em later. i think 35-37 is max tire size i would want so i have been researching the 8.8 ford rear and still undecided on the front.

Im gonna fab up some sliders for it, and make some rear corner armor as well as tube fenders. I do not want to be a buy and bolt on guy as i think that route sucks.
anyways here are some pics.

See less See more
#2 ·
So i had a build thread on my old blazer forum. Sooo... im gonna copy and paste from there and get this tread up to date. gonna be a lot of pics of wheeling trips and such and we will go to what im up to today.

#3 ·
First trip out to get a baseline. This was on 1/19 trip to Prairie City OHV

We started our day on the Frame Twister....

I didn't get a shot of the first door removal,
But, it's sparked a new tradition... :D

What the YJ lacks in flex, it more than makes up for in maneuverability.

:woot:

#6 ·
Got a free Spare tire carrier/hi lift mount.

I took 3 1/2 inches out of the mount that holds the spare tire so it sits in a little better. Also changed up the hi lift mount a little bit.

#9 ·
I wanted some extra storage in the cute little trunk area. Came up with this to hold 2 ammo cans and a toolbox. Plans for a shelf above this in the works.

Then i picked this Rocket box aka 20mm ammo can and wanted to do a center console. So got to work.

#10 ·
So went snowboarding today. Was a blast. Took the Jeep and it did great going up. was able to keep it above 60 the whole trip.

On the way home we decided to do a little snow wheelin. Turns out Fordyce is just a few exits from the resort on the way home so we went for it.

Was pretty snowy on the road on the way in. took Signal peak trail up about a mile. Was about as far as i was comfortable going in a foot of snow/rocks and by myself. Jeep did outstanding.

Came back down to the staging area and headed towards fordyce but the snow got a little too deep for my liking right before the trailhead so we turned around.

Definitly want to head back up there with another rig once i get my locker in and mess around. Was a great way to end the day.

#15 ·
Wife wanted to go wheelin today! So we stuck the carseat in the back and headed out.

Darien had a blast. He was gathering all the rocks and random parts on the ground in his gatorade bottle and carting it around. He did pretty good in the carseat and had fun sitting on my lap while Rachel drove around.

Hopefully he will enjoy it as much as i did with my dad back in the day.

Rachel even tried the stair steps! Right when the i stopped the vid i tried to get her going again. She didnt get going fast enough and didnt hit the brake hard enough and rolled back about 2 ft with her wheels turned to the right. Though for sure she was gonna go over. Shook her up a little but was able to coach her through it and she kept going and made it all the way up.

#17 ·
Brings me to today.

Picked up two prices of 3/16 steel. 13X62

Making some mini boatside rocker guards.
Still need to do some cutting and then weld/sand. Got one side done

what a day.

Im so tired and only got one side down. I may be rolling with one for a while unless i sack up and just power through it.

let me tell you it was a pain welding these up. I did it in about 12 passes per edge so 24 total. I did get a chance to get some good practice in though..

Here is the results and final pics!

Best i could do with flux core action

Bleh that took forever

And here we go all sanded nice and smooth

And the final look!

#21 ·
Got my York hooked up tonight.

Said F kilby and made my own alternator pulley. Went to the local mower shop and got a v belt pulley that fit perfect agianst the serp pulley and the hole lined up that i was able to fit a socket in it to hold it centered. checked it for runout and welded it to the serp pully.

Now i just need a tank.

#25 ·
Made some tube fenders today. Pretty simple but still took a while to get the cuts done. They are not finished. The side and the top will be skinned with 3/16 and welded and blended in to look like a solid peice.

I wanted to keep the inner fender so i did them this way.

#26 ·
Another giant lapse in updating..

got the side plates welded in. Had a bad headache so only got that far just sitting inside on the couch now veggin out.

Made it through the mini rubicon and over the giant rocks i never attempted in my blazer.

Made it over a few other crazy lines.

Made it up the steep part of the alamo that my blazer made once, BARLEY and the other time broke my driveshaft.... Needless to say i walked up it.

Jeep is doing excellent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.