94ish ZJ Limerado build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 94ish ZJ Limerado build

07-15 jeep JK Spare Tire Carrier Delete PlateCorbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!Win a $250 Gift Card to ZoneOffroad.com - 4th of July Face

Unread 01-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
navywings22
1994 ZJ 

94ish ZJ Limerado build

So I bought a Silver 94 ZJ Laredo 5.2. I love it. Got it for a good deal and it runs strong. Lots of little fixes here and there but it feels good to be back in a ZJ again.

I am starting this build thread just to be able to document the progression and share ideas, yet the timeline will be slow as the cash finds it's way toward the ZJ.

As for the plan, lots of people would say it would fit in the term "expedition vehicle." I don't know what the hell to call it because I'm going to make it up as I go along.

She's my daily driver and I don't rock crawl. I plan to head off the beaten path every now and then but to be honest, that's not even the point of the build. The point is that I like learning through doing and there's no better vehicle to facilitate that tinkering mentality than a Jeep in my opinion.

I frequent the junk yard and get a lot of inspiration from the things I find there. As the title eludes to It's already a mash up of it's 93-95 bones and the skin of a 96-98. Though it's a laredo I've nearly fitted all of the limited trim (not 93-95 trim). Point being, who cares what she should be called or categorized as? I'm going to enjoy the stuff out of this thing and learn something along the way.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with that mentality here so I figured, why not document a little along the way and share the experience.

I hope you guys like it but if you don't, that's fine too.

Pics and stuff to follow.

navywings22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
navywings22
1994 ZJ 

When I first picked her up.
image.jpg

Unread 01-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
navywings22
1994 ZJ 

So I pulled up my ZJ's build sheet on the website and this is what I got:

Equipment Listing
VIN
Vehicle Description 1994 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
STANDARD EQUIPMENT
Convenience Group
Monotone Paint
90 Amp Alternator
600 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
Rear 60/40 Folding Seat
Driver Air Bag Only
Cargo Compartment Carpet
Spare Tire Cover
Passenger Assist Handles
Full Length Floor Console
Steering Column Locking Slip Collar
4-Spd. Automatic 46RH Transmission
Lock-Up Torque Converter
Quadra-Trac "On Demand" 4WD System
Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
Tinted Windshield Glass
Front Door Tinted Glass
Rear Window Defroster
Air Conditioning
Hood Insulation
Deluxe Insulation Group (??)
Instrument Cluster w/Tach
100 MPH Primary Speedometer
Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
Rear Window Wiper/Washer
Cigar Lighter
Dual Note Electric Horns
Glove Box
Remote Fuel Door Release
DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE (??)
Courtesy Lamps
Glove Box Lamp
Ash Tray Lamp
Underhood Lamp
Cargo Compartment Lamp
CHMSL Lamp
Black Windshield Moldings
Roof Rack
Federal Emissions
Prairie Pearl Coat
Power Rack and Pinion Steering
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Inside Mounted Spare Tire
Goodyear Brand Tires
Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
GVW/Payload Rating
U.S. Dealer Retail Zone 71-Los Angeles
California State Code
California State Code
OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
Cloth High-Back Bucket Seats
Protection Group (??)
Skid Plate Group
Luxury Group (??)
Trailer Tow Group IV
Security Group (??)
Laredo Decor Group
Up Country Suspension
Group Power Equipment Group
Off Road Group (??)
High Back Bucket Seats
Floor Carpet
Cargo Net
Cargo Tie Down Loops
MOPAR All Weather Mats Front & Rear (nowhere to be found)
Floor Mats
Cargo Compartment Cover (nowhere to be found)
Overhead Console
All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle
5.2L V8 MPI Engine
Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass
Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors
Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
Left Power Heated Mirror
Right Power Heated Mirror
Power Heated Mirrors
All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
Keyless Entry with Panic Alarm
Power Windows
Power Locks
Power Front Driver/Passenger Seats
Illuminated Entry
Warning Chime
Vehicle Information Center
Traveler/Mini Trip Computer
Automatic Headlamps
Fog Lamps
Security Alarm
Front License Plate Bracket
Bright Grille
Euro Stage 5 Emissions w/EOBD 5
Engine Block Heater
Speed Control
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling (??)
Prairie Pearl Coat
All Radio Equipped Vehicles
AM/FM Cassette Radio w/Equalizer
6 Speakers
Power Antenna
Heavy Duty Suspension w/Gas Shocks (I assume this refers to the UpCountry package already listed)
Tilt Steering Column
Full Size Spare Tire
235/55R18 Low Rolling Res Tires (Not correct size)
15X7.0 Sport Aluminum Wheels
Matching Spare Wheel
All Aluminum Wheels
Tow Hooks
Fuel Tank Skid Plate
Shield Transfer Case Skid Plate
Shield Front Suspension Skid Plate
9 Additional Gallons of Gas
Spring - Left Front
Spring - Left Rear
Spring - Right Front
Spring - Right Rear
Customer Preferred Package 2TF (??)
Customer Preferred Package 28F (??)
Customer Preferred Discount
Sold Vehicle
Fleet Option Editor
Reliability Test Vehicle (??)

The ones that I put a (??) are things that I'm not currently familiar with but will try and look up somehow. Overall I'm pretty happy with the original setup of this ZJ. It has most of the items I would have picked back in the day. Especially the up country suspension with the V8 and factory tow package.
Unread 01-28-2015, 12:20 AM   #4
navywings22
1994 ZJ 

So to give an update I've simply been fixing things here and there and adding little junk yard upgrades. I replaced the front brakes and fixed some wiring issues. I found some U-Joint half shafts at the yard and swapped them in place of my busted CV's. I found a color matched limited of which I pulled the front bumper cover, header panel, grill, and side cladding. The only piece I didn't get (because it was gone) was the rear bumper cover.

Also, since I have a 94 and it was a 96 I found out (after pulling them) that the painted side view mirrors do not swap directly in to my ZJ. The connector is different. Does anyone know a way to make them work on a 94 ZJ?

I found a hood bug deflector at the yard and mounted that on the old ZJ. After that I found a good set of stock limited (newer body style) fog lights and mounted them to my bumper in the stock 96-98 place. That took some drilling and fitting since my bumper didn't have the little nipples sticking out that every other one I've found does. Now I have both the stock 93-95 fog light assembly as well as the stock 96-98 fog light assembly. Everything is wired into the stock fog light switch so no extra stuff on the inside. I'll post a pic.

I grabbed a couple extra roof rack cross bars, some visor clips, door panel clips, and replaced my broken power antenna with a good fixed one. I also scoped out some 2in BB spacers so I plan to grab those next time and maybe some newer emblems.

With my Upcountry system and 2in spacers I should be good with 31's and no trimming needed. That's the plan for now. So far this has been a junk yard only build but eventually the funds will allow putting some into the ZJ.

Oh, and if anyone finds a silver (prairie) rear bumper cover in decent shape let me know. That's the piece I need.
image-4290307763.jpg

image-1993456296.jpg

Unread 01-28-2015, 12:56 AM   #5
McColorado
1997 ZJ 

Nice looking zj so far! I ran into the same problem with my mirror when i smashed my pass. Side one. I literally just cut the plugs and spliced the harnesses together and they work just fine. Also, im running a 2" bb with uc and 31s and i only rub in the rear under a heavy load. (Dirtbike rack, trailer, etc.)
Unread 01-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
navywings22
1994 ZJ 

Nice! Which wires did you splice together? It seems my door panel has a clip with 8 pins (black) and the newer mirror has 6 pins (red).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.