94 yj build...too broke to build a workbench - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 94 yj build...too broke to build a workbench

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #151
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

In between waiting for the batteries to recharge on my drill. I finished up this. I know, I know, its a lot of overkill...but I had the pipe laying around and I would really hate be the car that rear-ends me. LOL If that doesn't justify it, then this will. My kids ride back there.

The paper trick of transferring over your angles worked well.

You can also see the rear body mounts finished. I think they turned out nice.

6.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #152
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice!

As far as thinking there would be more comments on the build thread, I think that this all happened so fast that the forum community is just starting to catch up to the thread! I just came across it this morning and am still processing all the work that you have accomplished in a short time. Makes me want to get off my butt and start on mine again........

Keep it up as many of us are watching!

Oh and by the way, I love that your kids are out in the garage with you....enjoy the time with them as they grow up so very fast!
responder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #153
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by responder View Post
Very nice!

As far as thinking there would be more comments on the build thread, I think that this all happened so fast that the forum community is just starting to catch up to the thread! I just came across it this morning and am still processing all the work that you have accomplished in a short time. Makes me want to get off my butt and start on mine again........

Keep it up as many of us are watching!

Oh and by the way, I love that your kids are out in the garage with you....enjoy the time with them as they grow up so very fast!
Thank you for the kind words! You guys help keep me motivated...this build thread has become a priority. I want to get things done so I can show pics and we can talk about how good or not good things are going!! I know it sounds weird...I would have never thought it would be that important to me.....Almost Girly.....If anyone calls me a girl, I will find you and punch you in the ear. JK LOL but seriously, don't call me a girl

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #154
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

QUESTION??? I need some feedback on this. I am to the point of prepping the frame for paint. The way I see it is that I have 2 options. I can either paint it and put the rig back together....or I can put it together now...drive it, make sure everything is correct....and then paint it and put it back together. I know the 2nd route is safer but it is also A LOT more work. I am sure there are things I have forgot about....like exhaust hangers. I just hate doing things twice. Let me know what you think.

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #155
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

id paint it now and throw it all together, then if there is anything you forgot, just grind a little paint off where you wanna weld and weld away, then paint that spot back up. its not hard painting parts of the frame with the body on it
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #156
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not that I have ever painted anything, but I agree with Ripper. I would paint then if you forget anything or want to add something later just grind away the paint and do it. A lot less work.
odss91b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #157
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Oh by the way I don't comment much on things but I do love reading your build thread. Also last year I decided to lose weight and started a fb group with a few select friends. I got to where I wanted to exercise just so I could post about it. I lost 35 lbs. so I understand what you mean by the build thread! Keep up the good work!
odss91b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #158
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by odss91b View Post
Oh by the way I don't comment much on things but I do love reading your build thread. Also last year I decided to lose weight and started a fb group with a few select friends. I got to where I wanted to exercise just so I could post about it. I lost 35 lbs. so I understand what you mean by the build thread! Keep up the good work!
Thank you! Congratulations on losing the 35LBS, that's an achievement! It comes off a lot harder than it goes on.

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #159
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I don't have much to post. Had a bad day...couldn't even make it into work. Just a little back story. I bounced my head off the airbag and side window and left me with a concussion. Don't worry the doc say 98% of the people make a 98% recovery. So Im left with days that are not good, I cant think, cant barely talk, sensitive to light, cant comprehend simple conversations or ideas. I also don't have much for a memory. I am not looking for sympathy, empathy, or anything like that. I just figured I would explain a little. So moral of the story, wear your seatbelt, look both ways, don't run stop signs and slow the f*ck down.

Also, if you saw my post of the hours I have in this, remember, the first month, I had bruised ribs, torn tendons, etc, so the hours are a little skewed. Im sure I wasn't as efficient as I would have been before the accident.

On the bright side, Im feeling better today so I have about a dozen holes to drill and it will be time for clean up and paint prep. I have decided to paint the frame and add stuff later, as needed. I have also came up with two ideas for the tranny mount and motor mounts. And its almost 50* out today! Its been a long winter.

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #160
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Back on track, well, about a week off schedule. But I got the all the finish welding done. Then I went over it with the grinder, then the flapper wheel and finally the wire wheel. If you look closely, I cleaned up the transmission a little. Then I blew it off, rubbed it down with paint prep and sprayed 4 cans of rustoleum rust reformer on the outside and used a can inside each frame rail. I am sure I didn't get even coverage on the inside but at least its better than nothing.

I thought my welds looked pretty good until I got some paint on them. My welds before paint looked like a row of dimes, just a little out of sort. Now with paint, the look like a row of dimes with some nickles thrown in and in some spots maybe even a quarter thrown in! LOL

Hear is the final product...I have to leave it sit for about 24 hours, so I think I might clean up the engine a little.

I was reading up on the paint that I am using and it dries to handle in 90 mins. So Sunday I will start assembling things. That is the plan, but when man plans, God laughs. LOL
9.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg  

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #161
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Since I can't paint the frame yet, I have been keeping myself busy with cleaning, prepping and painting the other parts. Anna came out in the garage with me and I taught her how to paint a TC. Prep, Prep and more Prep, now paint. She did great. I had her paint and then I just went over and touched it up. I decided to add a little color to the drivetrain. I figured out my color scheme. The frame will be black and all the components that go with it, The axles will be silver and the drivetrain will be red. The color turned out way more fluorescent than the color on the cap but I will go with it for now and I can always change it later. I was thinking it was more like the red on my toolbox.

It kind of an easy day, painting. Clean a part. Wait for it to dry. Prime it. Wait for it to dry. Paint a little. Come inside and hang out and wait for it to dry.

I think I am going to take a nap and then get up and paint the frame. That way its dry for tomorrow and I can start assembling things.
10.jpg   11.jpg   12.jpg   13.jpg   14.jpg  

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #162
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here it is, the final product. Maggie helped, she said it was the one thing she could actually help with. She did an absolutely awsome job and it would have been rough doing it myself. Thank you Babe, I love you!!

I used Kilz Hammerite Rustcap...it is pretty narly stuff. I would call it more of an epoxy than a paint. Its thick and it dries quickly, 90 mins to handle and hard as a rock. It has the hammered metal texture, so it is forgiving on imperfections. The black is not really a black, its more of a really dark silver. I will get more pictures tomorrow in the daylight. I am really impressed and I will let you know over time what I think of it. It was recommended to me by a guy in my wheeling club "Fox Valley Offroaders" and he said that he knows of guys that have used it for the last 7 years and no signs of rust. That is something coming from someone in WI. It says that is has glass and resins that bond together to encapsulate the rust. All I know is that I was tempted to use a putty knife to spread it on and from what I can tell....it is a great product. The paint brush is like I used it to spread fiberglass resin. Best of all $65 a gallon.

Now it gets real exciting!! Assembly....Tomorrow I plan on putting the steering box on, leaf springs and axles, shocks, motor. Then Ill get to work on the tub.

Oh and you can see it is snowing again
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #163
1hand
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Liking it!
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #164
wijeepguy716

Great job on the build. Just wondering where you got the kilz stuff you painted the frame from? I live in Hudson and currently have 3 wranglers. one I bought with a bad motor and put my spare into for my DD, one I am currently rebuilding with a body from CA, the last one I am undecided and might part out. Keep it up
wijeepguy716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #165
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wijeepguy716 View Post
Great job on the build. Just wondering where you got the kilz stuff you painted the frame from? I live in Hudson and currently have 3 wranglers. one I bought with a bad motor and put my spare into for my DD, one I am currently rebuilding with a body from CA, the last one I am undecided and might part out. Keep it up
TY Its much appreciated!! I actually bought it online through House of Paint...but then I found out that Ace hardware sells it.

WOW...3 wranglers...Ive looked for some spares but they are all piles of rust that they are trying to pass off as wranglers.

Keep Jeepin on!

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.