Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

94 yj 6.0 build "SPUD"

79K views 376 replies 52 participants last post by  bigredjeep1 
#1 ·
94 yj 6.0 v8, stretched and linked build "SPUD"

So im starting this thread a little late but i figure better late than never, i bought my 1994 wrangler last 2 years ago around new years and i knew nothing about jeeps, i got a 4 cyl, which to my disappointment didn't do very well on the highway. So after a few blown transmissions and an engine or two my dad and i decided to undertake a complete "do over" of the wrangler

Attachments

See less See more
#229 ·
Ripper3494 said:
oh yea, for the wiring i used novak, which is really easy and nice but really overpriced for the wiring, id use them for anything else though.

150 for harness and pcm
700ish for them to re make the harness and program the pcm again
Alright so what's a grand total, excluding mistakes. I'm trying to give my dad an idea on what the price would be.

#230 ·
adding it up gives you around 4280, so id say approx 5k because of all the misc stuff and youd be good

#231 ·
so i got a hard top from a friend in return for a stereo set up but my full steel doors are total **** and they arent even for a wrangler... but i did have a set of half doors so i decided to get some tj uppers and see how i can make it work

here are the upper tj frames from Rampage. ive had issues with their quality stuff in the past but these seem really sturdy, and i dont feel bad cutting them up

and here are the upper windows from smittybuilt (also kind of cheap since i didnt know if this would work) if i end up loving the tj uppers i may buy nicer parts in the future but for now these work

and here is one mounted. they are EXTREMELY tight to get on but thats standard and now i know they wont flap.
you can also see that they they don't sit all the way down on the doors due to the final pin not lining up

here you can see the position of the last pin verses the other pins

and here is how well the tj upper fits in the hard top opening. i did un bolt my hard top and push it back as far as i could then i bolted it back in to make room

#232 ·
ok so here goes the modification, unfortunately i wasn't able to finish tonight because the welder is buried in the other garage since the we are re doing the shop

so first you have to cut the furthest pin back off before the 90 degree bend

and this is how it will be welded back on so that the upper sits correctly

but even without that back pin you can see that it sits nicely in there

this is the only spot that has a gap which is due to the lack of a rear pin

i drove it around anyway though and the doors work great, they are totally silent and dont flap at all. also i cant feel any air coming from anywhere

this is deff near the top of my favorite cheap mod list

and for those curious as to why i have no garage right now

floor

#233 ·
#234 ·
well the soft uppers are working fantastic, i couldnt be happier with them

i also got my Dutchman chromo shafts in the heep so no more wobbly wheel in the back

#235 ·
ah why does it feel like i've been here before?

my shifter cable got caught in my driveshaft somehow and ripped the mount clean off the trans so i had to tear it back down

#236 ·
and the new shifter cable came in today along with the mount

and heres a nice view of my t case shifter from AA that i love

i also replaced/upgraded my sway bar bushings

#239 ·
CDW_327 said:
So does that filler hose use the stock filler location? looks like it, does that actually work with out the gas just flowing back out the filler when filling up> i want to do the same thing you did with the fuel cell but dont know what to do about a filler and would like to use the stock filler like it looks like you did. Can you post some more pics of the filler and fuel cell setup?
Thats actually just a big vent hose that lets out of the jeep. It has a sxrew cap on top that you fill from

#240 ·
HaskiE said:
How's that gear swap coming?? :thumbsup:
Tomorrow I'm gonna start. I wanted to .knock each axle out in a day abd not drag it over a week

#242 ·
Nice, Goodluck!! get 'er done! I've dragged mine out over about 10 months so far... still dragging... :rofl: :rofl: :thumbdown:

#241 ·
I also saw this and it made me sad... 3 in body lift

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

#326 ·
Ok, I just read through your build thread finally while being bored at work and I have to add my .02. I wish I could swipe the 5.9L V8 out of the '99 Durango I have sitting in my driveway for sale and toss it in my XJ. Your YJ is badass. I'm extremely jealous.

I also saw this and it made me sad... 3 in body lift
View attachment 496182

View attachment 496183
Hate the lift, but always loved the gambler rims.

i also got some help from the GF today :p
Ok, she's purty and a chick working on a Jeep is sexy. Get more pics of her in this thread either working on the Jeep or posing in, on, or under it. :2thumbsup:

Yea the cloaks were really just a fad, an expensive one of at that. I liked em while I had em but I feel much better about building my own stuff. Imo the cloaks make a rig look like your spending all your money trying to make it look good

Probably sent from under my broken heep
I really liked the look of the metal cloaks on there....and still like the style, but making **** yourself is cooler, more satisfying, and way cheaper. I have bent tube from jeeptubes.com that I'll be welding up to make my tube fenders. Need more welding practice first though.

And some fun today with the gf

Probably sent from under my broken heep
again..... more of this in your thread. Especially after it warms up. :cheers2:

I need to do the durango box upgrade too. Did you pick yours up locally or online somewhere? About how much? I have some play in my steering and thought it was the steering shaft, but might be the box. I need someone to help me locate the issue. Hard to do yourself while sitting behind the wheel. It's ridiculous that you can't replace the u-joint in the steering shaft and the borgensen heavy duty shafts are a bit too steep for me

#244 ·
and i started it up today because i just wanted to hear it... i love the way it sounds right now, once i have the gears all done ill have to take another running vid. next weekend me and a few buddies are headin out to the cliffs so ill deffinately have some shots of that

#245 ·
well i decided to get started on the gears since i was supposed to look at a guys car tonight but he never showed. first problem was getting the old carrier bearings off the carrier... i invented a new tool that included a clamshell type puller 2 bolts 2 nuts, a piece of square tubing from an old transfer case drop, 3 feet of threaded rod, plasma cutter, welder, impact wrench and a vice.

also had the issue that the rubi 5.13 thick cut gears use a 7/16th ring gear bolt and my carrier used a 3/8th i believe so i had to drill out 10 holes on each carrier to 7/16th and go to 3 different ace hardware stores to find 20 grade 8 7/16-20 bolts...

#247 ·
that sounds awesome ill deffinately be following your thread once you get goin

#248 ·
so today i had no school and my dad took off work so we decided to do gears. after spending like 2 hours trying to hone out the old bearings to make the setup bearings we remembered that our little lathe would work well so that was nice.

heres some pics... i didnt really like taking pics so after the first time taking the carrier in and out we kinda stopped with pics (carrier was taken in and out of each axle ~9 times)

after getting everything within spec we pressed on the real bearings and put it all back together. once together we found that we had 0 backlash. backlash needs to be between .006" and .010" so i pulled the new bearings off and we adjusted the shims and pressed them back on. all said and done the front axle has .007 backlash and the rear has .010 (which neither of us really liked being right on the edge but we had been working for 12 hours straight so we said good enough)

almost finished buttoning it up tonight but i need some seals so ill be finishing up tomorrow.

#249 ·
well i killed the thread but here come the next wave of mods.

im selling my rear metal cloaks
stretching the rear
4 linking the rear
and probably getting sniper fab corners

#250 ·
all in one night lol more to come probably thursday, wednesday is the day i spend with the little lady

#251 ·
welding video

#253 ·
#254 ·
110" wheelbase

Attachments

#255 ·
Just picked up my astro van steering box and stock xj coils for the rear

#257 ·
Maybe a bit lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.