Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

94 yj 6.0 build "SPUD"

79K views 376 replies 52 participants last post by  bigredjeep1 
#1 ·
94 yj 6.0 v8, stretched and linked build "SPUD"

So im starting this thread a little late but i figure better late than never, i bought my 1994 wrangler last 2 years ago around new years and i knew nothing about jeeps, i got a 4 cyl, which to my disappointment didn't do very well on the highway. So after a few blown transmissions and an engine or two my dad and i decided to undertake a complete "do over" of the wrangler

Attachments

See less See more
#259 ·
Now thats some droop:thumbsup:

Hows the suspension look at full bump? I had a problem with my uppers getting into the support for the front of the gas tank.
I have the same problem, about 2 in before full bump i contact. Im planning on just trimming the support. I have no rank there anyway and plenty more crossmembers

#260 ·
Thats not too bad your probably past it for the most part with how far back you went. You could always ditch it and use some 2x3" on the flat with a couple tabs for the body mounts or C channel. At 3.5" stretch I had about 2" of uptravel before the axle wanted to get into it. I ended up cutting about a foot out of the middle to clear everything.

Your going to love being linked you'll be planning out the front in no time.

#262 ·
Thats not too bad your probably past it for the most part with how far back you went. You could always ditch it and use some 2x3" on the flat with a couple tabs for the body mounts or C channel. At 3.5" stretch I had about 2" of uptravel before the axle wanted to get into it. I ended up cutting about a foot out of the middle to clear everything.

Your going to love being linked you'll be planning out the front in no time.
Yea it hits the links not the joints on mine.
That's actually a really good idea since with my frame mods its a little sketchy anyway for that crossmember.

And I'm already thinking about radius arms in the front

#266 ·
i have a buddy that dropped a 4.8 in his tj and he loves it. the 6.0 is fun as hell but it causes a lot of havoc to things like transmissions, axles, driveshafts, transfercases, frames, radiators, suspension, tires... you get the picture :rofl:

#265 ·
steering geometry, ive heard that running a 3 or 4 link in front with non full hydro will give you some nasty bump steer. i dont know that from experience but thats what ive heard

#267 ·
not as big as yours lol, im running 7/8ths uppers and 1.25 lowers

#268 ·
i guess its ok for my to picwhore a little...

truss

front stretched

frame hacked

what i crawled under to get my steering box...

lots of hp in this truck

front spring hanger

front stretch

sitting with springs and shocks in
it will look better once i get it leveled out with new corners

old wheelbase for comparison

and the tj just for fun

flexy

#269 ·
today i re made my front track bar, for those of you who say take it off...no. i like it on lol. then i lengthened my front driveshaft and finished up my exhaust... the only thing i could fit was a thrush glasspack with the links back there

i also got some help from the GF today :p

#271 ·
I hope lol i changed my direction quite a bit, with this im hoping for a better ride, no wheel hop offroad and some obstacles i was trying ended up being impossible due to me being a few inches short. Its hard to drive completely vertical.

#272 ·
Each round of mods takes it further from a DD. Once i get my driveshaft back it will resume DD duty but for now ive been driving my dads silverado

#273 ·
steering geometry, ive heard that running a 3 or 4 link in front with non full hydro will give you some nasty bump steer. i dont know that from experience but thats what ive heard
As long as the draglink is the same length and angle as the panhard a 3 link with panhard will have zero bumpsteer. The way we did mine its straight as an arrow. A triangulated 4link front with a draglink will have some bumpsteer and I wouldnt advise it without full hydro.

#274 ·
i was thinking of 3 link the wrong way, i just looked it up and yea that looks like it is very doable, considering i still run a trackbar anyway, i dont like the way leafs feel without it in the front. that actually looks like its extremely easy to do compared to the rear 4 link. odds are i'd just run coilovers in the front to make things easier

#275 ·
Today i leveled out my springs, then finished welding up the frame, and painted everything. Still waiting on a drag link end and my rear shaft

#276 ·
Ripper3494 said:
Today i leveled out my springs, then finished welding up the frame, and painted everything. Still waiting on a drag link end and my rear shaft
Looks awesome so far! I might have missed it but what are you running for font springs?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#277 ·
I'm currently running rough country leafs in the front. They were on the jeep when i bought it so I'm just waiting for those to die

#278 ·
Ripper3494 said:
I'm currently running rough country leafs in the front. They were on the jeep when i bought it so I'm just waiting for those to die
Or I meant to say what will you be running in the front? Plan on stretching it?

#279 ·
i actually did stretch it about 5" in the front, but for some reason it doesnt look it at all. the only way i knew i moved it that far was that i had to lengthen my front driveshaft that much. for now i'm staying on leafs in front but my plan is eventually to 3 link the front and probably use the same springs i'm using on the rear, which are cherokee front coils

#280 ·
Ripper3494 said:
i actually did stretch it about 5" in the front, but for some reason it doesnt look it at all. the only way i knew i moved it that far was that i had to lengthen my front driveshaft that much. for now i'm staying on leafs in front but my plan is eventually to 3 link the front and probably use the same springs i'm using on the rear, which are cherokee front coils
Oh, yeah cant really tell! So you just moved mounts forward to get your stretch I the front?

#281 ·
yea i did a shackle reversal, put a 2x4" steel bumper on the front of the frame and mounted my spring hangers to that. and for steering im running an astro van box with the pitman off the front of the box

#282 ·
aaand another update, i should just delete this thread, i dont pay nearly enough attention to it. but alas it gives me something to do when i get bored...

i've finally driven it and noticed a few things

1. i need to move my shock mounts because they seem to be bottoming out
2. the astro van steering box has absolutely no turn radius, I pm'd poke about that to see what he did
3. my RC springs in the front blow (i ordered a pair of BDS springs last night)
4. my 1.5"x 1/4" DOM crossmember isnt strong enough to hold my lower links. 1 hard shift into second turned it into a U

PICTURES
first things first, the GF wrenching

how it sits right now, BDS springs will bump up the front even with the rear

kinda hard to see but this is the crossmember after i bent it back by hammering it in reverse

and i got my little trans cooler fan in the mail today so i mounted that up

dont mind the zipties they were for lining it up nicely

#283 ·
Not surprised on that link crossmember. I had issues with an anti-wrap bar support and my 4 cylinder. My axle generated that much torque so I'm not surprised the 6.0 I'd bending it. You weren't even going up a slope or crawling.

I'll be curious to see what you come up with.

#284 ·
The stretch looks amazing. It's coming together very nice. I love the fact your GF was out helping. I'm rebuilding my wife's cj7 and she's helping on what she can too. I love it when a woman shows an interest and doesn't mind putting in some work in the garage.

#285 ·
She's not too excited about wheeling though, but she does love the scenery

#286 ·
well a few buddies and i spent the night just sittin in the garage talkin about wheeling, then went to dennys at about 3am. after that one of them got a little light headed :rolleyes: and decided to wax my whole jeep since it was in the garage... i cant say i really mind though he did a good job lol

i also replaced all the bolts for my crossmember with grade 8 in hopes that they hold long enough for me to redesign it

#288 ·
thanks, i just got my new front springs in and it sits much better now

#289 ·
Id like to see pics of your front stretch and steering setup if you could please? I wanna see how you setup the astro box.

#290 ·
I'll snap a pic tonight, I'll be re drilling the mounts on the frame to rotate the box up and getting a longer pitman arm

#291 ·
It looks great with the new front springs:thumbsup:

Hows the lower mount holding up?

When my buddy was double triangulated he made a belly pan out of 2" angle and 3/8" plate and connected the crossmember(1/4 wall 2" box) for the lowers to it. It held up great and the main skid is actually on my jeep now. I'll see if I can dig up a picture to give you the idea.

#292 ·
It looks great with the new front springs:thumbsup:

Hows the lower mount holding up?

When my buddy was double triangulated he made a belly pan out of 2" angle and 3/8" plate and connected the crossmember(1/4 wall 2" box) for the lowers to it. It held up great and the main skid is actually on my jeep now. I'll see if I can dig up a picture to give you the idea.
Im actually thinking of going to single triangulated. I cant seen to get rid of my roll understeer with it being double...

#294 ·
gah ****. gimme 5 min

#299 ·
Here is a pic from JP mag project shrink ray.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Rim

Looks like it sits up higher and out if the way. Fits right behind the grill. Just another option to look into, maybe?

#300 ·
i like the looks of that, im guessing it has a better turn radius than the astro van box does too lol. its an interesting idea, ill look into it some more. right now im cutting out my lower links and mounting them on the frame rather than the x-member

#301 ·
i found the list of mods i typed up a long time ago on my pc and updated it here. im mostly posting it here for myself because every time i order something for my axles i forget what year they are

2004 lq4 Silverado 2500hd
4l60e - novak conversion tail
86 grand wagoneer front
89 grand wagoneer rear
5.13 G2 gears
Trans speed shift, shift kit
Novak Engine mounts
Novak 23 spline trans/t-case adapter
xj np231 t case
AA SYE W/1350 yoke
B&M shifter
Warn Premium hubs
Pro-comp mx6 Adjustable shocks
Relocated/outboarded rear shocks
AWD astro van steering box
Dutchman chromo rear axle shafts
1350 u-joint rear driveshaft (tom woods)
Rci fuel cell
On Board Air
alternator welder
unique steel wheels
37x12.5 interco Trxxus M/t
welded front axle
home made rear crossmember with d rings and hitch
home made front bumper with d rings and hitch
12,000lb badlands winch
3.5” BDS front springs
Shackle reversal
Rear double triangulated 4 link
1.5x1/4” DOM, 7/8” heim uppers
2x1/4” DOM, 1.25” heim lowers
Artec axle truss and brackets
Custom lower link crossmember
Ruffstuff coil buckets
Major frame modification
Xj coils
C4 corvette headers
Thrush glass packed exhaust
Custom intake
Hood slats for cooling
headlight relay mod
rear disc brakes
hood mounted high lift jack
windshield mouted lights
tj upper soft doors
kenwood 200W amp
Alpine speakers
8in bazooka tube sub

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.