93 YJ Rebuild & Rig - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 93 YJ Rebuild & Rig

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
jdieter91

93 YJ Rebuild & Rig

So to start I've never posted anything like this online before to this detail etc.
I have never "Built" my own truck before or restored one before, this is my first "Cherry Popped" slow but steady rebuild of my YJ. In high school I had bought a 96XJ 2 Door already rigged and done up but with many flaws for cheap. I had it for a couple years and beat her well but treated her amazing. Half way into my first college year after the huge hurricane we got, I ended up drowning her to the roof in a retention pond, my fault, hate my self for it, lesson learned. Took 2 weeks and a decent amount of money and I had her running again but she was never the same and I couldent figure out her idle issue. Got a new job that required me to travel a decent distance with rush hour and the MPG was literally killing me. Sold her for the same cost I bought her for and banked the money. Used $500 and bought a used Rav-4 from a cousin and putted around in that for the remaineder of college.

Most all of these pictures are via my cell phones. I have a camera but the last thing I will do is stop what I'm doing to get my real camera and snap a picture, I can't do that, I have to finish what I started.

ALSO I LOST MANY PHOTOS from multiple corrupt SD Cards thanks to my Galaxy S4. I will post the pics in order to what she is Currently and everything along the way in the photos and what I lost.

This is my friend in the pic after having some fun in really deep powder snow.

The entire time I drove that Rav I counted my days till I could get another Jeep, one that I would build, rig, and learn learn learn. I continued to stay up to date with new products, mods, tricks, etc., for when I finally got another I could just dive in.

I purchased most everything for this truck myself, I work my *** off to pay for what I want. BUT living at home and paying little rent helps ALOT lol.

So finally after graduating college It was looking time, after months of looking I found a cheap 93 YJ that needed some TLC, still does, but had a good running engine, new clutch, and everything worked and drove nice. So that money I had from selling my XJ just FINALLY, 3 F#@$ING YEARS LATER, got me the start and re-new-addiction to the "JEEP THING"

Unread 08-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #2
jdieter91

There She Is

And her she was the first day that I got her home.

Pretty much bone stock and in need of ALOT of TLC but thats what I wanted.

Pretty much no driver side floor pan, instead a rubber mat.
Cracked Header and crap exhaust.
Shot suspension.
Bald Tires.
Rotted Frame Sections.

Perfect vehicle for me to really dive into head first.

So before I go into the pictures this is what she currently has on and done.

Banks Tourque Tube (Sidewinder) header
Flowmaster Pro 10 Seriers Single Chamber to Banks 2.5" Tailpipe with 3.5" Tip (She Crackles when shifting and sounds like a V8, I will record it if anyone wants it)
K&N Cold Air Intake
MSD Wires and Coil
95 YJ Dual Brake Diaphragm
83 Ford E350 Master Cyclinder
Front Powerstop drilled and slotted rottors with Hawk LTS Pads
JCR 1 Ton Steering UTK
Dana 30 HP with 4.56 gearing, Detroit Locker, 4x4 Posi Lock
Tom Woods Drive Shaft and an SYE
Ford 9" W/ 4.56 Gearing & Tru-Trac Locker
4" Rough Country Lift Kit with additional 1" Boomerang Shackles
1" Red Daystar body lift
6" Total
Interco Truxus MTs 35x12.5
Smittybuilt Front & Rear Rock Crawler Bumpers. With Tire carrier.
Daves Custom Boat Side Rockers
Monstalined Tub and Rockers
Red Dash LEDs
LED Reverse Light
1.5" Rear Spacers to make the Rear match the front
Infinity Bass Link Subwoofer
Sony Head Unit Mounted In Lock Box
Smittybuilt Cargo Net

Entire frame, axles, and many parts were sanded down to bare metal and painted with multiple coats of Por-15 Rust Preventitve paint...I love the stuff from using it on my Cherokee, I swear by it.

All brake parts, every single piece, every line and fitting from front to back along with parking brake cables are brand new. She locks up no problem.

So Enough of the typing, lets see some progress and PICTURES!!!

Current

Last edited by jdieter91; 08-08-2014 at 09:36 PM..
jdieter91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
jdieter91

So It Begins

Because I had the luxury of having another vehicle to still drive I started to stock pile parts in prep for the amount of time it would take for me to finish what I had planned.

This is a decent amount of what I got, other stuff came in while she was parked and so on.

So then it started, I parked her and looked at one last time knowing she wont move again for a couple months. I do not have a garage or port or anything so I could only work on the days weather would allow and those that I could.

It began with the front, removing the bumper and lights and then right into the engine bay to install the K&N Cold Air Intake, Headers, Plugs, Wires and so on.

Ah so Pretty and new.
Unread 08-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
jdieter91

Keep It Coming

I forgot until looking at the picture that the windshield was also cracked and the frame for it looked like crap so I went to a local Jeep bone yard and got myself a donor frame and good windshield for 100 bucks. Ended up cracking the glass myself anyway and having to pay for a company to put one in....what ever at least the frame is Por-15 and rust free.

I also took this time to take apart the dash, clean it, and install Red LEDS into the dash etc.

Now we have a decent jump without picture, Galaxy S4 FTW......pictures missing are really just the axles gound down to bare metal and cleaned before painting along with the transfer case. But I do have the after pictures.

Donor Jeep in the background.

Now that everything was ready to bolt in, it was time to bolt out along with repair the frame and make it rust proof.
Unread 08-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
jdieter91

Its Ugly, but fixable!

So then I ripped out the axles, put her up on stands and broke out for the millionth time my grinder, mask & goggles and started making her naked at the frame.

Nasty Bugger

Wheres my cut off wheels....good bye.

I dont have picture again...sadly but, the passenger side shock mount was also in dire need of help so I also cut that off and ordered from Safety-Cap both a new Shock Mount, Front Body Mount, and Frame Cap for that section.

The sanding alone took about a week of time. Then welding in the new frame pieces came and all was good to go for cleaning and paint. All sides of the frames were ground down, not just the outer "You can see me" side, but all.
Unread 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
jdieter91

Fresh & Clean

So the painting began again, and so did the ruined clothing and terrible stained skin. Call me an ***, thats fine, I can't stand wearing gloves when working on any vehicle, I dont like the feel. Also i'm a complete mess with paint lol.

Also at this time while the frame was drying in coats I did a few other pieces for finishing up.

Im slowly doing it a Black and Red paint combo. Things not here would be the One Ton steering painted the same red also. Along with the finish rear painted pictures and redoing the rock sliders that came with it.

Now I was onto removing a few last headache suspension bits and installing the new suspension, oh yea.
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice work man, keep it up

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
jdieter91

I remember the nightmare I had with my XJ when it came to the pitman arm so I just performed surgery with a cutting blade and got it off extremely easily...i do recommend...if you have a steady hand.

After that the front end and lift went in....

Then the rest! Just needs some big rubbers...
Unread 09-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
jdieter91

Because the donor vehicle had everything I could want, i took out and swapped the SYE from the donors cracked T-case and put it into mine.

I've never opened up or been inside a tcase before, this was the first time. I would say its scary thinking about it until you do it and its like well....thats not that hard. ALSO, amazing videos with step by step instructions on youtube realllly helps.

After I put the t-case in I noticed my shifter is hitting the floor before it actually gets into gear, they did warn me about this in the lift instructions. Back to the cut off discs.

No more shifting issues.
Unread 09-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
jdieter91

After that I had to wait for some tires to be rolled into my driveway. And then she was finally back on the road....but sadly not for long.

So I drive the truck around and am happy for about 5+ months and then at the end of June 2014 while merging onto the highway things went downhill. As I stated above I went with JCR 1-Ton steering and I havent looked back. I remember hell of steering with my XJ and 33s so I wasnt going to take a chance with 35s. She tracks extremely straight with nothing effecting it at all speeds. Solid up until 80 where all the power is gone and I shouldent be driving that fast with her anyway.
Just noticed one plate is edited and the other isnt..w.e.
Unread 09-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
jdieter91

So, I should have checked but I did not, every aspect of the donor axles. Whomever installed the gears into the rear differential thought lock tight on the ring pinion bolts were not required......

So, still dont know how, without me noticing these bolts have been unthreading over the past few months and I was breaking them off.....yet she never made bad noises or grinding sounds until that last one or few getting onto the highway.
Unread 09-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
jdieter91

This was a major annoyance and at the same time the perfect excuse to get rid of that 35....so after some searching on forums, craigslist etc. I found a gentlemen on the Delaware/PA line that specializes in Ford Broncos and all parts they have, in specific the axles. After talking with him I ended up getting a 9" with 11 2.25 inch drum brakes, New 4.56 Gearing & Tru-Trac locker for around 850. The brakes needed completely replaced so I got a kit from Wild Horses that replaced it all. The perches and spring mounts came from Ruff Stuff s awesome selection. So back to cleaning and painting.

The axle I went for was the one that was only a few inches shorter then the 35 so I had to get some spacer to make them ever so slightly wider then the front.
Unread 09-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
jdieter91

Then it was front and rear bumpers, daves customs boat side rockers, floor repair(finally no more rubber mat) and paint. I also completely replaced my cooling system after I finished the 9" install due to it having a really bad leak in the radiator. Replaced Thermostat with a 180, Flowkooler pump, new lines and factory radiator.

Unread 09-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
jdieter91

She has no quick disconnects yet but I couldent resist a little hill....

I also then added a twenty dollar led light from Amazon for a reverse light....best twenty bucks ever, thing is extremely bright I recommend highly. If you want the brand just ask. Also ordered as you can see a set of round led flush brake/tail/turn lights with an outer reflective ring that has 3 mounting holes with metal sleeves so you dont damage the plastic. Along with 3/4 " side marker lights. The brake lights and side markers came from superbright led.
Unread 09-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
jdieter91

Then came my front bumper technically about a month ago, and just last week I got to take her for a little mudding and added a $50 Led bar off of amazon....also....holy **** with the things brightness....has a two year warranty and is water resistant etc...

Headlights

Light Bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.