93 xj..."The Phoenix"...an extremely slow/dovetailed/tubed out/lcog build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 93 xj..."The Phoenix"...an extremely slow/dovetailed/tubed out/lcog build

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

93 xj..."The Phoenix"...an extremely slow/dovetailed/tubed out/lcog build

ok so you all know who I am....im still finishing up "Special" so this will be a minute getting fired up other than some pre fab preparations i.e carpet removal all interior and wiring removed....am thinking about swapping the non-renix 4.0 and harness into the waggy and running propane on the other 4.0 when I get it all put back together as a family wheeling rig....

so quick pic of what ill be starting with....

before the teenage daughter...

after the teenage daughter...

so heres the plans...

cut front clip at firewall....
tube out front clip...
frame stiffeners tied in with front tube work and cage..
3 link long arm with 16"-18" travel nitro shocks front....
tubed out and dovetailed rear...
sua with 16"-18" travel remote reservoir shocks rear
explorer 8.8 w disc rear...
hp 30" front...
35-37" tires...
relocate and change radiator dimensions...
propane conversion...possibly...
front and rear mastercraft or some type of offroad seating...
and then some.....

I would also like to take about 6" out of the rear hatch top to bottom as well as the 16" worth of dovetail....ill need to come up with a late model metal hatch to modify then use lexan for the windows...giving it the hummer look and tire carrier on slanted section of roof....ive got this crazy image in my mind of what I think it should look like all together so, yall stick with me this is gonna be fun....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so her's how this is gonna start..so weather says is could/could not t-storm er-day of next week..ok so be it...ive been slowly amassing a pile of junk that needs to go to the dump so Monday is carpet, head liner, broken plastic blah blah removal...Tuesday ill go to dump, Wednesday ill start cutting away at the front enuff to get at all the new parts I just installed so as to swap them over to the waggy i.e. motor mounts, shocks, a few hoses, ill also go ahead and swap steering linkages and p/s pump....at that point I plan to spend a few days getting the waggy to a daily driver state before(oh wait if you are new to my threads I also have an '87 xj wagoneer limited)...over the next month when low on money ill fab up all the body changes/modifications....starting with removal of all doors, hatches and glass save front windshield....then ill have to carefully remove the entire rear hatch jam at least 3" into the roofline..using some 3/4" 14ga square tubing ill cross brace and tack all the sections of body together as I cut to prevent it getting too far out of wack...next step would be to carefully remove wheel arches(will need for later use at least in the picture in my mnd...lol)...at this point I should be able to start either the dovetail part of the build or the "chopped and channeled" part of the build....so far im still toying with the idea of folding the rear hatch making it open from up near the front of rear cargo/quarter windows like a true hatchback with the option of it being removable for summer months...but that is a way more complicated mod that just chopping and dropping the overall height of the rear..well guess I should get off here and fire up the grill go some beef and pork steak marinating in two different sauces......but when im done im hoping for the rear to look kinda like one of those offroad rally race trucks...but still resemble the xj it started out as...ok that's all for now...

Unread 06-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so maybe I got excite way too soon ill know more next week....but the floorboard at trans tunnel in passenger rear seat area is buckle really bad....this might be nothing more than a pile of parts....my day just went to s**t.......yep that's how the jeep tumbles.......

Unread 06-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

sorry for previous post I had to blow out keyboard a bunch of crumbs n crap clogging up keystrokes..where ever something doesn't make sense add a d...lol

Unread 06-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so stripped off a bunch of the bent stuff today to get at the engine...after yanking and prying and cussing I got the front of engine clear retied the cooler lines back together and started it up to make sure the drivetrain didn't get damaged...it didn't....slid up under it to take a look see and see if I could determine the total extent of the damage....in a perfect world id prolly search for a non-running 4wd version and save my self time and energy...and scrap this twisted mangled mess...roof is buckled in at lest 2 places, and the trans tunnel is all jammed up right behind front seats, so hard the paint chipped off...so I look at it like this....after I tube it out in front I can correct the wheel base damage(bent unibody)...once its caged the unibody will basicly be negligible...and it will prolly get all beat to h**l anyways so run what you brung is the flavor of the day....with the exception of some tubing all I need is a 4wd trans for a 231 and a front axle...budget wheeling at its best....already have the extra JJ's laying around...so...oh and I almost forgot I have that set of 34" tsl's...this might come together quite nicely....tubing is cheap...lol...

Unread 06-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so things are moving rather well today...so far got all the new shocks off and swapped over to the waggy...also got both steering boxes and pumps off...managed to get pump and box off together from the wrecked xj so not a drop of fluid lost...woo hooo...taking a quick lunch break the the waggy gets new steering YAY!!!!!....ive only gotten to drive it twice since we purchased it because both the pump and box were bad, like wind up in the ditch dead bad.....well Ill have pics later...also between the two I have one usable set of swaybar bushings...lol ironic huh...once ive gotten the boxes back in(yes putting dead box back in wrecked xj just to make it easier to move I know waste of time maybe) ill move on to motor n trans mounts....once ive gotten all the parts I need off of the wrecked xj the fun(carnage) will begin...if weather permits I plan on having the waggy drivable by weeks end...well that's all for now I know it seems confusing but it will all make sense soon...I think........however I might just go crazy tring to build 3 jeeps at once.......

Unread 06-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so the sun came out today..so I got back on stripping swappable parts from the "phoenix"...as I was replacing the motor mounts on the waggy I noticed one of the two oxy sensors unplugged....I was also able to find new vac harnesses made by dorman...parts #'s being Dorman 46003(engine side) and Dorman 46004(airbox side)...just in case anyone else was in need of some of these...they will run about 50-60$ for the pair depending on who you get them from...the more I dig into the waggy the more impressed I am with the prior owners...other than the aftermarket radio there doesn't seem to be any modifications or hacking...it does need new battery cables...it has a new muffler, and some new steering components(couple of tierod ends)...most all the clips and brackets are there no obvious missing ones...it has a few issues with leaks once I get it cleaned up good and find those they will be eliminated...but all in all its a good solid vehicle....well should have some pics here soon...

Unread 06-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so I figured it was time for a few pics..

out with the old and raggedy....

the donor box and pump...

whats left of the old sway bar bushings...

old dead shocks...

new red shocks cause red makes em work better.....

poor xj........

a few good pics of the waggy with its new rubber....and just for those who might not have see it before...

well that's what I got for ya...stayed tuned for more jeep action...

Unread 06-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

waggy update...so mounts are done save passenger side mount which requires removal of oil filter housing/adaptor....the vac harnesses are ordered, fixing to order a couple other misc items...at this point once everything gets here im maybe 2 hrs away from being able to start and possibly drive it for the first "REAL" time...and that's all I got...yeeha....

Unread 07-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok the plans for the "family budget xj truggy thinga ma bobber thing" are coming together nicely....i was racking my brains on how to come up with extra extra extra funding to but the 4wd front axle and 4wd aw4 when i realized i have a 4wd axle under the little dj....i can just strip the 2wd axle down to bare tubes add perches and the dj goes back to its original designation of 2wd....then the drivetrain would be "complete" and not unfinished, making it easier to sell...since i plan on using a self made custom suspension in the front of the xj then the already stripped hp 30 save me some time....leaving me with only weld wire, aw4, and tubing to purchase for the most part.....items like winch lights and other similar items arent necessary for the initial build...if the future i can see in my mind is close to correct then the family rig will usually be very close to the big dj when wheeling and i can just yank it out when needed....so heres where the planning and availble free parts are leading....

93 xj tubed slopped and chopped....
4.0L
aw4
np-231
3.5-4" lift maybe
34" tsl's
d35 w/3.55's leaf springs, long travels
hp 30 w/3.55's air shocks/coilovers(havent decided yet), maybe 4" coils and long travel's
half doors w/ shower curtain sliders(top half) for those extra nasty spots
fully stripped interior except seating, and dash...
and of course full hydro w/ homemade hi-steer....will never do offroad with linkage never ever ever ever ever....
roof rack

once i have most of the body configured ill determine if im going the propane route new its $1000 used might be able to get for around 250-500...no way around having some sort of shocks, once again that will all be determined when ive gotten most of the cutting and fabrication done on the body...i plan on the front tubing and cage to tie in to the uni"frame" section if i dont just fully tube the frame and added suspension will be tied into cage...and i know shut up and get with it allready right!!!
well thats the "official" plan...will begin cutting tomorrow or the next day....yeeha...

Unread 07-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so a quick update with a few pics...lol....removed rear flares and trimmed 1/2"(to pinch seam) both rear wheel wells.....mounted 3 of the 34" tsl's to get a basic idea of if i was goint to be able to get by with just 4" of lift and the rest be some judacious trimming....with the front tubed nothing will be in the way and with the boattail rear nothing should be in the way so heres a mockup of what just the 34's and 4 inches looks like before any "real" work....i think it looks pretty good....im hoping that when i got the body manipulated and it all set up i can get away with 3" of lift some boomerang shacles in the rear and possibly get away with 14" of travel(wishful thinking...probably)...ok so on tho the pics...

so as i said this is just a mock up for height purposes only...any thought or comments?

Unread 07-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so dang i know this is just a piddly xj and the build is getting off slow...but being as it was something common i figured i get at least a few comments...lol...i mean the folks that know me from my other builds..."Special Delivery" ...should know what i start out with and where i end up----ish...lmfao...so since its been a while on a normal build was just wanting to see what others using the newer xj tech can offer i haven built an xj since 2005....back then there wasnt much to offer in the bolt on world not that im using any but...looking for comment from those who have built recently to aid in my progress

Unread 07-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
Altimeter
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in for progress reports.
Altimeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.