93 Iowa YJ multi stage restore - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 93 Iowa YJ multi stage restore

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 09-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 Iowa YJ multi stage restore

So the long and short of it is on of my best buddies bought a two year old jeep in 1995. His wife and him used it for quite awhile. Then his two boys had it through high school. The last stopped beating on it... I mean graduated in 2009 so it hasn't seen a ton of use since then and enjoying life in the barn. We dragged it out of the barn with the tractor about a month ago due to a blown wheel cylinder. I replaced it in his driveway and drove it the 25 miles home with the calipers and other rear wheel randomly locking up. It is my first jeep and I am hooked. I thought that best thing to do was start throwing money via parts at the problem. My last project was 49 Ford moved to an 85 Monte Carlo frame so while not a novice I was about to start a new experience. I am not looking to do a lot other than original replacement parts so I though that might help some folks and me with my sanity to show myself progress. So here is the list.
Radiator
Water pump
Inlet and thermostat
Shocks (originals in place currently)
Remove Track bars (so it rides more like a deuce and a half than a tank)
New front brakes (pads, rotors, calipers)
Radio (current doesn't work and one blown front speaker)
Replace or rebuild from drive shaft
Posi-lok (replace vacuum system 4WD)
Seatbelts (currently locked fully out)
Bushing Kit (and lots of new bolts...)
Spare tire
Seats
SYE
Replacement soft top
Hard top
Full steel doors
Frame of fenders and tub rust fix and repaint
Restore the frame and seal with undercoat

IA93Javert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a typical YJ, you know, rust and all!!

Going to be a fun project for you, let's see some pictures of that YJ
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am about an hour down the road from you. Just wondering if you have hooked up with cedar valley jeep owners? Alot of great people in that group.
I heard you mention rebuilding the axles in other thread. Please dont spend a dime on the dana 35. Run it till it grenades or grab an 8.8 from explorer, or a dana 44 if you can find. The 30 up front is a good axle FWIW. I will be more than happy to help guide you along with the jeep. Is it roadworthy? Saturday/sunday is the Iowa jeep show and a bunch of us are heading up there. Nevada IA. If she will run that far we are leaving Cedar rapids at 8am from the target on 30. Let me know.
Dan
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So we start with this...
20140819_134935.jpg  
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Discovered an issue with the radiator mount that is supposed to be spot welded to the brackets...
radiator.jpg  
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got radiator in but still had a coolant leak. Traced it to the water pump and the inlet both leaking. So off they came... make sure to put cardboard between the fan and the radiator so you don't ding up your brand new radiator... and no you can't be careful enough..
engine-before.jpg   inlet.jpg   open-block.jpg  
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Took longer to get the old gasket off then the parts. I plugged the holes up and bought a wire wheel attachment for the Dremmel for $5 and it went much faster after the big chunks were gone. Next new parts on.
new-stuff.jpg  
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Figured I should replace the leaky valve cover since I had all this open real estate.. AND you need to be able to tell when it leaks again sooo... with a little paint and some clean up..
engine-before.jpg   clean-shiny.jpg  
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That was the second weekend of owning the jeep. I also changed out the tranny fluid since I was having some shifting issues with 3rd gear. It was gear lube and very gray. I used Rottella T5 and it is working much better.
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Btw this used to be my daily driver and I put it up for sale and the jeep is my daily driver now. So I guess you could say I am hooked... So this all was about three weeks ago.
lincoln.jpg  
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Now the big part of the project has begun. Got most of my parts by last Friday... Shock,Rotors, pads, Calipers, track bar removal, new front drive shaft, posi lok to replace the vacuum and all fluids except coolant, new stereo, and Thor speaker boxes.
screenshot_2014-08-08-21-33-47.jpg

pileonewstuff.jpg

Unread 09-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Last Saturday morning into the work shop we go..
dayone.jpg  
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #13
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Learned some valuable lessons on day one. First and foremost twenty year old wheel locks SUCK!!! Broke two different "keys" and spent two days off on trying to get it off. Finally go my hands on a lug out tool that would fit the damn thing and it came off Tuesday night. Second, when removing track bars I knew that a sawsall was required. I would add angle grinder to that list..
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice upgrade! Although we are all biased towards wranglers, your old DD looks like a fine utilitarian car but sooooo boring.

Do you think you gave it up a bit too early though? Hopefully all the rest of your upgrades will be single day jobs!
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #15
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Exactly. This is much more fun. And I don't need to use my MIS degree to figure out whats wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.