92 yj build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 92 yj build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-17-2008, 12:23 AM   #121
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkwired View Post
LOL yes well i am already to far in debt on the CC's. do you happen to have the dimentions for your rear shock mount bracket you made?
no , but i could crawl under there tommorro and take a few.I just winged it and used stuff i had laying around. You will need some square tube , eyes from an old shock,and a little 1/4 flat bar, and some 1/2" hardware

red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2008, 12:49 AM   #122
snkwired
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks like you welded nuts on to the back of the smaller brackets, is that right? so it is just solely supported by the original shock mounts
snkwired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #123
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkwired View Post
looks like you welded nuts on to the back of the smaller brackets, is that right? so it is just solely supported by the original shock mounts
that is correct. I did get some air over the top of some dunes in pismo and it held up fine
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 11-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #124
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

help! What did i do wrong? I took the jeep down the freeway today and i had some bad vibrations out of the rear drive shaft. I pulled over and i couldn't understand why my rear pinion angle was now way off? The welds didn't break, and when i set it up i was real careful. Instead of angling down 2 * it now is up about 3-4* ? Did my springs settle into a new position. I had full weight on it when i did it. The rear yoke straps are stretched and the yoke is damaged. I'm lucky to make it home. To top that off my ignition sw or something went out and i had to jump across the solenoid to get it started.
Unread 11-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #125
snkwired
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well you took out my first thought of making sure full weight was on it. Hmm
snkwired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #126
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

im not going to cut the welds just yet. Im thinking of changing the shackles in the rear to 5" instead of 6", then add shims if needed
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #127
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

anybody with some thoughts on this?
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #128
champelite210
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would say your axle tubes spun. This is probably why the rtv was tore on the inside of the axle and the leaking of fluid out of the tubes.
1998 TJ, 4.0 HO, 5 speed, 3.5" RE Super Flex Adj SA lift, AA SYE, Currie steering, 4.88 Gears, 8.8 Rear with Eaton E-Locker, HP Dana 30 with Detroit locker and chromoly shafts, 36x12.5x15 TSL-SX, TNT Customs front 3.5 fenders, XRC rear crusher corners with 3.5 flare, A to Z rock sliders, PSC steering pump PSC steering Bx, XRC 8000 winch.
champelite210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #129
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks i didnt think of that, that would be a good explanation, i was going to weld them like on the 8.8 people do , but i thought the 44's where ok in that area.
Unread 11-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #130
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I looked at the pumpkin and it didn't spin. I'm a little baffled as to why my drive shaft angle is off.

The nose of the rear end must be really moving a lot under load and i don't know why. The u joint to rear end yoke straps were all stretched out and that was letting the drive shaft flop around a little. The yoke apparently moves up so much that the little 5/16 bolt heads got tore up when hitting the drive shaft yoke.

i should wire up a video camera under there so i can see it under load.

I put new straps on and added some shims on the leaf springs and it helped a little. I still think I'm cutting down the shackles one inch to help the angle. ill only lose a !/2" of lift

While i was at it i welded the pumpkin any way
92-jeep-ujoint-srtaps.jpg  
Unread 11-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #131
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I took a little brake from the jeep this morning and went fishing at loon lake ,which just happens to be at one of the entrances to the Rubicon trail. The jeep is almost ready to tackle the trail. I think ill try out an easier trail first. Caught a limit by noon and went home and changed the rear 6" shackles to a set of 5". It angled the nose done a lot. i test drove it and i think its going to work. I might lower the front to. I didn't notice any driving control difference . I still think i get lot of axle wrap up under load, which i don't know how to prevent. Anybody with ideas?
loon-11-17-08-001.jpg   92-jeep-shackles-001.jpg   92-jeep-shackles-002.jpg  
Unread 11-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #132
richmond1273
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well since your sua you shouldn't really need to worry about axle wrap, even if that was it it usually returns back to normal unless you bent the springs. you could make an anti-wrap bar but i can't say i have seen one on a sua jeep. u-bolts all still nice and tight? where the springs new and just settled a lot? i don't know, just talking out loud, this is a good one. i got tired of those straps messing up so i replaced them with the u bolt style, all you have to do is drill out the holes in your yoke. part # pcn-534-10 from summit, $6.

1995 Wrangler 4.0 AX15 NP231 D30 & 35 4.10 gears
3" Rough Country suspension 33x12.50 Mastercraft MT

2007 JK 3.8 42RLE Auto NV241 D30 & D44 4.10 gears
richmond1273 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #133
treky67

Hey where did you get the sleves for invert your tie rods? P.S great looking jeep. Thanks.
treky67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #134
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond1273 View Post
well since your sua you shouldn't really need to worry about axle wrap, even if that was it it usually returns back to normal unless you bent the springs. you could make an anti-wrap bar but i can't say i have seen one on a sua jeep. u-bolts all still nice and tight? where the springs new and just settled a lot? i don't know, just talking out loud, this is a good one. i got tired of those straps messing up so i replaced them with the u bolt style, all you have to do is drill out the holes in your yoke. part # pcn-534-10 from summit, $6.
Im really thinking that the axle wrap is the problem, I got the nose down of the yoke and under full load in first it still starts to vibrate but not as bad as before. The bolt heads arnt hitting any more. Maybe if i had used the longer perches it would of helped. I used the shorter one from the don-er 44.I was afraid the longer one would flatten the springs to much but i think they might of been the way to go.

any pics of a anti wrap bar?

Thanks to the part# , i was was going to do a search for some of those today, good timing.
92jeep-springs-010.jpg   92jeep-springs-011.jpg  
Unread 11-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #135
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Are those perches welded on to the axle?
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I beat my dog every chance I can get, and you know what, I enjoy it.
bradyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.