92 yj build - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 92 yj build

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 01-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #586
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

wow i just realised my jeep has been sitting covered up since july for the most part. i better go and see if the battery is still charged. i still havnt put in the 4:88 gears and my heater control cable is stuck. its like spring in california right now and i cant remember better weather. i think ill wash the jeep and take a ride today.
i got side tracked by a few things, selling and buying 2 newer dailey drivers for the wife and i, my zj and geo metro had to go. buying a 1953 ford f100 to restore, with 4x4 of coarse. also picked up a old cherokee and a 91 ford 150 for parts to use for the 53 ford. hope to be done by hot august nights in reno. this is something similar to what i want to do to it:

f100.jpg

red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #587
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dang you've been busy. Post some pics of the jeep when you get it out. I forgot what looks like.

Funny you should say Spring-like weather. I believe over half the country is or will be experiencing the coldest artic air in years. It's 17 where I'm at right now. Monday has the high at 17 and a low of 0.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #588
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cool looking truck! Doesn't look like it has much to be restored. Nice!

Yeah, the weather has been crazy nice here lately. We're in real bad need of rain!
In fact, I took my junk out this morning to go into town and the dumb thing died on me right in the middle of an intersection! Barely starts and will not keep running. Me thinks the fuel pump went/or is going out. Called the wifey and eventually winched it onto the trailer and took it back home. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #589
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Dang you've been busy. Post some pics of the jeep when you get it out. I forgot what looks like.

Funny you should say Spring-like weather. I believe over half the country is or will be experiencing the coldest artic air in years. It's 17 where I'm at right now. Monday has the high at 17 and a low of 0.
dam thats to cold for me! i didnt get a chance to take the jeep out , nieghbors needed some electrical work done so the jeep is on the back burner for now. and the playoffs need my attention today and tomorro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Cool looking truck! Doesn't look like it has much to be restored. Nice!

Yeah, the weather has been crazy nice here lately. We're in real bad need of rain!
In fact, I took my junk out this morning to go into town and the dumb thing died on me right in the middle of an intersection! Barely starts and will not keep running. Me thinks the fuel pump went/or is going out. Called the wifey and eventually winched it onto the trailer and took it back home. Oh well.
to bad about your jeep. i bet you wish u had a access door in the back to check the pump.

the pic above is of what i want it to look like. i have it stripped down right now.

red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 04-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #590
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i did the rear 488 gears today. what a pain to do. should have pulled the whole axle out. maybe when i do the front d30 i will. good thing i already had set up bearings. with the set up bearings i had .010 back lash which is on the high side. with the new bearings it came out to .006 which is good .
Unread 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #591
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice. Went I used setup bearings my backlash tightened up 0.004" as well. I wish I would have kept those bearings.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #592
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i dont have set up bearings for the d30. you hardly use the front and when i do its just creeping. ill have to go back and read my own thread to see what i did for sure.
Unread 04-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #593
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

pulled the 30 out and disassembled it. bought to new axle seals . put in the driverside not to much of a problem. then i went to put in the passenger side and couldnt get it to go. it was just a little to big. after 45min of trying i decided to buy another brand and try it. when i called the parts house he ask me if it was a disconnect axle or not it hit me. i was trying to put the seal in the wrong place! i was trying to put it in the pumpkin instead of the axle disconnect hole. what a idiot. every year i get a little worse..........
Unread 04-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #594
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
pulled the 30 out and disassembled it. bought to new axle seals . put in the driverside not to much of a problem. then i went to put in the passenger side and couldnt get it to go. it was just a little to big. after 45min of trying i decided to buy another brand and try it. when i called the parts house he ask me if it was a disconnect axle or not it hit me. i was trying to put the seal in the wrong place! i was trying to put it in the pumpkin instead of the axle disconnect hole. what a idiot. every year i get a little worse..........
Hopefully you figured it out before you damaged the seal. It's a pain on the pass. side seal. I bought some 1/2"-13 all thread and used some big washers to pull it in.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #595
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

it seems to be alright. i already had the all thread to suck it in but used a short piece of thin pipe under the washer that just fits in the outer edge of the seal. hard to find a washer that would fit the exact dimension of the seal and not slip,
Unread 04-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #596
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i set the d30 ring and pinion up today. i had the take the carrier in and out a bunch of times to get the backlash in spec. without set up bearings i would have ruined the new ones.
it also took a while to get the preload on the pinion right. the pattern came out great tho. i use to think shops were overcharging to do gear swaps but now i think there reasonable. im sure there faster than me but still takesthem a lot of time i bet.
Unread 05-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #597
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i noticed that my posiloc cable was crushed . i think it gets caught in the tie rod and axle housing some how and does any body have pics of how they routed theres to keep it safe?
Unread 05-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #598
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

put the new posilock cable in. made a bracket to keep the cable from getting crushed by the steerting stabilizer mounting bolt, filled the diff, painted the shocks and undercarrage.
i took it for a test drive and the 4x4 works great again.

Unread 05-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #599
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great and clean.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 05-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #600
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks louie, i also put new ball joints on the passenger side . i did the driver a while ago. when i mounted the tire i still noticed a little play in that area, but not as bad. im thinking the unit bearing might be a little worn. the jeep has only around 120k miles on it and i wander how long they last. ive never had a unit bearing go out on any of my vehicles before regardless of mileage . well maybe a suzuki sidekick i had bought. i sold it before it got fixed. i was supposed to work on my sons car this weekend but he cancelled. maybe ill start the tube fenders!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.