92 yj build - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 92 yj build

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!

Unread 04-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #406
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/project-jevy-984905/

Unread 04-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #407
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i took a look under the jeep today and noticed my weld has cracked where i put the gusset on the wrap bar to the cast steel pumpkin. its the 2nd time this has happened . i did some reading on welding cast steel and ill give it another try. this time ill preheat it with a torch and use a low hydrojen rod with my arc welder instead of the mig. and ill let it cool real slow. we will see. ill post a pic tomorro.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #408
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

here is the pic, you can see a crack right in the middle of the weld
wrap-bar-001.jpg  
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #409
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

ok i dragged out the old arc welder i bought in 1971. i was afraid when i turned it on that i would electrocute a few mice and set there nests on fire. to my surprise no problems. i havnt used this for a while and did a little test weld to set the amperage and get use to the 7018 rod. it seemed to be ok and then i proceeded to preheat the bracket with a torch after i wire wheeled it. let me tell you that i have lost my touch with the arc welder! it was easy on the test piece laying flat. it was a different story on the axle. being past vertical i new it wouldnt be easy and i didnt know weather to go from bottom up or top down. it seemed to work better from the top down with the force of the arc keeping the puddle up. im not liking the 7018 compared to the 6013 or the 6011 rods. i didnt take a picture of the finish product due to embarrassment. even my spectators chuckled at my ugly weld. im really spoiled by my mig.
wrap-bar-008.jpg   wrap-bar-009.jpg   wrap-bar-007.jpg  
Unread 04-18-2010, 04:02 AM   #410
boredatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
i didnt take a picture of the finish product due to embarrassment. even my spectators chuckled at my ugly weld. im really spoiled by my mig.

3 things.

1- that is hilarious.
2- i agree with "that other dude", i read this entire thing and it changed my life.
3- i'm being as serious as an erection problem on valentines day.
Unread 04-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #411
boredatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

btw... awesome build.
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #412
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks, those 2 roosters are all thats left from all the chickens we had. it seems a local bobcat has a "taste like chicken" thing. i almost lost the white one the other night but the dogs saved him from being a late night snack. since there all alone they hang around when i work on the jeep. if they only could hand me tools or even better yet learn how to open the garage fridge and bring me a cold one. by the way i think there gay, which shouldnt surprise you since there california chickens. and ill ship them to you on valentines day!
wrap-bar.jpg  
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #413
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
ok i dragged out the old arc welder i bought in 1971.

i didnt take a picture of the finish product due to embarrassment. even my spectators chuckled at my ugly weld. im really spoiled by my mig.
funny!

that old thing looks like mine.

btw... are you still going to do the RokTrac Rubi TC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #414
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
funny!

that old thing looks like mine.

btw... are you still going to do the RokTrac Rubi TC?
if the guy will take my motorcycle in trade for it im going to try it.
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #415
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

he didnt want it ,its now for sale, and im selling 4 33" tires on rims as well.
jet-moto-006.jpg  
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:21 AM   #416
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

sold the bike and the tires! its pretty funny that the bike and the tire buyer showed up at the same time as well as a guy to pick up the 2 roosters(see what happens when you chuckle at your master) he has 15 hens and there going to be happy now.

im buying the rubi case tomorro. he is even going to drop it off!
transfercase.jpg1.jpg   transfercase.jpg2.jpg  

Last edited by bigsquat; 04-24-2010 at 01:42 AM..
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:29 AM   #417
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How do you bolt the rear shaft up to the rubi? Will you be transferring your sye over?

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:31 AM   #418
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i will have my hands full with this mod. ill probably have issuse with the skid plate and clearances, the speedometer sensor, the linkage, and the 2 output yokes are different than mine . this might be easier if i had a body lift. i wonder if i should do a seperate write up on this or is there a good yj with a rubicase writeup all ready?

i just had to spend the money b4 the wife found a use for it.
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:39 AM   #419
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13 View Post
How do you bolt the rear shaft up to the rubi? Will you be transferring your sye over?
it already has a sye built in. i have heard that the yoke on my sye will work on the rubi case but im not sure. i think there both 32 spline. as for the front im not sure what ill do there. its set up for a cv style ds i think. ive heard i can order a yoke for that to . i believe the rubi is 1330 size ujoints and my driveshafts are 1310. so i need a 32 spline yokr for the front with a non cv 1310 yoke. this should be fun and i cant wait to try the 4-1 vs the 2.73! i could of changed my ring and pinions instead of going this way but it still wouldnt be as low as the rubi case and my 4:10's. besides i like the 2 high the way it is now.

Last edited by bigsquat; 06-16-2010 at 09:11 PM..
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #420
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yes keeping your 4.10s and re-gearing the t-case is better than axles. Cheaper, lower reduction and no negative effect to highway speed and rpm's. I think I'll be going with the teralow, but $1,100 is a big chunk of money for me.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.