92 yj build - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 92 yj build

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #331
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I decided to start doing the on board air . Sticking with the low buck theme, i took a ac compressor of a taurus parts car i have. It would be easier to use a cherokee one but it would cost at least $40. So i had to make some brackets to get it to mount. It looks like ill need to ad a idler pulley so the new belt will have enough contact on the alternator pulley. I should be able to use one off a cherokee from the picnpull. I still have to figure out how im going to attach the hoses. im hoping that i can use some compression fittings. After looking at my pic's, i really need to detail the engine bay out.

oba-001.jpg   oba-002.jpg  
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #332
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i think ill use whats in this diagram that one of you guy's made for the hook up. im going to use my rear bumper as the tank.
diagram.jpg  
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 06-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #333
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thats probably what the second thing you ever used on the jeep from the taurus
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #334
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJcoYJ View Post
thats probably what the second thing you ever used on the jeep from the taurus
im trying to think of what else i have taken off it? i did just steel the battery from it. not that mine was bad , but i noticed it was only 450 cold cranking amps and the taurus had a brand new 850! . it just fit with a little modifying on the top strap.
Unread 06-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #335
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i did a little work on the oba, i made a bracket and mounted the manifold. i picked up a breather for the filter. the inline oiler i got is pretty small, i wonder if it will be a big pain to keep oil in it. i still have to get a check valve and safety valve .
oba-001.jpg   oba-003.jpg   oba-005.jpg   oba-006.jpg  
Unread 06-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #336
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i had to work today so not much on the oba, i did run the 3/8" air line inside the frame and out to the rear bumper. ill weld in a bung tomorrow. i also wired a toggle switch to the compressor via the pressure switch. i put it on a 15 amp fuse. ill pick up a tj belt and see if it works. if not then ill have to add an idler. Tuesday is the safety sw. and check valve.
Unread 06-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #337
magnumcherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

OBA is coming along nice and LOVE the home made swing out tire carrier/can rack set up. Very cool and good ideas!!
Unread 06-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #338
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks, im cheap so i have to make everything. rear setups can be over 700 and oba from kilby is 1150. i dont have much over a 100 between the 2
Unread 06-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #339
magnumcherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

That is the best, cheap and built by you!! Way cool, nice work!
Unread 06-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #340
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
thanks, im cheap so i have to make everything
I will definitely have to quote you again on this. Looks good! I couldn't agree with you more that is why I have the junkyard york =$40 and the junkyard bracket=$free. If your sanden craps out let me know and I will give you the top secret junkyard bracket info.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #341
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawlr View Post
I will give you the top secret junkyard bracket info.
you got my curiosity up!
Unread 06-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #342
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i went to auto zone and bought the tj belt. i routed it like a tj does so i wouldnt have to add another idler. it would work except that the taurus ac pump sits up higher than a jeep ac pump. so auto zone let me try a few until one worked. the third time was a charm. it ended up only being an inch longer than a tj, 92" instead of 91".
i then drove to Graingers and picked up the safety and check valves. i thru the switch on and it started pumping air and the belt seems to be tracking perfect. i then heard a loud hissing from the rear of the jeep. i forgot that i had a hole in the bumper where the latch fits into!. i plugged the rear line and tried again. worked great. i deflated my spare and filled it back up in no time. while i was at it i grabbed an air tool and gave it a try. keep in mind the rear bumper(tank) wasnt hooked up. it ran fast for a few seconds and then slowed a lot. i was a little disappointed until i went in the house and realized that the hole time i filled my tire and ran the impact i was idling! tomorrow ill fix the hole and turn up the rpm. one thing im not sure of is if i have the oil er in the right direction. and will it work with the low pressure thats going thru it? it was designed to run downstream of the compressor under high pressure to oil air tools. ill have to make sure its working properly before i run it much. i did squirt some air tool oil in the intake b4 i tested it.
Unread 06-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #343
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

the oba is pretty much complete, i got rid of the cut off valve going to the rear bumper, i replaced it with a quick connect. i also welded up the end of a male fitting that will be in place to keep dirt out of the female quick connect. im still not sure about the oil er, but the oil level is down a little, so it must be working. you can see the belt is run different than a normal yj as to not need a second idler
oba-007.jpg   oba-009.jpg   oba-011.jpg   oba-010.jpg  
Unread 06-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #344
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hey bob. so is your rear bumper air-tight, and thats what you are using as your air tank? or is there actually a tank inside of it or what. im a little confused.
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #345
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

its air tight now, for the most part. i wasnt to careful when i was grinding down the welds and i had a few small leaks on the ends. they didnt show up untill i fixed the 1/2 hole where the swing out locking pin is. i get a few bubbles from the fitting where the air hose is attached, but after 3 passes with the welder i gave up. there is no tank inside the bumper ,it is itself the tank. basically a traveling bomb waiting to go off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.