92 yj build - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 92 yj build

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 12-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #181
shawn900
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the PM Bigsquat. Great build and a nice YJ. I'm new to this but want to tackle building a front bumper from the stock bumper like you did. Could you post up some more pics of your front bumper build process. Thanks

shawn900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #182
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

all the ones i have are in post 102 thru 104. did you see all those?
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #183
shawn900
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Saw those pics. What size angle brackets did you use for the clevis mounts and where can I pick those up? For the push bar how long of a piece of round stock did you use. If you wouldn't mind I would sure like to know the measurements you went with for the bumper. It looks great and I'm going to give it a go. What slots and process did you use to bend the pipe to get the pushbar to come out that way. Thanks
Unread 12-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #184
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn900 View Post
Saw those pics. What size angle brackets did you use for the clevis mounts and where can I pick those up? For the push bar how long of a piece of round stock did you use. If you wouldn't mind I would sure like to know the measurements you went with for the bumper. It looks great and I'm going to give it a go. What slots and process did you use to bend the pipe to get the pushbar to come out that way. Thanks
the angle brackets were from a tow bar that was on the bumper.you can cut up some angle iron or go to a hardware, or electrical store to find them.

i used a 10' piece off 1-1/4" rigid electrical pipe.

as for the push bar bends ,they are at 55* and 11" center to center. i'm sorry i didnt show the center to center in the drawing. since you have 10' of pipe to work with, you can do a test bend to figure out what slots work for your particular bender. the test bend will let you figure the center of bend measurements. but if you just put 2 marks 11" apart , and line those up with the center of the bender ,it should work.

when you start the bend , leave the ends a few inches long. you can then hold it up to the bumper, hold it to the angle and distance up you want it and mark it with a felt pen. then cut it. i think i made it 18" long then cut it down to fit. i did make one out of 1/2" emt first to get all the measurements and angles. if your bender is like mine ,just look at my post that shows it for the pin locations.

i hope this helps.
92-jeep-bumper-drawing-002.jpg  
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 12-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #185
shawn900
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you very much. That helps me visualize things a lot better. Thanks for helping a fellow jeeper out. I am going to start gathering up the pieces to do this. Merry Christmas to you.
Unread 12-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #186
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn900 View Post
Thank you very much. That helps me visualize things a lot better. Thanks for helping a fellow jeeper out. I am going to start gathering up the pieces to do this. Merry Christmas to you.
no problem, dont forget to get so 3/16" flatbar for boxing in the ends of the bumper. some 1/8" works good for putting behind the licence plate slots and holes. then just fill in with weld. if you need more info just ask.

MERRYCHRISTMAS
cold-cat.gif  
Unread 12-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #187
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i test drove it to see if the motor mounts helped the rear steer and the jerking i have on take offs. i noticed no diff at all. the old mounts wernt that bad i guess. back to the drawing board
Unread 12-26-2008, 11:09 PM   #188
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i started looking around the garage and found almost every thing i need to do the anti-wrap.the only thing i need is 4 1/2 grade 8 bolts, nuts , washers. im going to used the left over 6" shackles and rear perch to fab the rear mounting support to the axle. for the front im going to install a frame to frame crossbar and attach the front of the wrap bar to it with one of the stock 4" shackles. i have some left over spring bushings that i will narrow down and insert in some tubing thats welded to the wrap bar. i hope i get it done tomorrow.

i decided to take out my front driveshaft untill i replace it or lengthen it. it was getting pretty sloppy.

pics tomorrow
Unread 12-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #189
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i started to fab the wrap bar ,but rugbygod came over and we installed a lincon locker in his 89 yj. i was worried about doing it untill we discovered it isnt a c-clip axel (yea) At least if he brakes an axle it the wheel wont come out. one of his spiders only had one or two teeth left. any way i did fab some of the wrap bar parts for mine.
wrap-bar.jpg  
Unread 12-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #190
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i finally finished the bar . it looks ok, but after lunch i will test drive it.
wrap-bar-002.jpg   wrap-bar-008.jpg   wrap-bar-009.jpg   wrap-bar-010.jpg   wrap-bar-011.jpg  

Unread 12-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #191
Brads_nky_yj

Hey Bigsquat how do you like your rear shocks like that? I am thinkin about doing them like that when I do my 8.8 swap..
Unread 12-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #192
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

when you do it you will find that you have to flip your muffler, which then gets in the way of the tract bar mount. i didnt need it anyway. it also makes it hard to get an anti wrap bar in. i had to put part of the wrap bar bracket on the pumpkin , and it gets within 1/2 inch of the shock at near full flex.
i have 3 adjustments in my shock truss and i am in the middle one. because i raised the lower shock mount up ,i had to angle them in to get travel. otherwse my shocks would bottom out. my first truss had some problems with the two brackets that i made to attach to the existing mounts. they bent. i redesigned them and they are working great now.
Unread 12-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #193
Brads_nky_yj

My muffler doesnt go back that far anyway so the muffler isnt a problem. I dont run a trac bar so thats fine, and Im not plannin on running a traction bar like you. So its all good. My main question is how you set up the shock mounts on the axle. Could you post some close up pics or PM me the info about it. Thanks!
Unread 12-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #194
bigsquat
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

its not the muffler that gets in the way its the outlet,in post #88 it shows the lower mount, also more pics on the rear shocks are #62-65,#164.
Unread 12-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #195
SleddinJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
i finally finished the bar . it looks ok, but after lunch i will test drive it.
Is it me or is your spring mount bent?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.