92 yj build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 92 yj build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #136
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i new i forgot something! just kidden. that was just for test fit.

red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #137
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I thought I had read in your thread that you didn't want to cut the welds just yet. I figured it was something like that, but you never know, sometimes I forget the no brainers!! Jeep looks great by the way. Good work. I REALLY like what you did with the stock bumper!
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I beat my dog every chance I can get, and you know what, I enjoy it.
bradyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #138
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky67 View Post
Hey where did you get the sleves for invert your tie rods? P.S great looking jeep. Thanks.
the inserts are frrom Scotties 4 wheel drive in camino ca.you will need 4 of them ,Part# 990175=tierod adaptor. i think there made by tera flex. Scotty is a tera flex dealer. he also has good prices on high steering kits and tera 4-1 kits. 530-644-7297

a 3/4 inch drill bit is to big for the inserts ,do a test hole in a scrap piece of metal first and see if when driven in the split gap closes enough. when u look at the pics of me drilling mine tie rod you can see i used a modified uni-bit. I ground off the bigger steps in the bit and drilled all the thru so it left a hole that looks like a regular drill bit was used (no taper)
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Unread 11-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #139
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyman1 View Post
I thought I had read in your thread that you didn't want to cut the welds just yet. I figured it was something like that, but you never know, sometimes I forget the no brainers!! Jeep looks great by the way. Good work. I REALLY like what you did with the stock bumper!
thanks for the comments, Its not perfic but i think its good enough. I would rather spend my money on lockers than an over priced bumper. It amazes me at what people spend on these things, and especially the rear ones with all the works. ofcourse i dont have that fancy warn emblem tho , thats worth a few $
Unread 11-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #140
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
the inserts are frrom Scotties 4 wheel drive in camino ca.you will need 4 of them ,Part# 990175=tierod adaptor. i think there made by tera flex. Scotty is a tera flex dealer. he also has good prices on high steering kits and tera 4-1 kits. 530-644-7297

a 3/4 inch drill bit is to big for the inserts ,do a test hole in a scrap piece of metal first and see if when driven in the split gap closes enough. when u look at the pics of me drilling mine tie rod you can see i used a modified uni-bit. I ground off the bigger steps in the bit and drilled all the thru so it left a hole that looks like a regular drill bit was used (no taper)
Okay, I'll admit that I'm stupid. Need proof? Okay since you asked....
Why do you need 4 inserts? I figured on needing 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #141
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

both ends of the tie rod. The center hole on the tie rod for the stabilizer.. and the tie rod to drag link hole. I thought i only needed 2 and when i bought 2 scotty didnt say i needed 4 either. when i fliped the tie rod i found that the tapers were now backwards at the other 2 locations. so back in the truck for a drive to get the other two. we are all stupid.

Last edited by bigsquat; 11-21-2008 at 10:18 PM..
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #142
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
both ends of the tie rod. The center hole on the tie rod for the stabilizer.. and the tie rod to drag link hole. I thought i only needed 2 and when i bought 2 scotty didnt say i needed 4 either. when i fliped the tie rod i found that the tapers were know backwards at the other 2 locations. so back in the truck for a drive to get the other two. we are all stupid.
Ahh! Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up for me! I have a small amount of bump steer on my '91 SUA, so I've been thinking of doing that mod. I really don't like the idea of a dropped pitman arm. I don't have any experiences, good or bad, with them, but It just seems like we (Jeep owners) spend a lot of time raising things up so dropping a steering component seems counter-productive to me I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #143
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Ahh! Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up for me! I have a small amount of bump steer on my '91 SUA, so I've been thinking of doing that mod. I really don't like the idea of a dropped pitman arm. I don't have any experiences, good or bad, with them, but It just seems like we (Jeep owners) spend a lot of time raising things up so dropping a steering component seems counter-productive to me I guess?
i see you have about 4" of lift. you should have bump steer wthout the drop arm. mine has a drop arm and was fine untill i raised the frame up another 2". The tie rod flip worked great.
Unread 11-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #144
richmond1273
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if i ever go soa i'm going to make this anti-wrap bar

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ntiwrapbar.htm

best is locating dead center but most people put it on the driverside

1995 Wrangler 4.0 AX15 NP231 D30 & 35 4.10 gears
3" Rough Country suspension 33x12.50 Mastercraft MT

2007 JK 3.8 42RLE Auto NV241 D30 & D44 4.10 gears
richmond1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #145
snkwired
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond1273 View Post

Nice i was at a tractor supply place and was wondering if there was a way to use those for anti-wrap
snkwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #146
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

thats the same bar i was going to copy,and have a pic of it saved . I get a lot of ideas from pirate , im not to far from their office. im thinking now of not using tractor joints and using pipe and spring eye bushings.
here is some more ideas
anti-wrap-bar-6.jpg   antiwrap5.jpg   anti-wrap-bar-4.jpg  
Unread 11-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #147
richmond1273
1995 YJ Wrangler 

that last one is interesting, never seen it done that way before.

1995 Wrangler 4.0 AX15 NP231 D30 & 35 4.10 gears
3" Rough Country suspension 33x12.50 Mastercraft MT

2007 JK 3.8 42RLE Auto NV241 D30 & D44 4.10 gears
richmond1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #148
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
that last one is interesting, never seen it done that way before.
that one is intersesting, since i put the shock truss in theres no room for that method.

the secound one uses a johnny joint, there worth looking into.
Unread 12-01-2008, 12:41 AM   #149
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i haven't worked on the jeep in a while. i had to start trying to generate a little cash, so I'm buying cars that need work and fixing, then reselling them. I totalled up some of my receipts on the jeep and was surprised at how much i spent on parts.

2" frame lift 0
Dana 44 complete assembly 50
2-4:10 gear sets 80
2-aussies 507.86
sye 189
rear cv drive shaft 0 labor 60
2 spare d30 axle shafts 0
4 sky jacker shocks 144
steering stabilizer 35
highliftjack 39
front bumper 0
hand throttle 25
paint,pb,solvent 200
shackles 50
bush kit 81
greasable bolts 50
posi loc 35
np231 rebuild kit 105
d44 axle bearings and seals 93.76 labor 30
d44 rebuild kit 125
d30 axle u-joints 60
2-carriers d30/d44 40
4 tera flex tie rod inserts 30
tranny mount 35
caviler seats 50
shock truss 0
dana 30 seals 40
5- 33x12.50 tires and rims 150
2 tj flares 20
jack mount 0
ax15 rear seal 10
hard door parts 83.79
total parts 2332.41
total labor 90
1992 yj 3800
total parts and labor 6132.41 not including registration and sales tax on the jeep
Unread 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #150
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

After looking at the total cost( and there where more than listed) i might of been better off buying on already done! Not to mention all the man hours i put in. What would it cost to have all that work done buy a mechanic. What could i sell my jeep for?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.