Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

92 yj build

120K views 611 replies 83 participants last post by  bigsquat 
#1 ·
Well i finally think i have most of the parts and tools to start upgrading the yj. The plan is to change the gearing from 3.54 to 4.10,add aussies front and back.,replace the dana 35 with a 44,slipyoke eliminator,home made posilock,Add another 2" off lift to the existing 4" lift with 6" booms and lowering the spring perches 2".Also going to install a hand throttle,replace the dana 30 wheel joints ,use a cut down front driveline from a xj for the rear of the yj.i need to repaint at least the right front fender or maybe the whole jeep.Ill try to post pics as i go.

Attachments

See less See more
#57 ·
thanks ,we will see if it works, Lunch is over so its time to install the springs(if the paints dry)

#58 ·
I got all 4 springs and booms on. looks like there going to articulate real nice.

Attachments

#59 ·
started to install the d44. the perches i bought are not going to work. They are a little to long and will limit my travel.They also will make me lose about 3/4" of lift. I cleaned up the old ones and will be reusing them.

Attachments

#60 ·
Something i did earlier was install some seats out of a 97 cavalier

Attachments

#61 ·
When setting the d44 pinion angle, i was going to aim it str8 at the transfercase yoke then turn down 1 degree to allow for axle wrap up under load. Or should i go 2 degrees?

#62 ·
I spent the better part of today making a rear upper shock truss. It only gives me 3 spots for adjustment.I still have to decide where to mount the lower end, to stay away from the rocks and give me a lot of travel.The truss wasnt exactly what i intended to do but i wanted to use material i had laying around. Since i had no u-bolts to mount it to the existing shock location i had to come up with an alternitive,which was to cut the eye off one of the existing shocks and weld it to a channel thats bolted to the truss.I think it came out good enough.

#63 ·
some pics, they didnt go thru the 1st time

Attachments

#64 · (Edited)
Today its another sunny day so i hope i can take the front end apart and back together. put in the 4.10, aussie,and posilock.

#65 ·
Before i started on the d30 i painted the shock truss and installed it. It apears i will have to turn my muffler upside down to put the outlet closer to the frame. This will give me room for the pass shock to angle in.I did get to the d30 and changed the gears ,seals and put the aussie in.

Attachments

#66 ·
The seals took a little work to get in the d30.I made some tools to help, i havent done them before ,but it wasnt bad. I should get the front assembly in tommorrow.Pismo is getting closer, i will probably skip the posi-lock tillafter the trip, the vac still works.

Attachments

#67 ·
Stayed up till 4 last nite ,so im getting a late start. (Poker)I should get the d30 under the jeep today, then i can get the tires on and put some weight on the axles. Then i can measure for driveline or lines.What is the best setup on the slip yokes? ive heard just have them in the middle of ther travel.I think that i would have them favor the closed position more because it seems like they will travel more out than in. Am i correct in this thinking? Do u think ill have to extend the front with a 6" lift?

#68 ·
slipyoke setup

ill try one more time .whats the best gap measurement for the slip yoke gap?

#69 ·
Dude that shock mounting bar looks sweet! Excellent!

:thumbsup:

#70 · (Edited)
thanks , i was going to copy some others id seen ,but that would mean i would have to go buy parts. Since I'm cheap i made it from whats lying around.But the same prince able as others

#71 ·
posilock

I decided to go ahead with the posilock. I had a hard time finding the right spring, but I got a free one from the local brake shop. those guys keep barrels of old brake parts that they dont mind giving up. It was a spring that goes inside a wheel cylinder.It has beveled washers on the ends which centers itself perfect .I read a lot of the threads on doing this and they are quit good. I did however didnt see any that addressed all i wanted to do. I want to get rid of the vac diaphram ( because its ugly) ,and have the dash 4x4 lite work,so i had to make the shaft slide in its normal way but seal the end wth out the diaframe housing. I cut the shaft down and solderd a 1/2 copper pipe end fitting on what was left of the diaphram housing. There is a small o-ring on the shaft which i had to take of becuase it would hydroloc the shaft. once removed the shaft slid freely.

Attachments

#73 · (Edited)
I got the bolts from jeep camping .com, ther located in placerville ca. James cossey the ceo is very helpfull for parts and info.

#74 ·
I went ahead and install new greaseable axle u joints. I just need to paint the d30 and its ready to install.

Attachments

#75 ·
I painted the d30 and set in place this morning.I still have to bolt everything up. Its starting to take shape.I went and cut out the muffler and turned it over to get the outlet close to the frame and away from the new shock location. It seems the old track bar mount is in the way of the tail pipe now , so ill sawzall it off.

#76 · (Edited)
I will have to raise the jeep a lot higher to get the wheels back on. I sure wish i had a lift. Maybe some bigger logs. I was a little afraid of using the rounds but its way more sturdy than jack stands.

Attachments

#77 ·
Here are some pics of the muffler swop and shock location

Attachments

#78 ·
Nice going! You're really getting a LOT of work done. :thumbsup:

I wish I could get myself motivated to get some of my ideas in action.....:rolleyes:

#79 ·
Thanks Max, tommoro the wheels go on and i can get the rear driveline cut down. I checked the front driveline and it wont require any modes , or to the skid plate. I thought for sure I was going to have to cut a notch in the skid .

#80 · (Edited)
I got the rear and front brakes on, steering stabilizer, drag link, rear brake lines,front shocks,tires,oil in the diffs, transfercase,and more. I put the jeep on the ground for the first time and the hight is exactly what i was after. Now i can get the rear driveline measured. I left the front off because i noticed one of the u-joints was a little tight.I really want to drive it to see if the home made perch extenions will work out, or will i go into a death wobble and die a firey death!the to do list is getting shorter, finish posi-loc,hand throttle,rear driveline, install hard top, paint right front fender and one hard door,high lift jack mount, cut down front bumper, and add some tow hooks.If i had the money i would by front and rear bumpers ,winch, and a rubicon rack but the budjet is at its limit.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.