92 YJ 4 banger "Olivia" build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 92 YJ 4 banger "Olivia" build.

Ruffstuff 10 year saleBDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-24-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
Scarface6174
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 YJ 4 banger "Olivia" build.

I just found out that there is a build forum. So I'm gonna just consolidate my other thread in the tech forum here.

So as a background into why I have Olivia, it's been 13 years in the making. My father had a jeep the whole time I was growing up. He had em before I was born as well. I joined the USMC and got a girlfriend (who just happened to end up as my wife) and I had to have a way to visit her down in San Diego from Camp Pendleton. So i got myself a super economical vehicle with super good interest to go see her (Heavy on the sarcasm)! Needless to say, I got married, had kids, and the Jeep went away cause it was 'unsafe' or whatever.

13 years after that, (currently) I helped a friend sell an RV and I got 1/2 the profit. Enter Olivia. She's 23 years old, been 1/2way taken care of, and has been offroad a little bit.

dsc_0949.jpg   dsc_0952.jpg   dsc_0955.jpg  
Scarface6174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 11:26 PM   #2
Scarface6174
1992 YJ Wrangler 

When I got her, she was very very stock. Not just stock configuration, but a LOT of original equipment. All the suspension was original, the radiator, the busted tail light, all that stuff. This was the 1st jeep that I was going to get to wrench on, and I figured it would be a good learning curve for me. MAN was I right.

---Fixes---

I got very familiar with the cooling system because the PO let the radiator rot. Something about using tap water as coolant (I think) made the fins corrode. Also, the water pump was on the edge of failing. Had to replace those.

The transfer case bolt that goes to the skid plate was loose as anything. I had a nasty shake when starting in 1st or in reverse. Had to buy a washer to fix that, so not so bad.

The rear right tail light was busted, and the replacement light had a different wiring harness, so I had to splice that in.

There was a whining sound coming from the engine bay after the engine warmed up. It was a loose bolt on the air intake.

The air filter had oil on it. The CCV system vent to the intake was totally and horribly clogged. I cleaned it and the valve cover, changed the gasket and PROPERLY torqued down the gasket and stopped it from leaking as well.

The engine still burns about a quart of oil a month. I am pretty sure this engine has NEVER been overhauled, and I'll probably have to either do that OR get a not as old engine.

+++UPGRADES+++

I wanted to start in easy on upgrades, so I plasti-dipped the wheels.

I thought I lost my stock car jack that was mounted under the hood while wheeling the 1st time, so I bought a hi-lift and mounted it on the hood.

I did a 2.5" RC lift. Still working some bugs outta some vibes, but I think it's because the u joints had to get their wear spots in their new alignment.

I just installed a new steering dampener today cause I accidentally found one for $15 on craigslist.
water-pump.jpg   radiator-1.jpg   img_0404.jpg   118_1202.jpg   118_1209.jpg  

118_1231.jpg  
Unread 06-25-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
Scarface6174
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't NEED to do much else. But I own a Jeep. Like that's gonna stop me.

I do want bigger tires. I've found that 31's are the biggest I should go, so that's what I'm gonna do.

I want to put on sway bar disconnects. I want to go off roading about twice a month, and it's a pain to have to take off the nuts and wedge off the sway bar links. Along with that, I need some brake line extensions if I want to actually disconnect.

I want some sort of lunchbox locker in the front. It wouldn't be active when in 2WD, so there should be minor clicking when driving this daily driver around town.

I want to paint the hood because one of the POs had a bra over it. Ugh.

Of course a winch will be involved at some point.

I want to get an extended bikini top because I will continue to take 3 kids out with me. Sitting in the sun the whole time doesn't seem like much fun.

But that's pretty much it. This vehicle is my daily driver, and it's a 4 banger. I don't want to upgrade axles or change gearing to crawl better, because it'll ruin my day to day gas mileage too much (I think).

Oh, and about me, I'm an A&P mechanic that's worked on helicopters for about 10 years now. 4 in the USMC, and 6 after for the Army. I joke that I've actually been in the Army longer than the Marines. I'm a pretty decent helicopter mechanic who is just starting to dabble in automotive stuff. I don't have that many tools at home (they're all at work), and absolutely no power anything. I figure that'll change here in the future when I start doing my own modifications or having to cut bolts out with a cutting wheel (which I had to do on the lift. I borrowed a buddies grinder).

Here's to jeeping in Eastern Washington State!
11297740_10205653003978710_522901083_n.jpg  
Unread 07-25-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
Scarface6174
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't done much to it. Saving up for 33's. I did go jeeping today and installed a CB so I could talk to the other guy with me. Used a Dremel and removed some of the plastic and metal around the old ash tray. Fit the 2nd time I put it in! Now all I gotta do is figure out how to make it transmit better.... I can transmit about 1/8 mile, but if the person I'm with goes around a corner, nothing.
118_1363.jpg   118_1364.jpg  
Unread 08-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Scarface6174
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Put some new beef on it! 32x11.5xR15s. After putting them on i realised that I need new longer bump stops so it doesn't rub/ bottom out my shocks. I also found out that I my tires rub on the leaf springs at ALMOST full left or right. So I guess I need some new wheels with some backspacing. Always something.....
tires-3.jpg   tires-4.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.