Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

92 Sahara Build

850 views 9 replies 1 participant last post by  M1doesmytalking 
#1 ·
Just a thread to show what ive done to my 92 wrangler sahara so far and any more progress it will make

#4 ·
after wheeling the 2.5 inch lift for a while i decided to take the build to another level so i went and bought a set of one ton axles. a HP kingpin dana 60 from a 79 ford 1 ton truck and the matching rear axle for $1000 the axles were geared to 5.38 to one and were locked front and rear. the plan was to swap them under the jeep SOA setup

#7 ·
after the rear end was bolted in its place, the extra lift from the SOA made it so the drivline could not reach the pinon because of the length of a stock yj driveshaft. in solution i went to lowes bought some grade 8 bolts and cut some 3 inch body lift pucks in half to make a 1.5 inch Transfer case drop kit. with the help of a conversion u-joint from the jeep shaft to the dana 60 yolk. the rear of the jeep was complete.
Flexin the rear..

#8 ·
Now for the front.. oddly enough the axles i bought had the spring perches set in the right place for my wrangler so as far as the ubolts and stuff went i just had to buy some plates and bolts and bolt the axles on. as i set the front underneath i connected the extended brake lines i had made 38 inches in length. as for steering i bolted the dana 60 steering arm on the axle built a drag link and used the ford tie rod and a stock grand cherokee pitman arm and the steering was complete. driveline had to be shortened
but another conversion joint later and the front axle was done

#10 ·
Couple weeks later i found out the hard way that the gears in the back of my dana 60 i had bought were set up in the diff wrong. when the diff exploded on the freeway ruining the housing. and everything inside the diff, the locker survived however. a ring and pinion housing and install kit later my jeep was back on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.