'92 Comanche Restoration/Build thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '92 Comanche Restoration/Build thread

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 11-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #46
PurpleTJ
Consistently Inconsistent

1998 TJ Wrangler 

yes! another MJ build! lookin great so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #47
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
FWIW, the ZJ D44a rear discs are no different than the 35 discs, but FOrd Explorer or Crown Vic rear discs are an easier swap given the odd bolt pattern on the axle housing flange. I have Explorer discs on my 44.

Great looking truck BTW!
Yup, I discovered the Explorer/Crown Vic option while doing a bit more research. I am not activly looking for them, but.....

Thanks for the comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdarx View Post
It's coming along nicely if not somewhat slow. I tried to get a Comanche a few months ago, but I just missed out on it. If I do get one, I want one like that, a 91 or 92.
Haha, I am slow Truly, what is keeping me from stripping the truck down is not having a 99-01 XJ donor ready to go, so I just keep driving it until I have the parts ready to go. The 91/92 are the only years available with the Mopar High Output 4.0. I just stumbled across this particular truck while searching for an MJ and just had to have the '92. Not that it makes much difference, since the plan is to rework most of the electrical system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okemos98TJ View Post
yes! another MJ build! lookin great so far
Thank you for the compliment! There is not much more unique than a Jeep Comanche.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 01:26 AM   #48
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

December 17, 2009
Picked this beauty up from a little town near Columbia, MO.

1999 Jeep Cherokee
- AW4
- NP231
- Cruise
- 155,100 miles
- New 235/75r156 tires
- New AC system
- Rolled on its side into a ditch
- Exhaust cut right after Catalytic Converter
- Shot front axle outter shaft u-joint

Interior is in good shape less the stale aroma of old cigarettes. Ran around the farm today. Never got hot and the auxiliary fan seems to work like it should. Now it is time to get serious about this MJ project!

Last edited by 87warrior; 12-20-2009 at 11:48 PM..
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #49
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So does this mean you are putting the 99 front clip and interior on the Comanche? Its a shame about that steel blue XJ, I really like that color. I would actually really like to see a Comanche painted that color.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #50
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My goal is to give the MJ the doors, dash, engine, transmission, transfer case, wirring, and pcm from the +97 XJ. I also have good sheet metal for the front clip if I want to go that route.

The only good metal on the XJ is the hood and driverside rear door. It is a shame it was totaled, but it's soul will live on!
Unread 12-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #51
Fireball
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdarx View Post
So does this mean you are putting the 99 front clip and interior on the Comanche? Its a shame about that steel blue XJ, I really like that color. I would actually really like to see a Comanche painted that color.
Ask and you will receive. This was my 86, painted in the 98 gunmetal blue. I did this truck back in 99 and at the time I had wanted to transfer the newer XJ front clip, but didn't have the know how or resources (it was my daily driver!). I really miss my MJ.
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #52
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
Ask and you will receive. This was my 86, painted in the 98 gunmetal blue. I did this truck back in 99 and at the time I had wanted to transfer the newer XJ front clip, but didn't have the know how or resources (it was my daily driver!). I really miss my MJ.
Truly a good looking truck you had there. I have never met a person who owned an MJ and was pleased with themselves after they sold it. MJ's are simply awesome trucks.

I am going to spend this week getting everything on the donor XJ is proper working condition prior to stripping it down. This way I will know if something doesn't work, I hooked it or put it together wrong After Christmas the MJ will start to be dismantled, back to front and all removable sheet metal and drivetrain, down to the shell but still a roller chassis to get it on the trailer.
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #53
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

December 22, 2009
I spent the day working with the donor.

My first order of business was to remove the front sheet metal that was bent/banged up. The findings:
- Both front fenders junk
- Header panel junk, bezels in good shape
- Hood perfect

Then I decided to install the doors I picked up earlier this year to make sure everything works (locks, mirrors, windows). To my surprise they all worked flawlessly!

I then removed the stereo. There was an electrical nightmare of exposed wires, poor splices, and a hot amp wire in the cargo area. Yanked all of that out and threw it in the junk pile. I will be running a factory XJ head unit in here eventually.

Image of the vitals:

Took it for a spin down the county road and tested the cruise control. To my amazement, it too worked flawlessly!

Next step will be to get the MJ down to a rolling shell.
Unread 12-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #54
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Crawled. I feel like the red headed step child here, am I the only one that likes the old style body and interior? Just kidding. I almost went the same direction. Great start, looking forward to seeing your progress.
kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #55
woodkrawler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Glad to see another MJ build....looking good!
woodkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #56
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I absolutely love the +97 XJ interior. Way more comfy than the older style. Plus, it makes me feel like I am driving my TJ (a good thing ) I will probably go with the +97 front end sheet metal, but I could change my mind, again.

Purchased an XJ Infinity stereo system for the Jeep. Factory CD, amp, harness, and speakers are on their way. I have always liked the factory Jeep radios over the misfit aftermarket options. I will have to get creative to get all of it shoved in the MJ

Last edited by 87warrior; 12-23-2009 at 03:35 PM..
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #57
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Keep us posted. I really really like this build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #58
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered a set of MJ bucket seat brackets/sliders. Should be here any day.

Dropped the headliner out of the XJ. I am trying to get it torn down as far as possible while maintaining all of the electrical functions.

The past couple of days have been spent cleaning out the barn where most of the build will take place. As long as the wind we are getting does not drift the access road to the barn shut, I hope to have the MJ tear down start next week
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #59
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How much do you have into the build so far?
How much was the Comanche and Cherokee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #60
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
How much do you have into the build so far?
How much was the Comanche and Cherokee?
I spent WAY too much on the truck. $3k. Granted, it was advertised as a rust free truck in immaculate condition. I was probably blinded by the 4.0HO to notice how terrible the body is. If it had been in good shape, I would have just fixed a few things and drove it as is.

The XJ was was a little steep, IMHO, at $900 but it runs smooth and everything works on it.

Bed/bed paint work was a College graduation gift from my folks

January 25, 2010
Due to recent snow melt, I have been unable to get the MJ to the barn where the tear down will begin. It has been a struggle getting to the barn with my Rubicon to continue the XJ work. Luckily we will have a few hard freezes this week.

I received some XJ Infinity stereo components from PavementPounder. He will be sending the harness pieces soon. I have always liked Jeep stereos and want the MJ to have one. The head unit has been fitted in the XJ and works great. I will worry about wiring the amp/speakers up once MJ interior work starts.

Last week I was able to take the carpet out of the XJ and got started on pulling apart the main body harness. Found the passenger side floor boards to be rusted out. Working on removing the rear doors and hatch harness pieces in the XJ so I know all other electrical functions work before I pull the harness out of the XJ.

To all people who smoke in their rigs I was gagging while removing the seat/carpet/console out of the XJ. The ash and butts were everywhere!

Picked up a steering wheel from a local club. The XJ's wheel is missing 1/2 of the leather wrapping.

I 'riced out' the gauge cluster that will be used in the truck (200K miles, identical to the truck). Painted the white needles amber for a cleaner look. LEDs in the cluster crossed my mind, but I find the factory lighting perfect at night.

Lastly, I have been working on getting the Manufacturer Tag for the driver side door. Not many folks think of this, but if the vehicle gets inspected, they usually compare the dash tag to the tittle to the door tag. Not a problem in KS since the MJ already got its out-of-state registration inspection (VIN check). But I want the truck to be like it should be.

Thats all for now, pray for COLD weather so I can attack the truck

Last edited by 87warrior; 01-25-2010 at 12:12 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.