91 YJ SLOOOOW Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 91 YJ SLOOOOW Build

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #76
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Couple questions actually, I want to stay manual with my setup, but the transmission that I'm dying for is waaay out of my budget (np 435 muncie) is there other 4 speed Tranny's that have the legendary strength the muncie has?? I'd like a 4 speed but I'd settle for 5 or 6. Also, can anybody tell what axle that is under that truck?? Thank you

CleverNameHere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #77
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you do some shopping you will find a 435 for cheap. They are plentiful and very cheap to buy. If you are looking for a rebuilt unit that may be a different story. I paid 100 bucks for mine and another 250 or so for a rb kit, but it really didn't need it.
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #78
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The only ones I could find around here are around $900 non rebuilt lowest was $650
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #79
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, now to play the waiting game. And a couple questions. The garage I'm gunna be doing the swap in is taken up by this kid who doesn't know his a** from his elbow, and he's tryin to replace his whole clutch on a 92 f150.... started out about a month ago by unbolting the tranny from the engine, completely disregarding the driveline, at least he remembered to throw a jack under there. And that's as far as he's gotten. Did I mention that hes my girlfriends, sisters bf?? In her dads garage?? Sorry... I had to get that off my chest. Anyways. I've got my 350, lookin around online for motor mounts, thinking of weld in, however I'd have to get a pro to weld them in, I'm a pretty good welder, buuuuut this is crucial, and I don't trust my own that much. Figured on novak of course, gotta do it right the first time. I've ran into a tranny problem though, now I have 2 tranny's; stock chevy 5 speed that was run quite rough, but still shifts and functions smoothly. 350 bellhousing, etc. The second tranny is a saginaw 3 speed, really nice condition, shifts smooth, 350 bellhousing, was in an old 70's chevy truck I was told, came with a driveline, clutch components, etc. My questions are, which tranny should I use?? Or should I not use either and wait for something better?? Also, if you've had any experience with the 3 or 5 speed your information would be greatly appreciated, I'll try and post pics in a while, thank you
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #80
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission choice depends on what you'll be doing with the rig. I went with an NP435 becuase of its 6.69:1 crawl gear in first. Yeah, it's unsynchronized, yeah, it lacks OD, yeah, it is heavier than sin; but it all fit my build. Extra torque multiplication when I need it, super beef strength, parts are readily avaliable, and I got it for cheap. $400 with it's attached Dana 20 transfer case. I couldn't pass it up. That said, the Jeep isn't my DD. It is only a weekend warrior and crawler. Maybe every now and then I'll take it out on sunny nice days when I've got that itch for riding around with no top or doors, but highway speeds aren't possible anymore. And I'm ok with that, becuase that's not what I ask her to do anymore.

Just sit back and really decide what you need/want from your rig, then make decisions from there.
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #81
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

image-1196347664.jpg

This is the Saginaw 3 speed
And it won't let me upload the 5 speed
Unread 09-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #82
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hey, i know it was a while ago when you got those rims, but i noticed the one guy said you should have gotten 15x10s, I recently ordered some 15x8s myself and plan to put a 12.5 wide tire on them. I've heard people with both say they can air down quite low without breaking the bead, the only reason to move up to the ten inches to me is if you want to go wider than a 12.5, just my two cents/ a lot of it depends on how and where you plan on driving.
flipit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #83
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipit View Post
hey, i know it was a while ago when you got those rims, but i noticed the one guy said you should have gotten 15x10s, I recently ordered some 15x8s myself and plan to put a 12.5 wide tire on them. I've heard people with both say they can air down quite low without breaking the bead, the only reason to move up to the ten inches to me is if you want to go wider than a 12.5, just my two cents/ a lot of it depends on how and where you plan on driving.
Well, eventually I may run larger than 12.5's, but for now.... Those rims look pretty cool
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #84
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I will agree that the prior rim comments were somewhat bad advice. You can compensate the stance, or width, with back spacing as well. It is also true many like a 8" tire as an alternative to going full on beadlocks. Not that they are equivalent to bead locks but they hold a 12.5 better at low pressure. Nothing wrong with those wheels.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #85
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with everyone saying bigger wheels would be better, don't get me wrong, it's just the fact that I needed different wheels and i got these 5 for $250 with all the extra's... I mean... who in their right mind would pass up that deal haha. And eventually yes, i would love wider, beadlocked wheels. Oncer I turn this Jeep into a monster of a rockcrawler, lol yyyeeaarrssss down the road. Right now it's main use is to get me to and from work
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #86
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Subd up! excited to see the swap

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #87
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Progress: After work, I moved my Chevy (which I dubbed the "Backwoods Beast" lol) to the front of the garage, after pulling that kids Ford out of the way. started getting sidetracked by my gf wanting me to start fixin her rig too, 02 Chevy impala with ignition/shifter/wiring problems. Then started cleaning the garage out some.
Tomorrow: finish cleaning the garage out enough to poke the Beasts nose in and start ripping out the 350. I'll be taking many many pictures all the way through my progress.... It's so close I can taste it.... Oh, and it's supposed to be sunny where I live this weekend... Lucky me to be stuck at a weddin Thursday till Monday.
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #88
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, windshield is cracked to hell... Branch from the storms lately. Jeep finally crapped out, trying to find another vehicle to drive while my Jeep is out of order. Gunna have to use the engine swap $$ so that'll get pushed back.... Or... I could buy a few gallons of gas and matches, and collect some insurance money just kidding of course..
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #89
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Started tearing the engine outa the backwoods beast

image-441012860.jpg

image-1935181896.jpg

Being a one man band I had to be creative when takin the hood off
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #90
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here she is
image-1341859259.jpg

image-2999475772.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.