91 YJ SLOOOOW Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 91 YJ SLOOOOW Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #31
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Why did it bleep out the sex of a dog??...

CleverNameHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #32
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, also, a question; should I keep my half hard doors, or sell em and use the money for full doors??
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did some more work today after school since it was nice, I've decided to make my own light grills to cover all the lights and protect them. So I took off all the pass side light covers
Haha, looks like my jeep got a black eye.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I then covered up the holes and screws and stuff.... Felt the need to do that, idk, thought that it might rain and my jeep would fall apart in the morning if I didn't, haha
[IMG][/IMG]
All the stuff i pulled off and my measurement taker
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #34
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, and before i forget, I went through some flood road water with it the other day... again and again and again...
http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=003-3.mp4
2nd Video
http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=002-1.mp4
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #35
92wrongler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like half hard doors.
You can take the upper doors off easily.
As far as ordering parts,?
Quadratec and 4wd Parts
Both will send you free catalogs to drool over.

Careful!!! Both catalogs have been known to cause ___________________

Guys, fill in the blank with your own words.
92wrongler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #36
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh ya, I take the top doors off before I drive every time, you can't see through them anymore, so they're useless, And I've been drooling over those sites, so much stuff i can use.....
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #37
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So I have a lil story for my next plan that I will be starting after I take the fender flares off tomorrow....
I helped my GF's dad take the 700r4 tranny out of his Chevy 1500 a week or so back, and he gave me this
[IMG][/IMG]
So i was thinkin, ok, new compresser for little jobs and stuff.... but then i looked at this
[IMG][/IMG]
Hmmmmmm... Idea forming, what if guys... what if.. check this out guys.. hat if I put the compressor.. guys.. the compressor.. guys....... In the back of the jeep and hook it up to the battery!!!! rig a switch to the middle of the power wire and it wont drain my battery or kick on and scare the piss out of me while I'm driving. has anybody done this?? If i can, I'll start tomorrow, I'm battling the rain here and losing, but when I do it I'll put pics and stuff, any thoughts?? also, I felt the need to share this:
[IMG][/IMG]
I painted it in art class, took me 3 weeks, I know it's not a jeep.... but Hendrix is still amazing. And I know, I messed up on the guitar neck, but she wouldn't let me use any more black paint
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #38
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh!! And I built a welder cart in shop
[IMG][/IMG]
And this is Mike, haha
[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #39
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so I've heard alot of good news about the 4.3 swap into the YJ....and... I think that i will do that... I hate wiring though, but I definitely need more engine. I just don't know the complete cost of doing that, anybody got any ideas?? and I was also wondering what would be a good manual tranny to hook behind that, any suggestions (including different engine) are very welcome, and I will be starting it this summer (hopefully before if I can get any sort of money) But i can't have a non working vehicle parked outside for more than 3-4 months, is that too short of time to do anything?? Also, if you think i should just stay with my 2.5 fuel injected, please say your opinion, I greatly appreciate any helpful inquiries on this thread
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #40
mudmobeeler

You can also get some of the hard uppers for your hard lower door and it would make it a full hard door that would work with your hard top. If it were me I would do that and then buy a new besttop supertop with soft uppers that will work in your hard lowers. That way you would have the full hard doors and hard top for winter, the half hard doors with soft uppers and a soft top for spring and fall. Then take the top off and leave the half hard doors or remove them also for summer. The hard uppers cost though. But a new soft top with soft uppers can be had for less than most people want for a used hard top.

If your doing a 4.3 swap and want to keep a manual trans behind it look for an s10 you could buy motor, tranny, and transfer case out of. Also get the complete wiring harness from the whole vehicle, you may not use it all but you would at least have it. Not for sure on the years but I THINK almost every 5 speed behind a 4.3 was a NV3550 but I could be wrong. They arent a bad tranny that I have ever heard of. and they are lighter than the NV4500. However if you cant find a complete drivetrain from an s10 and have to piece something together I would go with the NV4500. Very strong, was used behind the cummins in dodge 3/4 and one ton trucks. GM used it also and its still a good tranny but the Dodge versions had a lower first gear. GM had some trucks with the 4.3 with the NV4500 behind it but I think it was very rare and possible a special order only deal so you prob wont find any in a junkyard, you might get lucky though.

88 Chevy Blazer, PAID FOR! Four inch front springs, greaseable front spring bushings, Offroad Design front shackles, Offroad Design rear 4 in shackle flip. Stock drivetrain with som 35 12.50 BFG KM2s. Lots of trail help on paint and body work.
mudmobeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #41
mudmobeeler

Oh and doing a complete swap isnt something you can do in a day so be prepared for that. Going from a 2.5 to anything else you will need alot of new (or new to you) stuff like motor mounts, radiator, fan shroud, fluids, etc. etc. This list can be long so be prepared. And unless you know for a fact (see it run and drive or even buy it as a running/driving vehicle) I would think hard about a full rebuild of motor, tranny, transfer case before you put it all in. It doesnt have to be done but if you buy used you may or may not know the condition of what your buying. Not saying to make it into a performance vehicle but just a simple overhaul if you can get by with it. Ive just seen so many people work really hard to get a motor swap done as soon as possible and on the first start it has a rod knocking or something that would require a rebuild. Now its got to be pulled back out and rebuilt anyway and now you have wasted some time and money. Just my two cents.

88 Chevy Blazer, PAID FOR! Four inch front springs, greaseable front spring bushings, Offroad Design front shackles, Offroad Design rear 4 in shackle flip. Stock drivetrain with som 35 12.50 BFG KM2s. Lots of trail help on paint and body work.
mudmobeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #42
92wrongler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go to Novak Adapters.
They have most stuff needed for a V8 swap into a YJ.
Definitely read through ALL their how tos so you can see how involved it is.
As stated, you're changing out the motor, so bigger radiator, better transmission, better t-case or upgrade yours, motor mounts, exhaust, rewiring.
Definitely do some reading before you start.
92wrongler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #43
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ya, I figured It would take me a month or 2 even with some help. But there are a lot of s-10 around here as far as I've seen. and mud, they make hard upper doors that attach to bottom doors?? I didn't know that... and they keep rain out pretty well?? And wrongler, I've been pouring myself onto Novak ever since someone pointed me there a year or 2 ago such good information, but I thought the 4.3 was a v6 not a v8?? If I'm wrong I'll feel quite dumb, haha. Oh, and mud, I planned on buying a vehicle where the engine is running, but maybe the tranny doesn't work or something, so then I know I'm getting an engine that works..... I've had a bad history of buying vehicles with an "easy fix" and not getting it fixed cuz the whole thing is toast. And I have heard very good things about the nv4500, and I'm kickin myself in the a** right now cuz There was one on Craigslist a few months ago out of a "totaled" dodge dakota 4x4 with 88,000 miles on it $700 though, they knew what they had. But I might try to find an sm465 and rebuild it, those are stout lil transmissions, even though they're only 4 spd, they're alot smaller than most other tranny's too... would that be beneficial to a jeep for a longer back drive-shaft and a shorter trans?? Huh.. It might not be very good for it come to think of it.. Oh well, thank you guys I have alot to research and a list to make and junkyards to scrounge in
Unread 03-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #44
CleverNameHere
1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/cto/2912169802.html
Found an s10 with a V6..... Should I try for it?? Or wait... I might be able to scrounge up $800
Unread 03-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #45
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

You're in Oregon?!?! N

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.