91 YJ D60 swap - Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 91 YJ D60 swap - Build Thread

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 08-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

91 YJ D60 swap - Build Thread

Bought my 91 Wrangler about a year ago with plans to swap out the axles from a full size 78-79 bronco. But then I ran across this sweet deal that I couldn't pass up, $600 to my door Dana 60s and all.
78 F250

Not much to look at, but got the job done. It came with matching d60, 4.10 gearing, and the crown jewel 78 high pinion, kingpin knuckles dana 60. I sold the other parts from the truck to help cover the cost of the donor truck and to fund the build. I have been collecting parts and working on the axles for a couple months here the plan is to throw the D60 under this:

So far I have swapped the rear drum brakes with a Chevy disk brake conversion from Ruff Stuff (I would recommend them to any one, where else can you call and have the owner walk you through the project). Got a hi-steer arm on the front axle from Parts Mike (again, highly recommended). I have started swapping out the dual piston calipers, which are near impossible to break the bolts holding the caliper to the cast iron bracket.
New axles, slightly cleaned up:

Yesterday, I pulled the rear axle out first:

Old axle, going to the scrapper:

Next steps are to strip the paint of the rear of the frame and coat with some POR 15. Put the SYE kit from JB conversions on and lose the transfer case drop spacers. This isn't going to be the fasted build, any free time from the job and my newborn, so be patient with me.

Unread 08-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
nic96zj
1998 ZJ 

Looks like a nice find on the donor f 250. Good luck with the rest of the build up
nic96zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thought I would give a little bit of my plan, I will will using wagoneer springs in the front to get that 2" stretch and using chevy springs for the rear and pushing it back about 1" with the spring perches. I hope to run 38-42" tires when ever I come across a decent set on craigs list. Gearing will stay 4.10 for the time being till I save up some cash for the gears and lockers. I will probably lincoln lock the rear for better cheap traction.
Unread 08-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Update:
Stripped the rest of the rear frame and painted with POR 15.

Installed my SYE kit, with the transfer case still in the vehicle, really didn't make it any more difficult.

By the way, POR 15 doesn't come of your hands! Where gloves!
Unread 09-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Got the axle and the new springs under the Jeep. The springs are front 80's chevy 6" lift springs with two springs removed. The springs pushed the axle back about 1.5", I flipped the shackles to help out. Also, picked up some smaller roller tires, to fit the Jeep in garage. Next step is to weld up the perches and set the pinion angle.

Unread 09-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
1997_Sport

Looks good man, keep up the work.

No jeep but I do have a 04.5 Cummins with a 4in exhaust, edge j/a, and I guess thats it....for now
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Got the pinion angle set, it was a lot of double checking (measure a ton of times weld once, right). Burned in the spring perches and shock mounts. I have one more shock mount to weld on and then its on to the rear drive shaft. I am using the stock f250 front shaft, its a CV drive shaft, I figured it's a tad beefier than a Cherokee one. I will post pics soon.
Unread 09-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thats awesome. Great job so far
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Got the rear axle all welded up, primed, painted, and bolted in. I also welded on the shock towers. Over all it was a good weekend.

Axle, with my imitation ARB cover:

Me, burning in the shock tower:

Installed and back on the rollers:
Unread 10-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Last weekend I built the rear drive shaft. It was the front drive shaft from the 78 F250 above. I cut it down, welded it up, smoothed it all out to try and make it as balanced as possible (fingers crossed).
Unread 10-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have been super busy the past couple of weekends. But this weekend I managed to get some time in the garage. I pulled the front axle.

Then I painted the rest of the frame with POR 15

I also purchased a 12 ton press. The bushings on the wagoneer springs are incredibly hard to get out, I have tried it all. So I bought the press, figured I would get some more use out of it (future gear swap?)
Unread 10-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome man. Can't wait to start building a set of 60's.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
AuroraJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I built my front spring pack, wagoneer front springs with some chevy springs added. Got new poly bushings and painted them up.

I have the D60 under the front, the front spring perches are a little off, do you guys drill out the center pin hole on the perch or just make it work?
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
GAgrl95yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

good luck hope it turns out
GAgrl95yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #15
JWALTS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet Build Pics...keep Them Up

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.