91 Wrangler "Sentinel" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 91 Wrangler "Sentinel"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

91 Wrangler "Sentinel"

Well my Jeep finally got here 3 minutes before the skies opened up. It has a few problems I need to address so it will run. It is going to be slow going because it is going to be my daily driver as well. I have a few things on my wish list and need list. I also have to get my FSM, the nearest dealer is about 60 miles, so I am going to order it online I think.

Need:

Return Fuel Line: It leaks bad when running. No leaks when the engine is off.
Driver Floor Pan: It is in rough shape.
Ignition Linkage: When the PO put in a new ignition he bent/broke the linkage.
Oil change and tune up: No one knows when the last oil change and tuneup date. So I guess I should do plugs, wires, filters, and an oil change.

I will get pictures going once I can take some good ones. I will also get my wish list together to post. I am excited about my first build project.

Last edited by Endimar; 08-21-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Endimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I cant post pictures yet because I am a new member. I will post them here once I can, but you can check them at photo bucket here: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd386/endimar/ . It needs a lot of work. Pictures have been edited to show what I am thinking.

I am torn right now between stripping the Jeep and going over it with a fine tooth comb, or driving it until spring, and then take a few weeks off and just work on it until I get the rust and other issues under control. I really don't know what I am going to do there.

I spoke to my dad though and he is excited to work on it with me and I am thinking I would really like to get it going and work on it with him. That would be just awesome! Enjoy, post your thoughts, If it was you and it is your daily driver, how would you tackle it? Any and all input is welcome. Remember too I only paid $450.00 for it.
Unread 09-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well this thread needs to be renamed 91 YJ $Money Pit$. I started working on minor things to get her running and there is so much rust and poop workmanship from the PO and his father. They paint over rusted bolts. This thing needs a lot of TGC (True Grinder Cleansing). It's turning out to be more than I can do myself. I am hoping My pops will help. It's been 3 weeks and I am tired of waiting so the strip down begins today. I will post pictures later.
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The NY Money Pit it is.
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like the name. It's coming apart. Slowly. Paint over rust, over paint, over rust = lots of stuck bolts and screws. I will post some pictures tonight.
Unread 09-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have to take pictures still but after much fighting and rotten and rusted bolts and screws there is some tear down progress. We got the tailgate off, the top is off and The soft top retainer rails are off. I managed to get the doors off, even though the nuts were mangled to heck. I did get the passenger and rear seat and seat belts out. There are a ton of rusted and mangled bolts/screws. So it is slower than I hoped. The driver seat is borked in a few ways. The driver pan has steel welded and rusted. The seat has welded bolts and I couldn't get them ground out. It's stuck and needs cutting up. I got parts of the roll bars out. I got my welder today. I need to practice some it has been 10 years since I touched one.

Tomorrow it's fenders, flares and the windshield. We will see how it goes. Maybe by labor day I will be ready to tow the rest of the jeep to my dads for storage while I work on fixing the body and getting new hinges for the doors, tailgate and windshield. I am also going to replace every bolt and screw I take out with new stainless hardware.
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am having trouble finding time to work on the jeep today. I do have a few minutes to post some pictures of yesterday's work.
image-3485957447.jpg   image-2089527747.jpg   image-2285529571.jpg  
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe I will get some time later to work on those fenders, windshield and all the flares.
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not a major accomplishment but I did get the hood off and some hinges and strikers cleaned and primed with rustoleam auto primer. The monsoon came in though and ended it early.
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

that rust looks a lot like the project I am working on! Good luck with your build, the end result will be worth all the hard work!

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
My Rusty Wrangler Project
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I think so too. It is something my kids will enjoy when they drive.

I'm tackling it 1 piece at a time. Fix a part completely then move on to the next. The tub is going to be the last piece I work on. I am planning on cleaning and coating the frame, replacing all the fuel and brake lines. Possibly a new fuel tank. Wiring needs work but it's a labor of love.
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Since I am taking all the body parts to bare metal and repainting and lining it, I have been thinking about the colors for it. I have been torn between a dark tan color, or a charcoal gray as the main color. I was going to do the accents in a dark black or very dark blue or grey depending on how I felt. I have been looking around and I decided I am committed to a hammered paint, most likely by rustoleum. Something about that look I like. Maybe black and silver, or grey and silver, or a brown and black... I am working on the hood right now, so I am going to strip a small section and prime it, and test out the hammered look on the underside. I can strip it again later if I don't like it.
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Aesthetics of color aside at this point, don't hesitate to look for a 94 or 95 tub in good shape. They were galvanized starting in 94 so you have a little better chance of finding one rust free to simply drop on, sand down, and shoot paint.

Beware of this and if you find it....PATCH IT:

Keep up the good hard work and pictures. Welcome to Jeepforum.com!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
Endimar

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the picture. I am hoping there is no frame damage like that. I will be keeping my eyes open though for sure. Good to know about the tub too. Galvanized would be nice. I have been checking craigslist for parts but Jeeps and parts aren't given up lightly. So when I had the chance to buy I jumped on it.
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try Davey's Jeeps. www.daveysjeeps.com They are an Ohio company that does very excellent part-outs in mass. They should have plenty of those 94-95 tubs. Simply a great resource in general.

With painting, I've found that hammered finishes on the tub tend to show imperfections much more than flat or matte finishes and it is more difficult to touch up. Even a simple satin will do a good job. I tested out dozens of different paints on similar metal as the Jeep tub...scratching with a stick, my cheater-pipe or what not, then touching up. I found a Rustoleum satin high temp grill and barbecue paint that worked excellently at resisting scratches and looking nice touched up. The heat rating on it kept the paint from peeling on the hood in the heat. I did three coats on the whole Jeep and it looked great. Still does when I see that Jeep around town. Touch up's were effortless and believe me, trail scratches happen quite a bit here in Ohio. I gave my last two full cans to my buddy who bought it.

Play around with it before you shoot. Hammered finish looks good on small stuff and accessories in my opinion. I did a whole rigid mountain bike frame with hammered black RustO and while the "hammering" did not come out uniform or aesthetically pleasing the paint is still on there and solid five years later.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.