Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

90 yj frame swap and build up

39K views 235 replies 19 participants last post by  lovett86 
#1 ·
started a new build thread

picked up a frame for 100 bucks, guy threw in a plastic tank with it

went back a couple weeks later and picked up a cj dash and speedo, cable

this is the jeep as it is sitting now

the frame does need a bit of repair at the passenger rear rail, will post pics after its repaired

See less See more
#140 ·
I have my pieces for my transmission crossmember at work and I loaded up some hardware for it into the car tonight. Hopefully gonna at least tac weld some of it together tomorrow

#143 ·
Why not take the couple minutes to clean up the steel before welding? Will make it weld a little easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#145 ·
Haven't really done anything in the last year with the jeep. Just moved it in and out of the drive way. Ordered a gasket kit for the dana 300. Started working on the wiring harness for the engine today and seeing about building a new shifter for it

#146 ·
Cleaned up and degreased the wiring harness for the jeep at work. Going to start removing all of the unnecessary wiring for the computer since il be running a carb set up. I have Monday off from work. Have to do a couple things around the house then I'm spending some time on the jeep again.

Here's a picture of the wiring harness
mostly cleaned up. I already spliced a new trailer wire harness into the rear vehicle harness as well Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Computer hardware Gas Cable

#149 ·
Did some work on my cj dash. Made a new hole for the yj heater controls. I'm going to make a new switch panel where the cj heater controls originally went. The new switches will be for the extra lights, winch and what ever else gets added. Took a pic of my work bench at work. Brought my jeep parts to work so I'd have something to do since its slowing down at work

#152 ·
Started tearing into the wiring harness for the engine. Printed off the diagram for the headlight upgrade. Already have my relays at home somewhere and will pick up some new sockets for the lights Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Car

#154 ·
All zip tied together. Looks like a harness again. Will do more with it once it's in the jeep and the engine is back in. That way I can run all my wires to the proper length and wire up the different sensors for it. Found one relay kit in the garage for the head lights. I will have to pick up another along with the new head light sockets Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Wire Electrical supply

#155 ·
Didnt find the headlight sockets that I wanted at the parts store so I ordered new one on Amazon along with a new 6 relay,6 fuse under hood box instead of buying another relay with harness. I have lots of relays and fuses. Just needed another relay kit to do the headlight upgrade. Parts should be here in 3 days. Will post pics when they get here.

#156 ·
Finished tidying up a bit of the engine harness at work between jobs. Then loaded it into the car and will start wiring up the jeep once the weather warms up. -26 this week at the coldest according to the weather man.

#158 ·
I know this tank came from a yj but I always assumed it was for a fuel injected jeep. I never paid any attention to the wiring before. But it's just 2 wires, 1 for ground and 1 for the level sending unit. Has no fuel pump. So it must have been a 90 or older I'm thinking. I will be running a carbed v8 so I want to buy a new sending unit for it and just need to know what year
of jeep to get one for. Thanks In advance. Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Hood Vehicle door
Brown Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas
Water Fluid Wood Gas Electrical wiring
Finger Automotive fuel system Gas Motor vehicle Auto part

#160 ·
My head light sockets and new under hood fuse/realy box came in. Just need some warmer weather now. Il be running all new wiring for the head lights except for the trigger wires for the relays. Those will be the old high/low beam wires from the switch Wood Finger Material property Font Nail
Bumper Gadget Automotive exterior Electronic device Cable
Hand Wood Finger Gadget Camera accessory
Wood Toy Musical instrument Finger Electronic instrument
Circuit component Toy Finger Audio equipment Font
Hand Space bar Wood Communication Device Gadget
Hand Finger Gesture Nail Thumb
Hand Dice Gesture Indoor games and sports Thumb

#161 ·
No updates to report on. It did warm up today. Still in the negatives but my wife's at work so I'm on with our son today. If it stays a warmer next week I may be able to start some wiring on the jeep. I have the new fuse box at work, I'm going to start wiringg up some of the fuses and relays when i have down time in between jobs. Here's the latest pic of the jeep. Snow Water Sky Plant Tree

#162 ·
May have found a rebuilt York compressor with newer clutch and an idler pulley for an Oba setup. My neighbor has s smaller electric compressor that the motor is gone in for me as well. I'm going to rob the tank, regulator and a few other parts off of it for the system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.