Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

90 yj frame swap and build up

39K views 235 replies 19 participants last post by  lovett86 
#1 ·
started a new build thread

picked up a frame for 100 bucks, guy threw in a plastic tank with it

went back a couple weeks later and picked up a cj dash and speedo, cable

this is the jeep as it is sitting now

the frame does need a bit of repair at the passenger rear rail, will post pics after its repaired

See less See more
#83 ·
I haven't made much progress lately on the jeep, I did put a new roof on the garage, tore out a bench that was way too big and replaced it with some shelving, and spent the last 2 weeks after work trying to get the garage cleaned up and the jeep cleaned out. It seems that in between working on the jeep it gets filled up with all sorts of random things. I did however pull the 4cyl engine/tranny out for the last time today, now that its out I can work on the front suspension and get the front diff installed. Unfortunately I probably won't make it back out there till next month with Xmas in a few days, but I have lots of parts to keep me motivated and moving forward,

I hope everyone who is following along has a merry Christmas and a happy new year

#84 ·
I managed to get the drivers side arm off the knuckle, pulled the studs out and cleaned up the rust, gonna paint it tonight, my cousin has my passenger side knuckle and is gonna see if he can machine it for me at his work

#85 ·
ive been working on out boarding the front springs lately, came in to take a break from the cold, i have the drivers side mounts cut off and every thing ground down, i started making my brackets to move everything outwards, i will post some pics later when i call it quits for the day

#86 ·

mounts are only tacked together until everything is in its proper place, everything will be reinforced and beefed up and a pic of the new shelves i made to get ride of the huge useless bench

#87 ·
made some progress lately, not alot , but some

filled in the tube and ground it flush

some more pics of the rear bracket, im going to drill threw the frame and sleve it

getting it ready to drill

#89 ·
Nope, if i was gonna run a 37 or bigger then I think I would be in trouble, I have 33's, but I think I'm gonna try and find some 35's but only 9.5-10.5 wide and some offset rims

#90 ·
Got a little more work done on the jeep this weekend, haven't been out in the garage much this winter, will have some pics up once I get some more work done again, gonna try and get out there at least once a week from now on, the wife may be getting her father's old Camero, its a 78 with a 350 auto in it, its been sitting the better part of 15 yrs in storage, so may be doing some work to it to get it on the road for summer, also just ordered some new turkey calls and some camo for the spring turkey hunt coming up

#91 ·

rear spring bracket in place, still not fully welded and i still have to sleve it

i did get the passenger side spring mounts cut off and both of the engine mounts cut off, every thing is ground down and cleaned up

drivers side tacked in place until i get the passenger side done and make sure everything is in its proper place before final welding

i have a small shed on the back of the garage, were gonna tear it down and re build it, this is some of the wood and the door for it, all the wood came from my father in laws farm

free 1 ton chain hoist i was given from my father in law as well

this is an old hand operated well pump i just picked up too, it was actually made about 20 minutes from the town i live in now, its gonna go in our garden this summer

#92 ·
Managed to find some time here n there between turkey hunting and work to get a bit of progress on the jeep. The front suspension is all tacked together and the front axle is sitting under it, I'm waiting on new u bolts and plates for the front and rear axles, should be getting new ball joints for it soon too, once it's sitting on all 4 wheels again I can start too mock up the motor mounts and finally get the 360 in it. I also managed to pick up an old 1979 Honda atc 110 at an online auction, it doesn't run but the engine isn't seized so if I can get it running for cheap I may keep it

#93 ·
i have all the new u bolts for it, my neighbor cut me 4 new plates for the u-bolts, i just have to drill them, i already started on two of them. i also got my steering knuckle back from my cousin, he was unable to do anything with it, problems with machines at his work, i gave both steering knuckles to my neighbor and he is going to machine it down and drill/tap it for me, he also says he can make me both steering arms for, big bonus there, he will be getting some beer for that, once i have them back i will order the ball joints and it will be rolling again

#94 ·
i was able to get all the new u bolts and plates installed

these are the plates i made, i cut the ends and bent them up and then welded across them

i did get all 4 of them made, i just didnt think i needed pics of them all

thats all for now

#96 ·
#98 ·
Definitely still at it, just taking some brakes here and there, I've been busy with a lot of other little projects here n there and I made it out for turkey hunting for my first time, I see your jeep is still taking everything you can throw at it

#101 ·
i wasn't able to go with my neighbor today, but he was able to machine my passenger side steering knuckle for me

i took the tail housing off the 727 yesterday, im going to cut it down at work to shorten it and my neighbor is going to weld it back together for me

the next few pics arnt the greatest but i have the frame sleeving almost done

i picked up a few of these little led lights im going to use on my dash for different things

i still have to pick up the new ball joints before i can put them on and i still have to make the high steer arms but things are still slowly moving forward

#102 ·
was away this weekend, went rafting down the Ottawa river, on the way up we stopped at a yard sale and i picked up a muffler for 5 bucks and a compass for hiking and my wife bought some plates

#103 ·
rear housing has been shortened and a new plate welded on

picked up some new ball joints for the dana 44, if i have enough time this weekend it may get put back together

#105 ·
Passenger side of the 44 is almost back together, just have to clean out the caliper mount threads on the spindle, bolts were getting pretty tight so I figured they could wait one more day

#107 ·

hard top, doors and windshield are back on. I will be bringing the engine home from work next week, if i can get the engine and transmission mounts ordered that I will be using then it will have an almost complete drive train mocked up.

#108 ·
#109 ·
Thanks, I've been following along on yours as well, I'm using a Dodge 360 so I'm going to order some mounts for a early 80's cordorba and build my own frame mounts

#110 ·
Went outside to do some work on the jeep, I removed the old skid plate and wanted to start mocking up a new skid plate/cross member for it. Problem is that the angle iron i wanted to use on the two side rails for it are only 1 1/2" wide and I need 2 1/2" wide pieces. So now i have to buy 2 pieces for it which is no big deal, i just wasn't able to do what i wanted today. I was able to dig out my transfer case and load it up into the explorer to take to work tomorrow, i'm going to swap the rear output yoke with the double cardon yoke I stole off of a parts transfer case and re-seal 2 of the covers on it that are leaking a bit

I also did some research on my 9" rear end, it has the 2 ribs and an 'n' in the center section which means it should have the 31 spline shafts and the bigger bearings in it, also may have a locker in it, I'm still skeptical on the locker though, axle came out of an old farm truck so its possible the spider gears were welded at some point, not a big deal if they are, I have 2 spare centre sections and one of them has the matching gears for the front axle I have. Just need to pull it all apart some time and see what's in there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.