90 yj frame swap and build up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 90 yj frame swap and build up

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #31
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No I mean why eliminate the trackbar?

whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #32
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

u really don't need the front or rear track bars on a yj, they help keep the front and rear axle from moving side to side and they limit the flex in the suspension, the leaf springs take care of that, i don't have the front sway bar on rite now, but that will be going back on later, if it was a coil spring set up like the tj's or the Cherokee's then u would have to keep them for sure

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #33
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

no work on the jeep today, but i did get the garage cleaned up and i vacuumed out the body, it was getting pretty dirty from all the dust and every thing that was building up in it

Unread 02-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #34
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Reminds me of mine, except yours is going together while mine sits in the shop!! Did you do any internal frame coating like an Eastwood product or did you just leave it alone?
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #35
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i just left it alone for now, i cleaned it out as best as i could when i was repairing it, we have some stuff at work i was gonna spray in it when i finally get it too work once its running again, mine has been a very slow project, i had the body off last winter and i don't think i even started doing the floors until 4-5 months ago and even now its just one day here or there, but every time i work on it a little more gets done

Unread 02-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #36
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ya, a day here and there to work on them. Plus, this winter has been way too cold to get motivated....
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #37
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i know what u mean, after 2hrs in the garage i cant feel my feet anymore

Unread 02-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #38
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Man.....and here I thought my YJ needed a lot of rust repair! You're doing a great job breathing new life into that old girl.
About your question regarding clocking the 231 to the 727, I just slid the 231 onto the 727 on the first try, and the clocking seems to be just fine for me.
Unread 02-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #39
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by responder View Post
Reminds me of mine, except yours is going together while mine sits in the shop!! Did you do any internal frame coating like an Eastwood product or did you just leave it alone?
My buddy told me a long time ago that his idea was to weld shut every opening on the frame and fill it with oil. Always thought that was an interesting idea.
Unread 02-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #40
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86 View Post

started boat siding the rockers and doing some more floor work, got a huge dropping of snow last night too
What do you got going on here? Built in rock rails? Interesting. I didn't think of that on mine, but it's not too late...
Unread 02-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #41
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I boat sided the rockers for more clearance, i will eventually make some thicker armor to go on top of it

Unread 02-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #42
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywiz View Post
My buddy told me a long time ago that his idea was to weld shut every opening on the frame and fill it with oil. Always thought that was an interesting idea.
There was a thread going about coating the interior of the frame with linseed oil.
Unread 02-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #43
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by responder View Post

There was a thread going about coating the interior of the frame with linseed oil.
Not going to bother looking that up, so this may be in that thread, but my buddies idea was to plug every hole and fill it half way. Then as you are driving around it is continually moving around coating the frame. Not to just coat it with oil. Guys do that all the time.
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #44
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the rocker panel is all welded into place, ground down all the welds, came out pretty nice, i wont have any pics for a while, i lent my parents my camera for there trip to florida

Unread 02-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #45
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead89 View Post
Man.....and here I thought my YJ needed a lot of rust repair! You're doing a great job breathing new life into that old girl.
About your question regarding clocking the 231 to the 727, I just slid the 231 onto the 727 on the first try, and the clocking seems to be just fine for me.
its hard finding anything rust free up here this old, i knew it needed work when i got it so it was no surprise there, i just wasn't sure about the clocking, i slid mine onto the transmission and it looked like the drive shaft might be a bit close to the transmission, but it was just sitting on the bench when i did it, so im sure when its in the jeep it will look fine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.