'90 YJ Daily Driver Trail Rig Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '90 YJ Daily Driver Trail Rig Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCORGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got a new mod installed this week.

Here's a pic of what I started with...

Here's what I ended up with...

It's the Rugged Ridge dual battery tray, and I'm running a pair of Autozone Gold series batteries. My old battery never failed me at all, but with a winch, a lot of lights, and my tendency to wheel alone, I wanted a little extra oomph for all those accessories. It also helps that I had $50 in Autozone gift cards, $120 worth of credit on my Autozone account, and a coupon for $20 off $100. I got both batteries for $50 w/o turning in my old one. So basically...dual batteries for less than $200 with the tray, batteries, and wiring! That's hard to beat I think!

As you might notice in the picture, I didn't run a relay or disconnect between the two batteries. I just wired them in parallel and called it good for now. Eventually I may get around to doing something different, but for now I think this setup will work well for me.

As for the tray...well...the instructions leave a lot to be desired, and either my Jeep is a little tweaked (Certainly possible at its age), or their bracketry isn't quite correct. After a little work w/ the hammer I was able to get all the holes to line up and everything tightened down. I will say that it's extremely nice that the tray kit came with a bracket for the relays and such. You can see them mounted on the front left corner of the tray. I'm very, very happy about how cleanly they mount to the new tray. Things I didn't like so much...having to hang the ignition coil by one bolt rather than two because it interfered with my new batteries and having to relocate some other stuff w/o having clear instructions. That said, the ignition coil relocation may be due to my battery choice. The stock batteries are much, much smaller than the ones I chose. I did a bunch of measuring, looked up sizes of batteries on Autozone's site, and then went to Autozone with the tray and did a test fit. These batteries barely fit, and I'm only running two hooks to mount them rather than the three that the tray came w/ since there's not room between them. Perhaps with two stock size batteries (which are smaller in every dimension) the ignition coil would not need to be rotated slightly.

Anyways...this is a rambling but I wanted to include details of my experience since I couldn't find ANYTHING online about someone else installing this tray in an early YJ. If anyone has any questions about the it, feel free to ask.

Utah Jeepcrew #26
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's another mod I did a little while ago, but it's easier to see now that I moved it because of the new battery setup.

Rather than run all the wires for my compressor and lights to the batteries and have a huge mess, I decided to pick up a fuse block and run the power wires from it. I ran a pair of 10 gauge wires from the battery to the fuse block. I figure they should flow enough current to power everything at once if necessary. I've got two more available slots on the fuse block which eventually will be used for auxiliary reverse lights and rock lights.

Utah Jeepcrew #26
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic of the aluminum shift knobs my brother got me for my birthday, plus my hand throttle. I am still tweaking on the hand throttle and need practice on using it smoothly, but I really like being able to use the throttle, clutch, and brakes at the same time while wheeling.

Utah Jeepcrew #26
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's another mod I made a few months ago. I ordered this in December and then got the perfect opportunity to install it at the end of January when my fuel pump up and died.

Notice the awesome bent "skid plate" that came stock.

Now I can wheel without having to worry about punching a hole in the tank.

You can also see my SOLID diff cover for the 8.8 in the pics, and if you look closely, you can see how much less the u-bolts hang down in the second pic. Obviously with the springs under the axles clearance isn't great, but it's even worse when the u-bolts hang down an extra half inch or so more than they need to. I took the angle grinder to them and now it looks cleaner and should hang up less.

Utah Jeepcrew #26
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic that shows a bunch of mods...

The most obvious thing is probably the lights. The lights on the fairlead are Hella 500FF fogs. The lights on the ends of the bumper are KC Daylighter 130 watt driving lights. The headlights also aren't stock. They're IPF housings with fatboy bulbs.

The Rugged Ridge winch cover is keeping snow and rain away from my Engo 12,000 lb winch. I got it last summer from Chris at truckaddons.com. He was great to work with. I haven't gotten the chance to use the winch for recovery yet, but I hope to soon.

The bumper is still stock, but it is cut down for looks and clearance.

The SOLID diff cover for the Dana 30 is also visible, as are all of my steering mods. There's a Rugged Ridge steering box skid plate, a Rough Country steering box brace (barely visible), Rugged Ridge HD steering system, and Rancho RS5000 steering stabilizer.

I've heard a lot of negative things about the Rugged Ridge steering, but I haven't had any issues yet. It's way way beefier than stock and it cost me less than $200. If money weren't an object I'd have gotten the JCR setup and drilled my knuckles, but I don't have the tools required for that install, making it cost about double what this one does. If I run into issues with this steering setup then I'll admit that going the cheaper route was dumb, but for now I'm satisfied and much less worried about tearing up the steering on the rocks than I was when I was running stock stuff.

Utah Jeepcrew #26
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #21
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you steering feel any different at you threw the steering box brace on? I am thinking about putting one on my just for the added insurance being that I am always sawing the wheel back and forth! Between my front spartan and the wide toyo's it adds lost of stess on my gear box!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

RIP
96 jeep xj, 4.5 inch rc x-series lift with .75 coil spacer, siting on 31-10.50-15 goodyear! (aka gas saver)

RIP
96 jeep zj iro otk steering 7 inch iro critical path long arms lift siting on 35-13.50-15 toyo mt's and much more!
may 2011 GCOTM winner!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1208873/
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Did you steering feel any different at you threw the steering box brace on? I am thinking about putting one on my just for the added insurance being that I am always sawing the wheel back and forth! Between my front spartan and the wide toyo's it adds lost of stess on my gear box!
Honestly, I don't recall noticing any difference, but it was one of the first mods I did, back when the steering linkage was still stock. For $60 or whatever it is, I figured it was cheap insurance, but I don't know that it's necessary. I'd buy it again though. I need to work on getting rid of slop elsewhere in my steering (the lower column bearing and maybe the shaft between the box and the firewall). I think I'd notice more if all that was done.

Utah Jeepcrew #26
Unread 04-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #23
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101
Honestly, I don't recall noticing any difference, but it was one of the first mods I did, back when the steering linkage was still stock. For $60 or whatever it is, I figured it was cheap insurance, but I don't know that it's necessary. I'd buy it again though. I need to work on getting rid of slop elsewhere in my steering (the lower column bearing and maybe the shaft between the box and the firewall). I think I'd notice more if all that was done.
Lol I just replaced my lower column bearing! I also orders a new steering shaft for 100 bucks before I did my power steering swap but the gear box had a good shaft hooked to it so now I have a brand shaft just laying around! To bad you don't live closer or I would give you a crazy good deal on it!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

RIP
96 jeep xj, 4.5 inch rc x-series lift with .75 coil spacer, siting on 31-10.50-15 goodyear! (aka gas saver)

RIP
96 jeep zj iro otk steering 7 inch iro critical path long arms lift siting on 35-13.50-15 toyo mt's and much more!
may 2011 GCOTM winner!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...hread-1208873/
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #24
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87 View Post
Lol I just replaced my lower column bearing! I also orders a new steering shaft for 100 bucks before I did my power steering swap but the gear box had a good shaft hooked to it so now I have a brand shaft just laying around! To bad you don't live closer or I would give you a crazy good deal on it!
I've already got the bearing sitting around here somewhere. I just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. If you're willing to ship it, PM me what kind of crazy good deal you're thinking and maybe I'll take it off your hands.

Utah Jeepcrew #26
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #25
redjeep1992
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101 View Post
Here's another mod I did a little while ago, but it's easier to see now that I moved it because of the new battery setup.

Rather than run all the wires for my compressor and lights to the batteries and have a huge mess, I decided to pick up a fuse block and run the power wires from it. I ran a pair of 10 gauge wires from the battery to the fuse block. I figure they should flow enough current to power everything at once if necessary. I've got two more available slots on the fuse block which eventually will be used for auxiliary reverse lights and rock lights.

hey man nice yj I was just wondering where did you get that fuse block from, and can i get it from any parts store looking to do the same as I have alot of wiring to do over the next couple of days
redjeep1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #26
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjeep1992 View Post
hey man nice yj I was just wondering where did you get that fuse block from, and can i get it from any parts store looking to do the same as I have alot of wiring to do over the next couple of days
Thanks man! I got mine from Autozone so I would imagine you'd be able to find it at pretty much any parts store.

Utah Jeepcrew #26
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #27
redjeep1992
2004 TJ Wrangler 

alright thx man will have a look around tomorrow
redjeep1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I went wheeling with a friend and his neighbor yesterday and had a great time. I beat the crap out of the Jeep and nothing broke, which always makes for a good day. I did add some rock rash to the rims, rocker armor, flares, gas tank skid, and the tub behind the left rear wheel. Nothing major though. We ran Rattlesnake and Constrictor. Rattlesnake is a 3 I believe, though there are some fun optional lines that ratchet up the intensity a bit. Constrictor is probably a 4, though Eagle's Nest (the last obstacle) is a 5. It's a 6+ foot wall that most buggies get denied on. There's a winch anchor at the top of it, and maybe after I get a real belly skid I'll try winching up it, but for now I was happy to make it to that point unassisted, as there are some nasty obstacles on the trail to that point that I wasn't sure I could conquer with the front still open.

The pics aren't that great because I can't take them and drive at the same time, but here's what the other guys did get of my rig in action...

All the pics are on Rattlesnake except the last one. The last pic shows my Jeep parked at the base of Eagle's Nest. My Jeep isn't huge by any means, but still...that wall is a good 3 feet higher than my hood.

Utah Jeepcrew #26
Unread 04-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #29
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a little video clip of me trying one of the alternate routes along Rattlesnake.

Utah Jeepcrew #26

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.