90 MJ Comanche Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 90 MJ Comanche Build

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 04-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #76
mca1977jpsnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LalanP111 View Post
Nice, this is going to be a good thread! Im doing the 4x4 swap on my 88 MJ, just a heads up on the 4x4..its not all that difficult but make sure you keep it soaked with WD40 or penetrating oil. Also it your keeping the manual tranny..the 94+ (correct me if Im wrong someone) have an external slave cylinder.

good luck!
I believe 5 speed external slave is 92-93 on most jeeps. Depends on which body and trans was in it. YJs got them before XJs.

mca1977jpsnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #77
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Mine came from a '95 just FYI. They look a lot different now.
rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #78
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

very nice build

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #79
mca1977jpsnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Gah! White lettering on the tires! Otherwise looks awesome.... Wish it was mine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdog5 View Post
love the white letters! haha. to each his own.
great mj build. came out real nice. any plans to paint the soft8s gunmetal?
I am partial to white letters on name brand tires. What type of goodyears are they?
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #80
mca1977jpsnet

Nice looking truck! Great write up!
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #81
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

They are Duratracs. The guy at Discount Tire asked me why I picked these instead of the BFG A/T. I've read some good reviews of them and they look much more aggressive than the the BFGs. So far they don't seem to be that loud either (course most of my interior is still out, so everything is loud). At $140/each, they seemed to be a pretty good deal. I'm happy so far.
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #82
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanrph View Post
They are Duratracs. The guy at Discount Tire asked me why I picked these instead of the BFG A/T. I've read some good reviews of them and they look much more aggressive than the the BFGs. So far they don't seem to be that loud either (course most of my interior is still out, so everything is loud). At $140/each, they seemed to be a pretty good deal. I'm happy so far.
Looks good. I talked to Discount about the Duratracs when I was tire shopping, but they were out of stock in my size. I like the white letters. I'd like to run white letters, but my wife, white letters and curbs don't mix.

Where did you pick up the trans?
kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #83
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mca1977jpsnet View Post
I am partial to white letters on name brand tires
Me too, on chrome rims no less!
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #84
Manche87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

nice looking build bro, looking forward to the drivetrain work so that i can get some pointers for mine
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #85
NH44XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nice looking Jeep man. You mentioned a few pages back about the holes in the trim from the mirror swap. When I did the swap on my 95 I had the same problem until I found the triangular trim pieces from a 96 or older XJ with electric mirrors. I imagine that the same parts would work on an MJ is you find a limited in a junkyard some day or something.
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #86
75SV1

Nice build. I'd probably suggest you pull out the dash and see if there are any leaks at the seams. That is a common problem. Also, is the ZJs sway bar better?
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:13 AM   #87
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabowabo View Post
Looks good.
Where did you pick up the trans?
Thanks! I got the trans, tc and axles from a Junkyard in Monroe, NC. I think they have several yards over the southeast, so they were able to find exactly what I was looking for and I had it in a couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manche87 View Post
nice looking build bro, looking forward to the drivetrain work so that i can get some pointers for mine
Sure thing. It helps knowing that other people have done it and recommend that more people. Its a good confidence builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH44XJ View Post
Nice looking Jeep man. You mentioned a few pages back about the holes in the trim from the mirror swap. When I did the swap on my 95 I had the same problem until I found the triangular trim pieces from a 96 or older XJ with electric mirrors. I imagine that the same parts would work on an MJ is you find a limited in a junkyard some day or something.
I actually had a pair and I traded for some manually adjusting XJ mirrors. When I got home, I found out they were broken. So when I ordered the newer style mirrors I didn't have those pieces anymore. Its kind of a sore spot for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
Nice build. I'd probably suggest you pull out the dash and see if there are any leaks at the seams. That is a common problem. Also, is the ZJs sway bar better?
Tom
The seams of what? I've already checked on the firewall where the fuse box comes through. I think that was my biggest problem.

Thanks for all the compliments. I've become really addicted these things. I went to look at another one yesterday. I probably won't buy it, but I might convince a friend to.
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #88
75SV1

'The seams of what? I've already checked on the firewall where the fuse box comes through. I think that was my biggest problem.'

Might look at the '99 MJ build on post #104 and #142. The fuse box might have been your problem though.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99-mj-build-881250/

Here's another excellent MJ biuld:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...manche-886068/
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #89
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Ok, I got some new lenses for the front. I really like the front markers; they're so much better than the worn out ones I had. The side ones... I'm not so sure about yet. I kinda like them, but they're a tad ricey. They'll stay for now.

And here is the suprise. I drove 350 miles round trip to pick this up (roll bar):

I've got some other pictures and I'll try to do some edits on them this week. I just auto mode on my point and shoot, so they didn't come out too good. The lights on the bar are kinda big, so I might swap those out. Its not bolted down yet; the mounting flanges need a little bit of tweaking, but overall, I'm very happy with the fit.
Unread 04-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #90
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
...they're a tad ricey.
I like that

Quote:
That looks good and I'm more than a little jealous. I still can't find one. Is it out of a Dakota or is it a MJ bar?
kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.