90 MJ Comanche Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 90 MJ Comanche Build

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 03-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #61
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanrph View Post
I ended up ordering the Mopar ones from Summit like you suggested. I ordered them Tuesday night and they'll be here today. When I cut my old ones off, I did pretty well with one and could reuse it, but the other, not so much.

I'm going to prep the axle tonight and hopefully get the new ones welded on tomorrow. We'll see.
Good deal.

kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #62
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Well, progress has been made.

I got the front 2wd axle out:

Got the new Dana 30 in with new rotors, calipers, pads, coils, shocks, steering from the donor and a ZJ sway bar:

I'll disconnect the old caliper when I'm ready to bleed the brakes.

Got the old Dana 35 out too:

I got the 8.25 mocked into place, but forgot to borrow an angle finder, so I haven't set the pinion angle yet. I decided to put it on all fours to see how the lift looks:

Hopefully I can get the pinion angle set and get the perches welded on tomorrow. Then once I get it bolted back in, I'll have to do the rear brakes. I'll do a shake down run with the current transmission to make sure the lift and axles are good and then I'll tackle the 4wd transmission and transfer case.
rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #63
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

looking good
kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #64
Keef-Burtons
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice, thanks for sharing!
Unread 04-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #65
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Well, the axle swap and lift is done. Here is the result:

I picked out the tires I wanted (Goodyear Duratracs), but couldn't decide on an alloy wheel that I really wanted to spend $350-400 on, so I think I'm going with some steel wheels for now; I might paint them gunmetal, we'll see. I'll order tomorrow and hopefully I can have them the first of next week.
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #66
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Here are the new wheels and tires!

After the 4wd axle swap I have a vibration at anything over 50mph (before and after the new tires). I just had it aligned too, so I know it isn't that. I'm going to try replacing the driveshaft u-joint this evening and hopefully that will cure it.
Unread 04-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #67
melk
1996 ZJ 

Gah! White lettering on the tires! Otherwise looks awesome.... Wish it was mine!
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #68
89eliminator
1989 MJ Comanche 

man that looks good
Unread 04-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #69
jeepdog5
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Gah! White lettering on the tires! Otherwise looks awesome.... Wish it was mine!
love the white letters! haha. to each his own.
great mj build. came out real nice. any plans to paint the soft8s gunmetal?
jeepdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #70
achampagne
1997 TJ Wrangler 

looks good
achampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #71
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdog5 View Post
love the white letters! haha. to each his own.
great mj build. came out real nice. any plans to paint the soft8s gunmetal?
Thinking about it, but probably won't do it until after I paint the truck.
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #72
Keef-Burtons
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdog5 View Post
love the white letters!
Me too!!
Unread 04-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #73
MoochsXJ
2007 WK 

Great MJ, nice thread too. Every time I see an MJ that someone has taken care of, and is refreshing/restoring I regret trading mine in for a TJ, I should have stuck it in a garage until I had enough space to own 2 vehicles at once.

Misc. Jeep stuff for sale/free
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664793
MoochsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #74
mca1977jpsnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanrph View Post
I got the bench seat out and the carpet pulled.

I got a quote yesterday on a transmission and transfer case out of a 92 Cherokee, front dana 30 and rear 8.25, drive shafts and all for $1k. Oh and free delivery. It seems like a good deal to me. Any thoughts?

I also took a trip to the pull a part. I got bucket seats out of a '92 cherokee, a full instrument cluster, front fender liners, digital clock, and tilt steering column out of an auto (not sure if I can make this work), a full front clip (mine is cracked at the top) and the ash tray just to fill the blank in the dash. Not a bad day's work for $127. Pictures coming soon.
Look for a complete 87-95 Jeep Cherokee that runs for little $$. I see some local here for under $800. Take the engine, trans, t-case, 4wd axles, all the extras you need etc. Then part the rest out and through away the shell to a local auto or metal recycler. Also your headliner board looks complete. As long as it doesn't crumble on you when you take it out it should be good. fill missing chunks with damp not wet paper masche'. Let it dry completely. Then get some headliner adhesive and felt or headliner from your local fabric store. Should look good as new when done.
mca1977jpsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #75
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Well the axles are already in and my transmission and transfer case are waiting on me in the garage. I was able to pull a headliner board out of a pull-a-part truck and had it recovered. Don't want to install it until I'm finished welding on the floor and get it painted.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.