90 MJ Comanche Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 90 MJ Comanche Build

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #46
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I got my new temperature and oil pressure sending units in today in preparation for the new gauge cluster. Should have been much easier than it was.

Mine didn't look like this:

Mine was probably rotated 30 ccw so that the oil filter prevented me from putting the new one on. So, I had to take the distributor off and back that plug off about 3/4 of a turn so I could put the new on one. Not difficult, but annoying. Oh and I'm not exactly sure how the old idiot light works, but mine surely didn't because it was unplugged.

rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #47
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanrph View Post
The black does work well for yours. Pretty much everything in mine is either light gray or the gray blue color, so we'll see. My new temperature sending unit finally came in today so I'm going to swap it and the oil pressure sending unit.

Is your carpet from ACC black, dark gray or sandalwood (which I can't really tell on their site what color that is) and did you get the poly or mass backing? If I can ever get my floor patched, I'll need to order mine. Thanks!
I started to do my interior in gray, but I changed my mind midway into it. If I'd stayed with gray I would be done already.

The carpet is black. I also got it without the mass backing. I wish I had now. The carpet kit is fitted pretty well, but the extra weight of the backing would probably make fitting/trimming it a lot easier.
kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #48
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Well, the floor has been trimmed and the new pan is going in tomorrow morning. Here's one last shot of the Flintstone mobile:

I decided to go ahead and start upgrading my audio, so I ordered some new speakers. Pioneer TS-A4672R & TS-D502P:

I hooked them up and with the factory stereo, they kinda sounded like garbage. So, I'm going to order a new head unit tonight.

Oh, I sold my car (extra cash for the MJ), but they guy paid me in $100s and a TJ:

I'll be fixing this one up and reselling it so I'll have more money for the MJ and my other TJ.
Unread 02-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #49
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

Good looking trade! I love the rims on those! I'd sell it like it is if runs good!
Unread 02-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #50
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Making some progress:

Hopefully, it can be finished tomorrow. Mirrors are coming tomorrow and the stereo should be here in a day or two.
Unread 02-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #51
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Got my '97 style Ebay mirrors. Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do about the space where the old ones were mounted.
Unread 03-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #52
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Progress has been slow. A little more work has been done on the floor, but its still not done (I need to learn to weld....). The headliner and visors have been recovered (not installed yet). I got a new slider for the back and pulled a couple things from the junkyard (transfer case linkage and front drive shaft for the 4wd swap mainly). Speaking of.. I'm moving forward with the swap. I'm picking up my axles this Saturday '96-99 HP Dana 30 and '97-'01 8.25 with 3.55 gearing.

I also plan on ordering my lift this week too (I'll install it when I swap axles). Right now its looking like Hell Creek's full 3" kit with lower control arms. Anything else I should get? Adjustable trackbar maybe, suggestions? This is going to be a DD with very little trail usage.

I'm also planning on new wheels and tires. 31x10.50 all terrains (probably) or mud terrains (haven't decided) and 15x8 wheels, leaning toward 3.75" back spacing so they'll stick out some (I hate the look of wheels tucked real far under the flares, like my stock wheels).

Comments/suggestions?
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #53
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Here's a shot of the new rear slider:

And here's one of the new console I picked up at the pull a part:
Unread 03-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #54
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I did this photoshop to get an idea of my end goal. Haven't completely decided on the color, but I'm leaning toward Jeep Dark Khaki Metallic. I might something else completely by the time I pony up the $ to have it painted.

Unread 03-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #55
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Here's the new Dana 30. It came with all 4 control arms, shocks, springs, track bar, steering linkage, brake rotors and I assume those are abs sensors (even though I asked for no abs, no big deal).

And here is the 8.25. I cut the old spring perches and shock mounts off last night. New spring perches are on the way.

The swap shouldn't be too bad. I've never dealt with drum brakes before, so I've got a little reading to do to get the cut e-brake cables out. I'm hoping I can just use the ones already in the truck. Any reason why I shouldn't be able to?
Unread 03-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #56
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I did this photoshop to get an idea of my end goal. Haven't completely decided on the color, but I'm leaning toward Jeep Dark Khaki Metallic. I might something else completely by the time I pony up the $ to have it painted.
I like the color with the gun metal Moabs!
sanchagrins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #57
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Did you ever find some new perches? If not, I've got the old ones off my diff. The brother in law did a pretty decent job cutting them off. Very usable and free.
kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #58
Geeper4x4
2009 JK Wrangler 

Wheelin and dealin! Extra TJ for sale good one!
Unread 03-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #59
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabowabo View Post
Did you ever find some new perches? If not, I've got the old ones off my diff. The brother in law did a pretty decent job cutting them off. Very usable and free.
I ended up ordering the Mopar ones from Summit like you suggested. I ordered them Tuesday night and they'll be here today. When I cut my old ones off, I did pretty well with one and could reuse it, but the other, not so much.

I'm going to prep the axle tonight and hopefully get the new ones welded on tomorrow. We'll see.
Unread 03-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #60
Keef-Burtons
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Yep. That'll do nicely!

I sooooooooo wish MJs made it across the Atlantic. I would love one. Great job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.