90 MJ Comanche Build - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 90 MJ Comanche Build

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #451
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

The company gave me a discount to just keep the wrap they sent me, so I ended up using it. Here is a shot of it on the wheel:

Here you can see the stitch pattern. This was right after I did it, so the glue wasn't dry and looks a little shiny where it seeped through a tad.

Here is a comparison of the original wheel on the left and the new on the right.

The original is going back in the new Wrangler I bought because its in really good shape. And finally, here's an installed picture:

Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out. On the bottom of the wheel you can see where the foam was slotted for the original seam, so I wish I would have filled that in beforehand. The leather quality is very good and the stitch pattern wasn't difficult. Stretching the leather in some places and getting the thread tight was however in some spots. When doing the top portion, about two thirds of the way through, the thread broke. Fortunately, we were able to tie a knot and tuck it away so I didn't have to re-stitch the whole thing and you'll never be able to see the knot. I will try to get some better pictures this weekend with my good camera to show off the color a little better.

rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #452
redaztec
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks nice! Is the company you bought the steering wheel leather from selling more of those yet? I've got the same wheel and it's pretty torn up...
redaztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #453
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaztec View Post
Looks nice! Is the company you bought the steering wheel leather from selling more of those yet? I've got the same wheel and it's pretty torn up...
Yeah, I have to send them some pictures of the completed install and I assume they will add it to their website then. In the meantime, you can always email them. The website is redlinegoods.com.
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #454
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Here is a better shot of the new wrap installed:

Unread 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #455
CherokeeJon
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I just spent over an hour reading this ENTIRE thread. Awesome, awesome build. I can't even believe the detail you went into. I actually emailed two guys on craigslist because of how much I love this comanche. I'll be keeping up for sure now that I found this.
CherokeeJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #456
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeJon View Post
I just spent over an hour reading this ENTIRE thread. Awesome, awesome build. I can't even believe the detail you went into. I actually emailed two guys on craigslist because of how much I love this comanche. I'll be keeping up for sure now that I found this.
That's how I got started. I saw two builds and went looking on CL for my own. I have the same build on the Comanche Club forums, but I tend to go into a lot more detail over there.

I've got a couple projects in mind, but they probably won't happen for a little while.
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #457
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just read the whole thread. Great build
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #458
SophomoreJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Your build inspired me to buy a Comanche now that I sold my wrangler. The attention to detail is awesome man
SophomoreJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #459
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Thanks for all the comments guys. The Steel Blue TJ will be up for sale soon and I won't be doing much on the MJ for a while because I have a new project to work on. Its not a Jeep, but I'm pretty excited about it.

Its a '68 Barracuda with a bunch of '67 parts. 360, 727 trans, 8.75 rear end. Its not quite as nice as the pictures make it look, but its still pretty cool.
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #460
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanrph View Post
So nice.
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #461
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Just ordered two of these to replace the lousy ProComp lights on my bar. I found a deal I just couldn't pass up.

http://oraclelights.com/automotive-l...r---Part--5721
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #462
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

The lights came in this week. Here you can see a comparison between the old and the new:

Its really a shame that the old lights are less than a year and a half old and the finish is completely gone. I picked up some new pins and seals for my weather pack connectors so my goal is to get them swapped out this weekend.
Unread 07-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #463
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Install went pretty easy since I've already done it before. I bought some new pins for the weather pack connectors, fed the wires through and hooked them up. I'm happy with the size compared to what I had before.

They are pretty dang bright in the daylight, so I'm curious to see what they'll look like in the dark.

Unread 07-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #464
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

For what I paid, I hoped that these lights would be significantly better than what I had and honestly, I'm amazed. I took some pictures, but they really don't capture just how bright these guys are.

Here are my poorly aimed high beams (these are the aftermarket Autopal housings with H4s and upgraded wiring):

And with the new Oracle's:

This just looks cool

When I flipped them on for the first time going down the back road to my house I was just blown away. I've very satisfied.
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #465
propjockey2002
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Man, that Manche is amazing! I think I might get a set of those lights for my TJ after seeing yours. BTW love that car I have always wanted a Cuda.
propjockey2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.