90 MJ Comanche Build - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 90 MJ Comanche Build

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #151
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanrph View Post
I'm talking about the top part of the dash. I think you're referring to the sub frame assembly that holds the steering column. I got all of the brackets made and I'll post pictures soon.
Yes, I was refering to the brackets. I haven't gotten to that part of mine yet. I was waiting to sell a motor. I figured it would be easier to sell, if someone could see it run. I plan to start taking stuff out this moth or next.
And yes, I'd like to see pictures. It really helps to see people fixing up Comanches.
Tom

75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #152
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
Yes, I was refering to the brackets. I haven't gotten to that part of mine yet. I was waiting to sell a motor. I figured it would be easier to sell, if someone could see it run. I plan to start taking stuff out this moth or next.
And yes, I'd like to see pictures. It really helps to see people fixing up Comanches.
Tom
Yeah, seeing it run does make sense. I have a video of mine running on youtube, so hopefully that will help me sell mine. I've got everything disconnected from the motor, but I don't want to pull it until I absolutely have too since I'm a little tight on space at the moment.

One of my big hurdles at the moment is that the XJ isn't in the garage. My neighbors probably wouldn't be happy if I stripped it and let it sit outside.

I should get some pictures of my dash brackets this evening.
rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #153
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Here are the first two brackets I made the other night:

I was trying to reuse the existing bolt holes. They work just fine, but they look ugly; I may redo them.

Here are the others (well two of them):

The squares in the corners kinda show where the dash tab fits between the two bolts and you can see the elongated hole where the mounting hole is. When I mount them permanently, I'll grind down the edges and corners up top so it doesn't rub on the windshield molding. I'll paint them of course too.
Unread 10-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #154
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

lol, I would take the motor, but you live to far away. Freight would be a PITA too.

Might have a use for a part off your donor Jeep though...

Did Chrysler change the mounts for the rear tail lights on the XJs at all between the years?
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #155
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
lol, I would take the motor, but you live to far away. Freight would be a PITA too.

Might have a use for a part off your donor Jeep though...

Did Chrysler change the mounts for the rear tail lights on the XJs at all between the years?
That's a good question. I really have no idea.
Unread 10-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #156
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I got the steering column dash sub-frame mocked into place. I only have two holes drilled at the moment, but I've got the rest marked. After I mounted it, it looked really low, but tonight I connected the brake pedal and it bolted up fine to the assembly on the firewall. After remeasuring, I might be 1/16th inch off, so not as bad as I thought. The holes are slotted and it doesn't affect the fitment of the dash, so I'm happy. Here are a couple shots:

I started to take the heater box out tonight, but realized I don't have the special tool to get the AC lines off. Hopefully I can get that mocked up tomorrow. After that, I'll move on to the wiring harness through the firewall and the steering column hole.
Unread 10-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #157
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I finally got the heater box out of the Cherokee and I'll be putting that back in this weekend, but the good news is that I have a NOS rear step bumper on the way!
Unread 10-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #158
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I made some decent progress over the last couple days. Most of it was disassembly in the XJ. I got the heater box from the Cherokee into the MJ. From the inside, the far right mounting stud had to be relocated up and to the right. Everything else was the same.

I got this computer box mounted to the firewall today:

I'm not 100% its in the right place. There are some significant differences between the firewalls that just looking at, it would be hard to spot. I'll know when I put the heater box back in.

I started working on the fuse panel and nothing lines up. There are 3 studs on the XJ that hold the fuse panel. On the comanche, the fuse panel would cover up the stock location for the radio antenna, so I'm planning on cutting that whole panel out of the XJ and using it as a patch on the MJ. I started doing the same on the driver side fire wall. I have several holes to fill. You can see where the clutch master was (it will be an auto when I'm done) and where the wiring harness came through.

Here, I have cut the firewall out of the XJ and use the booster bolts to locate it.

The hole on the top left is the hood release. Its the same size as the comanche, but its in a different place. The hole that's there just had a plug in it. I pushed on it from the inside and it went flying, so I'll have to look for it later. I'll just plug that hole back up and use the existing hood release hole. I still have to move the steering column hole and there is another small one up top that needs to be patched as well.
Unread 10-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #159
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I got my first firewall patch done. This is what the hole looked like after i cut it out:

And here it is with the patch in place:

I may add a couple more rivets, but I'm going to seam seal the edges on both sides when I'm done. I think what I'll do for the steering column hole is this: Cut the general area out of the MJ, cut a large patch from the XJ. Then I'll slide the patch onto the steering column and bolt it up. Then I can mark exactly where it needs to go.
Unread 10-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #160
1jack5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Look awesome man! I love these MJ builds, Whatever happened to the other TJ you got?
1jack5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #161
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Work continues on the firewall patches. Hopefully I'll have some progress to report on this week. In the mean time, here is some eye candy:

(Dexter couldn't help but put his nose on it)
Unread 10-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #162
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jack5 View Post
Look awesome man! I love these MJ builds, Whatever happened to the other TJ you got?
I sold it and made about $800 (after all the things I did to it). It had its issues; I don't miss that Jeep.
Unread 10-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #163
tomhorsley
2006 TJ Wrangler 

you have what has to be the best lookin' Comanche ive ever seen. very impressive build. what is the name of that isolation you used after patching the floors? Im working on an XJ build and will be needing to worry about such things within the next month (hopefully).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #164
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
you have what has to be the best lookin' Comanche ive ever seen. very impressive build. what is the name of that isolation you used after patching the floors? Im working on an XJ build and will be needing to worry about such things within the next month (hopefully).
Thanks!

Isolation is what keeps progress moving . Just messing with you; the insulation is just peel and seal roof flashing. I got it at Lowes. Good luck with your project.
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #165
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Well, its been a while, but I've made some progress. here is a shot of all the driver side patches on the firewall:

I got the motor pulled and here is a shot of the empty engine bay with the seam sealer on the patches:

And a shot of the fresh paint:

Tomorrow I'll start labeling the engine bay harness in the cherokee before I pull it. Once I get the harness in place, thing should start to go pretty quickly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.