90 MJ Comanche Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 90 MJ Comanche Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 12-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

90 MJ Comanche Build

I've owned three wranglers, but decided to start another Jeep project. I haven't decided if this will be a fix to keep or fix to sell Jeep yet, but here's what I've got:

Its a 1990 2wd 4.0 5 spd. It has 212k miles, but only about 50k on the rebuilt 4.0. It has some rust on the driver side floor board and the rear dana 35 is pretty much shot. The paint is pretty rough, but the body is in great shape overall.

Here are some pictures of when I picked it up:

(notice the mismatched mirrors)

I don't know if that headliner can be saved, but we'll see.

Last edited by rymanrph; 12-27-2009 at 01:21 PM..
rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I got the bench seat out and the carpet pulled.

I got a quote yesterday on a transmission and transfer case out of a 92 Cherokee, front dana 30 and rear 8.25, drive shafts and all for $1k. Oh and free delivery. It seems like a good deal to me. Any thoughts?

I also took a trip to the pull a part. I got bucket seats out of a '92 cherokee, a full instrument cluster, front fender liners, digital clock, and tilt steering column out of an auto (not sure if I can make this work), a full front clip (mine is cracked at the top) and the ash tray just to fill the blank in the dash. Not a bad day's work for $127. Pictures coming soon.

Last edited by rymanrph; 12-27-2009 at 01:21 PM..
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
jspecfever
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sound like a good start! I have a 87 MJ and gonna take the bench seat out and put some bucket seats in it, but im having a hard time finding some to match my tan interior..
Unread 12-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Bump for working pictures
Unread 12-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I got to working on the floor a little bit today. I got the broken e-brake cable out only to realize that the new one I bought is not the right one.

The passenger floor board really isn't that bad, just some surface rust. The driver side is worse than I thought. I found a small hole on the side near the rocker panel toward the back of the door and another hole on the left side under the parking brake pedal. There is surface rust all down the firewall on the inside. So I have to figure out what's leaking down.

Passenger side:

Driver side (most of the bright orange is the padding from the carpet that stuck to the floor):

Back driver side:

I obviously want to keep all this from happening again. What's the best way to find leaks? Also, does anyone know how to get the firewall padding off without taking everything off the firewall? I need to get behind it to address the surface rust on the driver side.
Unread 12-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

If anyone knows an administrator on the comanche club forums, can you tell them to please approve my account so I can post over there. Thanks!
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
jspecfever
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wow man, Im afraid to pull up my carpet and see what mine looks like lol
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
89eliminator
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanrph View Post
If anyone knows an administrator on the comanche club forums, can you tell them to please approve my account so I can post over there. Thanks!
PM Pete M on here.
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
89eliminator
1989 MJ Comanche 

nice MJ, my floors looked similar to yours on both my MJs
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Well, I have made some progress. The passenger side is pretty close to being ready for paint. Just a little more wire brushing and fill in the the small pin hole. The driver side has been a little more problematic. I've been trying to work around the firewall padding and its been rather annoying. I found the source of my leak. Its a leaky clutch master. The fluid dripped down and seeped in around the fuse panel. My floor boards have seam sealer everywhere. The whole firewall is covered in it. The fluid dripped down behind the seam sealer, so a lot of the rust was covered up.
Passenger Side:

Driver Side (I obviously have some more work to do, but at least all the fuzz is gone). I wiped down the passenger side, but not the driver side, so a lot of what you see is rust dust:

Its made itself right at home, pushing my other vehicles into the driveway.

I got started on my XJ bucket seats tonight, but while drilling out the studs on the old XJ mounts, my drill battery died, so no pictures of those till tomorrow.
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

awesome. Maybe weld in a new floor pan on the drivers side. some 1/8" plate steel should do. or some sheet metal.
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
LalanP111
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, this is going to be a good thread! Im doing the 4x4 swap on my 88 MJ, just a heads up on the 4x4..its not all that difficult but make sure you keep it soaked with WD40 or penetrating oil. Also it your keeping the manual tranny..the 94+ (correct me if Im wrong someone) have an external slave cylinder.

good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
It takes care of me and in return, I take care of it. Takes me away from everything I don't want to be around, and back again when needed...
LalanP111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
ItsaFinRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm doing a 4x4 conversion in mine soon as well =]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/itsafinrubicon-build-thread-1012286/"]2004 Jeep Rubicon[/URL] [SIZE="2"][/SIZE] ::[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]|R.C. 4"|PSC|Smittybilt|35" KM1|QTec|R.C.|[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Dtowngoalie;9869864]rausch frock rauschhhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=ajamison;11841284]trails frock trailssssss![/QUOTE]
ItsaFinRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i love mj's i will be watching this build.
4.0l sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
jeeplover88
1988 MJ Comanche 

Ill be watching this one. I'd be pretty scared to lift up my carpet too..:$ Good Luck!
jeeplover88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.