The '90 - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The '90

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 02-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #76
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

well i switched the leafs when i did the axle swap last night. right now its sitting level. but i havent driven it yet since switching he axle forced me to start on the SYE, which im doing at this moment. but so far so good

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #77
99XJburton
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Love the rig man, yours gives me hope. Think you said you had 200k+? Everday i worry about mine breaking down and crap, and i think to myself man i gotta stop modding this thing because i know its just gonna die on me soon, and im only at 130k.
Unread 02-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #78
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

thanks man!

and mine isnt even close to 200k, it has 153k on it now.

My POS
Quote:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
Unread 02-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #79
99XJburton
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oh, haha. Well regardless, sweet rig. Those RE 4.5 kits sit really nice on 35's
Unread 02-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #80
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

yeah i know. im thinking i will get 33's next. i had a friend come over and help with my swap and we put his 33's on my jeep. it looked so BAD A$$.

anyway i got the SYE all done. it went really smooth. i really took my time and fiddled around. i was in no rush. the only thing i have left to do is take out the t-case drop, and get new e-brake cables. right now im not running them at all.

well here is my output shaft ready to cut

and after i cut it. initially i tried cutting it with a small pnuematic cutting wheel, but i quickly went to the 4.5" grinder. didnt get it totally straight at first but after some time with the shaft spinning with the grinder i had it nice and square

now this was the scariest part, drilling the hole. i wanted to get an centered as possible so i looked at the swirl marks on the shaft and marked it with a sharpie and spun the shaft to make sure it was centered. then i got a decent sized punch and went to town. luckily i got it almost perfectly in the center.

and i learned good drill bits make all the difference. i used bits i had at my house, probably old and dull. after 15 minutes of drilling i got maybe 1/10th" into the shaft. so i made a trip to home depot and got some new dewalt bits with a pilot piont. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! i was done drilling in about 20 minutes. i took my time and started smaller than suggested and went up two sizes at a time until i got to the 21/64" bit with the kit. that method worked well.

and then came the tapping. the hardest part is getting it started and keeping it clean while you go. i probably completely took the tap out to clean the tap and threads four or five times. i also ended up using my own tap, the supplied one is junk and got dull about halfway through and i didnt want it to snap. mine made it a breeze

then the seal and flange. this part is self explanatory. but the flange is a very tight fit on the shaft. i had to tap it on with a hammer but i went on no problem

all bolted up. i have about another inch of extension left in the shaft. plus i think the suspension will settle some since i swapped the leafs left to right and it now sits higher in the rear whereas it was level before front to back.

i also changed the t-case fluid, it was really brown and smelly for some reason.

My POS
Quote:
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #81
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

heres what is looked like with 33's

My POS
Quote:
Unread 02-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #82
kale2s
2000 TJ Wrangler 

looks good with the 33s
kale2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #83
HankyDanky
1989 XJ Cherokee 

That looks sooooo sexy with the 33's... lol. Upgrade now!!!!

The XJ Rebuild- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1327643/

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.
HankyDanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #84
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyDanky View Post
That looks sooooo sexy with the 33's... lol. Upgrade now!!!!
haha thanks guys. i know i need to get some soon. but the tires on now are still near new. and i would have to regear. those are the two deterrents at the moment. its all about the benjamins

My POS
Quote:
Unread 02-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #85
99XJburton
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i hear you on that. part of me wants to just say f it and get the 33's and wait for $ to come in for the regear but the other part of me wants to wait until i can just do it all at once, but with it being a DD i think im just gonna wait it out, MPG hurts.
Unread 02-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #86
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

yeah im in the same boat. mine is my DD and only vehicle. i would rather regear before getting tires, not long before though. the acceleration of a jeep with 4.88's and 29" tires would be awesome. haha

My POS
Quote:
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #87
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

got my hellas mounted finally

My POS
Quote:
Unread 03-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #88
HankyDanky
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
yeah im in the same boat. mine is my DD and only vehicle. i would rather regear before getting tires, not long before though. the acceleration of a jeep with 4.88's and 29" tires would be awesome. haha
Ahh its the DD.. I see. I have a honda accord as my DD so I can leave the heep in peices for days on end with out even haveing to think about it. Get another DD so you can beat the hell outta the XJ!!

The XJ Rebuild- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1327643/

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.
HankyDanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #89
Pat_S
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
In case you didn't know, I've always admired your Jeep and respect what you've done. Keep those pictures coming!
Pat_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #90
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

why thank you pat. right now im going through more oil leak headaches. but i hope to get my own 33's before too long

My POS
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.