89 YJ Fell Into My Lap: SquareLamps' Slow Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 89 YJ Fell Into My Lap: SquareLamps' Slow Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

89 YJ Fell Into My Lap: SquareLamps' Slow Build

My Jeep story starts off with my girlfriend, now wife, and I going to Glendale, CA in 2006. We went to visit her grandparents and stay a long weekend. I was meeting them for the first time and I was new to California. We had many things planned on the trip but we didn't have a car, and we needed transportation to get around on our own. Her grandpa had this red Jeep which I didn't know a thing about at the time. He told us that we could use the vehicle for whatever we needed. So we cruised around Glendale in this chromed-out stock height YJ on 32's that didn't fit, complete with fat nerf bars and tube bumpers front and back. The tires rubbed at full lock and carved out arches in the fender flares each time it hit a bump. It rode like the Indian Jone's ride at Universal Studios! But I still thought it was the greatest thing ever. I wish I had a picture of the way it looked back then.

A couple years later, her grandpa got sick, an illness that he eventually died from. They moved to Northern CA to be closer to family and get treatment. The medical bills were coming in and they had to liquidate assets, sell the house, all that kind of stuff.

To my surprise, the YJ was gifted to me.

The first thing I did was ditch the tow bar and the weather checked 32's and found some 235's that would work with the stock suspension and actually had tread on them. It was an ugly setup, but they were cheap.

Here's the nasty chrome look at my first visit to Hollister Hills SVRA. I'm SURE people were laughing but I really had a blast wheeling with friends. Sawyer enjoyed it too.

2.5L 4" RC w/ 5/8" shackles & N2.0 shocks, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R Kevlars on 15x8 Pro Comp 51 wheels, Superwinch X9 w/ remote solenoids, SRC front bumper, custom rear bumper/carrier/jerry can rack, Warn rocker guards, Hi-Lift jack, Cobra HH 38WX handheld, electric fan mod

SquareLamps' Slow YJ Build
SquareLamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Finally after running it stock for like a year, I was able to lift it. 4" RC lift. I know I know, those RC lift are like impulse buys for Jeepers just starting out. And yeah, it gave me the high I was looking for.....complete with some used mud rovers for $180 installed. I was thrilled......and hooked.

BTW. The RC springs could not work with stock shackles. They have this pressed in bushing with the middle dowel/spacer built in. Had to press them out, then get a shackle kit. At the time I only had a pair for the front. I got a set for the rear later.
2.5L 4" RC w/ 5/8" shackles & N2.0 shocks, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R Kevlars on 15x8 Pro Comp 51 wheels, Superwinch X9 w/ remote solenoids, SRC front bumper, custom rear bumper/carrier/jerry can rack, Warn rocker guards, Hi-Lift jack, Cobra HH 38WX handheld, electric fan mod

Last edited by SquareLamps; 03-18-2014 at 05:36 PM..
Unread 03-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Removed chrome nerf bars finally, and was able to sell both front and rear tube bumpers as a set. Made a couple hundy. That was a good day. Removed the old seats which were original. The back supports were totally busted, had to ratchet strap the backs to the roll bar. Installed some bucket seats that I bought used. One of the worst things I ever did. Narrow enough to fit in the jeep but too narrow for my hind end. but they're still in and I'll live with them until I can afford decent replacements.

Unread 03-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Enter a craigslist Hi Lift jack for the hood and a Smitty SRC front bumper. Sometime around this time I learned on JF that I had installed my front shackles upside down. Not really a big deal in the from but always learning. Of course I had to get d-ring shackles. This picture taken after some wheeling at Prairie City SVRA near Folsom, CA.

Unread 03-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

With the money from selling all of the chrome stuff I bought new wheels. Pro comp 51s with 3.25" of backspacing, or was it 3.75"? Can't remember. Sold my aluminum centerline style wheels.
Again, Prairie City.

Unread 03-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #6
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

On my way to class up in North Sacramento.....got rear-ended

The other guy.....

SRC bumper crinkled the honda in front of me pretty good. no damage up front, just scratches.

Unread 03-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used the insurance settlement to buy steel for making a rear bumper/tire carrier. Yeah the latch wasn't thought out too well....it later got cut off.

Unread 03-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Powdercoat! Installed Warn's sliders around the same time. Also a new black soft top.

Unread 03-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I did a lot to the YJ around this time because of the insurance settlement. Including a Superwinch X9. Did a custom install on it mounting the solenoid housing under the hood to try and protect it from the elements more. Got a new battery, with marine terminals.

Unread 03-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wheeled it like that for a while. Was getting ready to move to back to WI.

Unread 03-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

After getting to WI my fan clutch took a crap so decided to do the Taurus fan mod. Again, thanks JF.

Unread 03-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
forrest21

Looks great. How's the 2.5L running with those tires? Any drag?
forrest21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
SquareLamps
WI Wants an OHV Park

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Found some trails up here with Titletown Jeepers and one of my sidewalls on my Dunop's gave up the ghost. So I decided fresh meat was in order......

Pretty much how she sits currently.....

Unread 03-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #14
Bigev
KCCO

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good man, I like the rear tire carrier.
Unread 03-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #15
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

Water proof them fan relays and wires

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.