89 Yj Blanket Creek Area 51 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 89 Yj Blanket Creek Area 51

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-11-2003, 01:54 PM   #1
89 YJ

89 Yj Blanket Creek Area 51

my jeep

my buddies xj

the president of Lost Coast 4x4's rig

Northern Ca rock climbing

The blue one with the door open is mine

89 YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2003, 07:16 PM   #2
93jeepyj2.5

What kind of mods do you have? Is that an 8274 on your front bumper?

-Heath

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 12:51 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What is the story on the trail-run, and what is the story on your YJ?

Great pics .. when were they taken?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2003, 08:23 AM   #4
89 YJ

YJ

The winch is an old 8274. Got an excellent deal on it but I need to get some new cable soon.

The pictures are from April 21, 2002. It was before I started making my YJ bigger. At that time I had 32 bfg mt tires and rancho shocks with 3 inch lift springs and 1.5 inch lift shackels. I get a lot of crap about the lift shackles, but I like them and they work good to (feel) the rocks. They also keep me from bending my steering bar. The jeep has the nutter bypass on it which im not sure how much improvement it made. I also put a 4.0 liter HO head on it, and a header. I have the adapter for the webber carb, and plan to get one soon.

Recently I did a custom springover on it which puts me at around 11 inches of lift. Forget the math, cause the spring pearches are custom made to level the front and back. With the 32 inch tires, it has 12.5 inches of clearance between the tire and fenderflare. I also got some shocks that have a good lenth for the lift. The front have 14 inches of movement, and the rear have 12 inches. It has custom made track bar quick disconnect on the rear. I dont know if im going to make one for the front yet, because with it hooked up I can stuff the tires into the fenderflares. Guess I will need to make some bumpstops for it.

Anyhow, I could ramble on for days but I should get to the bad news. On the way home from where I was working on it, (dont have a good garadge at home) I was having fun getting used to the power steering I put on it and the new height was very fun to drive. I was thinking, all I need to do now is have the front driveline made, and put the shocks on when they arrive. Then I gave her a good downshift, and the poor dana 35 bit the big one! I was wondering what everyone was complaining about because I have never broke an axel. Guess the bearings cant handle the oversized tires. It happened to a 95yj about 4 months ago, but I figured it was improper installation. The bearing races spun and ruined the case Well needless to say im looking for a new rearend. Dana 44's out of a xj are supposed to be the same width. Any ideas on a good place to get a unit that will handle 35"s or bigger with a locker that is the same width would be appreciated. Oh, and hopefully I wont have to have a new driveline made again, cause the one I have only has 56 miles on it...
89 YJ Islander, AC,PS, 10 inch lift, 32 BFG MT's, sway quick disconnect, rear track bar quick disconnect, 400 watt 12 speaker cd player for tunes,8000lb warn 8274 with 150 ft cable, and a high lift jack.. Lockers, 35's, webber carb and jacobs ignition comming soon.
Unread 01-21-2003, 08:56 AM   #5
89 YJ

Trail run...

I kinda forgot to mention much about the trail. It started out as the Rough and Ready run, but due to snow levels, we ended up at Blanket Creek. We had about 15 rigs on the run, which was a good turnout. 15 is a good size for a run. Any bigger and it gets confusing, and depending on the type of rigs, the pulling of less modified rigs can get kinda frustrating. It was a good day. We all had fun and noboady broke anything to serious. Blanket Creek is a run Lost Coast 4X4's do about twice a year. It is an area near Black Lassic and Red Lassic in northern CA. Its a pretty good spot to play. Has 3 real good trails, and lots of good spots to rock climb. I tried it in the snow once, and its not a good thing.
Its getting kinda tuff to find fun and places to play in Northern CA, because the trails are getting closed because of the politics around here. The club is in court fighting to get Black Sands Beach reopened. I hope we can get it open, as I have never got to play there. Its getting kinda sad around here as we have tons of awesome places to 4X4, but they are off limits now. Makes it hard for the guys who work hard for their families and can only play on the weekends. Cant drive all over the country to find a good place to 4X4 thats legal. I hope to buy some land in a good area to make into a 4X4 spot.
89 YJ Islander, AC,PS, 10 inch lift, 32 BFG MT's, sway quick disconnect, rear track bar quick disconnect, 400 watt 12 speaker cd player for tunes,8000lb warn 8274 with 150 ft cable, and a high lift jack.. Lockers, 35's, webber carb and jacobs ignition comming soon.
Unread 01-21-2003, 11:41 AM   #6
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Re: YJ

Quote:
Originally posted by 89 YJ
Anyhow, I could ramble on for days but I should get to the bad news. On the way home from where I was working on it, (dont have a good garadge at home) I was having fun getting used to the power steering I put on it and the new height was very fun to drive. I was thinking, all I need to do now is have the front driveline made, and put the shocks on when they arrive. Then I gave her a good downshift, and the poor dana 35 bit the big one! I was wondering what everyone was complaining about because I have never broke an axel. Guess the bearings cant handle the oversized tires. It happened to a 95yj about 4 months ago, but I figured it was improper installation. The bearing races spun and ruined the case Well needless to say im looking for a new rearend. Dana 44's out of a xj are supposed to be the same width. Any ideas on a good place to get a unit that will handle 35"s or bigger with a locker that is the same width would be appreciated. Oh, and hopefully I wont have to have a new driveline made again, cause the one I have only has 56 miles on it...
If you can find the XJ Dana 44 go for it, I hear that finding them is getting harder all the time. Another good option that several others have done here is the Ford 8.8" axle from the Explorer. Just as tough as the Dana44, same bolt pattern for the wheels, and if you get a new enough axle, it even has the disk-brakes!

Enough of this tech talk - we wanna see pictures here!!!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2003, 09:20 AM   #7
89 YJ

Re: Re: YJ

Quote:
Originally posted by NaeKid

If you can find the XJ Dana 44 go for it, I hear that finding them is getting harder all the time. Another good option that several others have done here is the Ford 8.8" axle from the Explorer. Just as tough as the Dana44, same bolt pattern for the wheels, and if you get a new enough axle, it even has the disk-brakes!

Enough of this tech talk - we wanna see pictures here!!!
Thanks Naekid. Ive been researching, and the 8.8 is the way ive decided to go. 95 and newer have the disk brakes. Found one with a factory posi lock and 4.10 gears Just need the cash..... Also, if anyone knows of a good web program I can upload some pics on my web page and post off of it. I have tons of cool pics that arnt on the club website! Need a simple web program that makes it easy to upload to the website... Thanks...
Unread 01-27-2003, 10:01 AM   #8
Brock

I love that color of your Jeep. My 89 Wrangler is the exact same Smurf blue color and I get compliments on it all the time. Nice rig.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 04:22 PM   #9
89 YJ

more pics

Dont have any more of mine, so ill post some of the club pics. This one lost the engine. Wasnt a club member, but we towed him out anyway
Unread 01-30-2003, 04:24 PM   #10
89 YJ

its not a jeep but its a cool pic

Did a nice nosedive
Unread 01-30-2003, 04:26 PM   #11
89 YJ

backside of blanket creek

Unread 01-30-2003, 04:28 PM   #12
89 YJ

guess where!!!!!

Anyone in Utah better know where this is........

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.