89 yj 5.3 VORTEC SWAP - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 89 yj 5.3 VORTEC SWAP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #136
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by panaceabeachbum View Post
I based my decission between Novak and AA after calling them both and talking to them for about 15 minutes each. The guy at AA kept telling me the output side of the 2wd 4l60e was 27 spline and it would mate perfectly with my 231j with their adapter. I explaned multiple times it was a 2wd tans and couldnt seem to get thru . Called Novak , they were spot on with everything.

Probably my only complaint with Novak is they charged me $45 to ship a transfer case shifter via UPS with an actual shipping cost of less than $12. Product and ship time are top notch so far.

Not much to be jealous of on the shop, its just a 50 year old block building my dad built with a wood and metal addition. Small cramped and always cluttered with crap.
Hahahaha

The great thing about Novak is every single one of them has been working on jeeps and doing swaps for years, they are all really knowledgeable and have a lot of experience. They are also always trying to make things better by doing thier own in house swaps, we were prototyping a JK with an all aluminum 5.3 while I was there, it was crazy fun to drive. The 5.3 and 6.0 are Novaks favorite engines, so they provide a lot of support for it.

The bad thing about Novak is they are surprisingly small and every person there works their A** off to keep up, but sometimes they can't, but they definitely take time to make a quality product and provide support for their customers.

You really will not have ayny worries w that fuel set up

My current shop consists of a parking spot.... with no way to even run any kind of 110v power....

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #137
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

with your gearing your jeep will probably be faster than mine, you will love it. mine is blowing my mind at how easily it drives compared to the 4 cyl. everything else feels doggish when im not in the jeep. cruised up to 90 the other day... held it great at like 2200 rpms (bad gears) only trouble is stopping quickly lol
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #138
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am sure looking forward to that, with the 4cyl it was a dog on the road , great in sand but no fun on the highway. I do think I hit 85mph one time on the interstate going down hill into KY
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #139
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

GRRRRR still no ebrake cable from M.O.R.E. , I was told they were overnighting the proper cables on Monday, I told the fellow as long as they were here by this weekend so I could start routing the exhaust we would be OK. Friday is here and it appears they havent shipped the cables yet. Glad this thing isnt my DD LOL

Unread 10-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #140
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Friday I Installed my new walbro pump on the unit which drops in the tank. First pic shows the unmodified pick up unit. I just cut the small loop off that the original pump sat on, measured the distance from the seal at the top to the bottom of the tank and then used a hose clamp to attach the new pump to the side of the return line and fuel level sender at the proper depth so that the screen will sit right at the bottom of the tank.

Unread 10-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #141
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I made a little more progress on the antiwrap bar yesterday. I am using a 3/4" hiem joint at the front of the bar, the chasis shop localy only uses 1" and 1.25 joints so I was unable to fint the weld in insert. I machined one from some 1.25" barstock and threaded 3/4 x 16 in the small lathe .

Then welded the threaded insert in the lower bar which is 1.25 od x .155 wall dom , then faced and turned it to clean it up a bit in the big lathe.

Unread 10-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #142
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

here is a pic of the upper and lower bars tacked together

Unread 10-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #143
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

today I was able to sqeuze in a few hours on the exhaust system, The c6 manifolds landed on friday . I had to machine a couple of flanges to work with the manfolds , I machined the center hole to be a nice snug fit over the 2.5" tubing I am using for the first half of the sytem.

These manifolds use a flat gasket instead of the more common conical gasket on the truck manifolds.
Unread 10-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #144
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

A few pics comparing the truck manifolds and the corvette manifolds

Unread 10-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #145
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I started with the drivers side pipe, like most of the threads i took my inspiration from I just came forward and under the oil pan to wrap around the passenger side. This pipe is 2.5" and it used two walker 90 degree elbows , one summit 45 and 4' length of pipe to reach the rear of the transfer case.

Unread 10-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #146
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The drivers side used one summit 45 , which is aprox 1' long on either side of the bend, and 19" of 2.5" diam tube

Unread 10-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #147
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I decided to bring both the 2.5" pipes into a 3" outlet collector from magnaflow which ends at the rear edge of the transfer case. I am going to make a flange to weld at the back of the collector and to the front of the muffler since the front half of the exhaust system can be dropped and removed as a unit with out any problem. I still need to address the long runs of hose in the pic below, the original setup used two long rubber hoses also but I am considering using hard line with short lengths of hose on each end.

Here is a pic of it out on the ground after finish welding

And a shot of the collector at the rear of the transfer case

Unread 10-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #148
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

We are doing a photo shoot tommorow with a new model for a magazine add so it will be another week before I can get the exhaust finished up. Its dropping into the low 60's here at night, hopefully I will get the chasis finished up over the next two weeks so we can get on the body and paint before it gets any colder
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #149
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i could only dream of doing a job that nice... that is absolutely stunning fantastic work sir. whoever will be the next owner of the jeep someday will be a very happy person
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #150
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

following!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-little-yj-1127802/
nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.