Spent the day moving the whole shop around to fit the jeep body inside. Took forever but now I can work on everything a little at a time inside.
I hope to get the body on the frame by the end of the month.
This weekend I repaired 4 of the 8 mounts on the body. I welded nuts to these small plates. The plates sit inside the body where the old mounts were.
Here's a pic of the 4 pieces I have left to install. The plate moves around about 1/2" each way inside the body so hopefully everything will line up when the time comes.
Hopefully I can finish the last few mounts and get the body on soon.
Today I spent a couple hours repairing the last 4 body mounts. I would have put the body on the frame, but needed a few more hands.
As you can see, the whole stock square nuts and cages didn't hold up so great.
I didn't get many good pictures of the front two mounts, but it basically went like this. Cut and bent an access hole, then cleaned out the old nut and cages, placed my new hardware in, and welded it up.
In the back, I ended up removing the tailgate because it had some rust issues. Then I cut two access holes right near the hinge access. Cleaned up the inside, and mounted my new hardware. I'll weld it back up once the body is on the frame.
Only thing I have left to do is drill holes for the body mount in the rear crossmember. I probably should have just replaced it with one from BJ's, but I repaired it and now have to figure out where to drill my two holes.
Body is bolted down! Going to pick up some 7/16" fender washers for the body mounts but other than that body is on for good.
The springs are basically brand new BJ's 6" so hopefully they will settle as all the weight gets bolted on, its too high at the moment.
Windshield and rear quarter windows are out. Going to strip the dash and firewall this week.
Also got a lead on a 5.3L so it looks like I will be picking it up this week.
Lastly, picked up a reman steering box at Napa today.
Picked up my motor! 5.3L LM7 from a 2004 Sierra 1500. 110k. Got everything included, all accessories, wiring harness, airbox, manifolds, and pedal. Purchased from Bow Auto Salvage in Bow, NH. Good deal, and everything I needed, couldn't pass it up.
Got a few hours of work in this weekend. Welder was out of gas so instead of welding up holes in the firewall, I got my motor, trans, and tcase bolted together and mocked up. There just wasn't a whole lot to mock up. It fit perfect. I set my novak mounts to the middle adjustment, and I think I am in pretty good shape. The carriage bolts were kind of a pain to get set but they lined up before I got too frustrated. The transmission mount I used was from an '04 1500
I went out and picked up a 4l60e from an 04 with a 6 month warranty, and then I picked up a 241C from craigslist.
I had to go out and find the right adapter for the trans/tcase, but once I got the right one, it was pretty smooth. I do need a few more studs for the tcase but I figure I can rob them from my old tcase.
I put the nose in place just to see how it lines up. Happy with the results.
Plenty of room for exhaust with the stock manifolds. It gets a little tight at the brake booster and the heater core box, but I think I can wrestle the box in there. Hood clearance looks great.
Goals for this week are to weld the top of the motor mounts, plate off and redrill the 2 holes in my crossmember, then probably pull it all out so I can clean up and paint the firewall.'
Its been a long time since I have posted but you haven't missed much. I sourced a transfer case shifter from a 2000 gmc 1500 that looks like it will fit nicely. I am sending my LM7 harness and computer to Novak for work next week I hope. I also plan on sourcing my radiator and fan setup from Novak this month. The tops of the motor mounts got welded in and I pulled the whole drive-train. Now it is off to the body shop to get some rot repair done on the rear lower quarters and floor pans.
While the jeep is at the body shop, I plan on notching the crossmember for front driveshaft clearance.
I have a few questions that I am currently trying to figure out.
Should I do an SYE kit on my 241? The jeep is lifted 6". Also trying to source driveshafts for the tcase.
Lastly I am trying to figure out the best fuel tank/pump/regulator to use.
I got a BJ's Offroad 3" stainless exhaust kit for Christmas. Anyone else running this with their LS swap? Trying to figure out what to do about a y-pipe.
Started some final work to the inside of the body. Won't need this old transfer case shifter hole.
Also installed new studs in the 241 transfer case.
Starting to think about driveshafts. Should I do an SYE kit? I have 6" of lift. The output on the 241 is 32 spline. What vehicles should I look for front/rear driveshafts? Any help would be appreciated!
Picked up drag link parts at Napa a few weeks back. They look pretty nice, but came unpainted. So those got a coat of paint and are about to get installed as soon as I can find the nut for my steering box to hold the pitman arm on. Also found this Rancho steering stabilizer that came off the Wagoneer when I bought it.
Napa part numbers for those interested:
NCP 2691105 - Adjusting Sleeve
NCP 2695040 - Drag link
NCP 2692328 - TRE at pitman arm
Tore apart the heater core for a small project yesterday.
The replacement heater core (right) looks smaller and less beefy than the one I took out (left). I was a little concerned but I will just use the one I purchased. I got it from RockAuto.
Part #: 9010110
Lastly, just cleaning up the parts to the heater core with some paint.
I am expecting to receive my wiring harness, computer, radiator, and electric fan from Novak next week. Then the real progress will get underway. The gas tank and pump are also here, I am trying to figure out straps this weekend. I plan on picking up some paint for my firewall next week as well. It will be painted the stock "Dark Baltic Blue".