A year and a half ago I picked up a 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer last year with a bad motor and decent body. I love full size jeeps. I've built one Grand Wagoneer and have a couple parts ones. This will be my second build and so far its going pretty good.
The plan is to fully frame off restore, while throwing in some goodies like a 6" lift and 33"s. For the motor, I'm currently looking for a GM 5.3L or 6.0L.
But here's what I started with. A 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with a new 6" BJ's offroad lift kit, and brand new 33" tires. Junk frame, like most here in New England, and a crappy running AMC 360.
The body is not too bad, it needs a fender and a lower rear quarter panel, but its in good shape. Right now I'm thinking I will paint it a navy blue.
Got it in the shop and ready to tear down.
Pulled out the interior while I had power to the seats.
On the rear axle, the drum brakes had to go. I went on Ebay and found some caliper brackets for a small GM caliper and a caliper kit with ebrake.
Then went to napa and picked up some rotors. Clearance is tight as you can see with the 15" wheels. Welded the brackets on, and got the rear axle painted and installed.
Here we go, rolling frame. Very excited.
This is where I'm at today. This weekend I'm going to repair the body mounts on the frame and sandblast the underside of the body.
Finished my frame repairs today. Cut some body mounts of of this 3/16" plate with the plasma cutter.
Welded in. Should be plenty strong to hold up this monster body.
Had a hard time finding a trailer hitch. But this one came off an old parts jeep of mine.
Sandblasted and straightened it out, bolted up. The frame back there wasn't rotted, but a little thin for my liking.
So we made this plate that sandwiches the frame between the hitch and the plate. Should be okay.
Well today was an interesting day. Went a few steps backwards but its for better in the long run.
But first thing this morning I ordered some Novak motor mounts from BJ's Offroad. They're for a GM III generation engine so I can use a 5.3L or 6.0L like I want to.
Well today's plan was to sandblast the underside of the body. I got all set up and went through one bag of sand.
The body is in decent shape. But I got under and saw I had a little more work to do than I remembered.
Meet the parts jeep.
I crawled under and this is what I found.
A little better. Plus the body mounts appear to be in better shape too. So I hauled the body I was going to use out.
Tomorrow I will take off the new body and get it ready for sandblasting. Anyone recommend a good paint to use on the bottom of the body?
Hopefully tomorrow I will have the good body off and sandblasted.
I haven't gotten too much work done lately, plus school starts this week so I can only work on weekends. Might slow down progress a little.
But anyways today I got the body off the frame to sandblast and prep for the frame. My frame is 100% ready to accept the body. Body mounts are on the way.
Today's progress was this.
Oh and I got my motor mounts from Novak. They bolt/weld in so I don't have any guess work on where to put them. They're for a 5.3L or a 6.0L GM III gen motor.
So motor hunt in underway.
Finally got a full day to work on the jeep. Today I sandblasted the whole underside of the body and got a first coat of paint on it.
Tomorrow I have to figure out how I'm going to get this thing back inside the shop.
I have to fix all the body mounts, throw some more paint on it, then I can set it on the frame and commence body work.