'88 Comanche Olympic Pioneer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '88 Comanche Olympic Pioneer

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 09-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

'88 Comanche Olympic Pioneer

Since Jankoid had such good response with his '89 MJ build thread, I thought I'd go ahead and post up some info on my 2nd Comanche.

Since having one Comanche is never enough, here is #2. Its a 1988 Pioneer Olympic edition. 4.0, 5 speed, 4wd. I got it from another Jeep lover across the state (about 10 hours of driving in one day) and I'm picking up where he left off. I'm not sure sure what the final plans for this truck is, but I know my dad has his eye on it, so we'll see.

The good:
Straight body, excellent rear bumper, has AC, relatively new carpet and headliner, bench seat in good condition, upgraded gauge cluster, open cooling system, hitch, rear slider window (not sure how it opens yet), nice wheels.

The not so good:
Tiny bit of rot on both rockers, decals and body moldings have seen their better days, tailgate needs paint (paint in general is average, but not bad for its age) and it appears to have a leaking slave cylinder.

All in all, its a great platform and it has tons of potential. I had a great day driving with my dad and the previous owner is really excited that someone is going to be able to finish what he started fixing. Its been a fun day being a Comanche enthusiast. Now that I'm finishing up my '90, I've got another project to keep me busy.

rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I got the moldings and stripe off. You can see on some panels where the decals were applied before the paint was completely dry, but it looks pretty good from a distance. When I removed the door handles, I broke the spring on the inside, so I swapped out the handles from the rear door of my '97 donor. I tried polishing the wheels, but I only got half way done on the rear one and quit.
Unread 09-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I tried out the black grill, but ended up going back with the white.

I installed a new slave cylinder and it shifts OK. It could probably use a little more bleeding, but it works.

I diagnosed the rust issue in the floor board. I haven't seen any evidence of problems on the passenger side, but here is what I found on the driver side:

More than I thought, but certainly not as bad as it could have been.
Unread 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I swapped out the half-working fog lights for my Hella driving lights that I had on the '90.

The covers are white and black so they look better on this truck. I haven't upgraded the head lights on the '88 like I did on the '90, so I think having driving lights will be better than the fogs.

I dropped the truck off at the body shop yesterday. It will be getting the rust holes in the rockers patched and the tail gate will be painted. I also found out the front shocks are toast. I still have the original suspension from the '90, so I'll try those shocks (and springs) to see if they're any better.
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That is one sweet 'manche!

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

very clean!!! me likey.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
gyrene
1999 XJ Cherokee 

All and All this looks to be in great shape.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymanrph View Post
Since Jankoid had such good response with his '89 MJ build thread, I thought I'd go ahead and post up some info on my 2nd Comanche.
So you and I are in a comment war now huh?
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I got the truck back from the shop today and promptly gave it a bath. The camera makes the whole truck look way better than it is, but you can see the drop in the front a lot better in this shot:

And since I got the tail gate painted, I went ahead and added the www.jeepsticker.com (plug for Spencer) Jeep decals:
Unread 11-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I painted the rear bumper today as well as the tailgate handle. I think it looks a lot better.

Unread 11-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
plmqazed
1992 YJ Wrangler 

com anche monster
plmqazed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Very clean, very nice. Has a lot of potential. I like that green thing in your garage too
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I still had the old bench from my 1990 and the back was torn on the cover of this bench seat, so I took it to the upholstery shop and had him repair the tear and put it on the old back. Now the cover is repaired and it has head rests.

Unread 12-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

I did something to my truck today.

Here is the before:

And here is the after:

You're probably thinking, "he did the '97+ front end swap," but you're wrong. I actually traded it for a '99 2 door XJ.

Its a Sport model with power options and cruise control. They guy that I traded wanted to keep his wheels and tires, so we swapped.

Its going to be my new daily driver. It will get better gas mileage than the green MJ and since I'm working in uptown Charlotte now, not having to drive the stick shift in the cobalt will be nice.

I'm going to miss the '88. Its been driving really great recently and I've got a lot of compliments on it. For where I live and work and what my needs are, this is going to be a good swap for me. I gave the new owner a CC card and told him to swing on by. For posterity, here is one last shot of both MJs this morning:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.