Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

88 6bt Cummins body swapped tj

6K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  wyattlablance01 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all starting my cummins jeep build this weekend. (rip apart everything) I came across a almost complete 2wd 88 reg cab long box with a gtec 5 speed for about 600 with no axles, been hunting down parts over the past couple of months and lots of planning. Picked up a D 205 for 275 and the Jeep TJ tub for 250 bucks. And lastly the axles are 85 3/4 tons picked up for 450 (unsure of gear ratio rn haven't picked them up). I will be shortening the cummins frame to a slightly longer wheelbase around a foot and recessing the engine in the fire wall to attempt to keep a more "stock" jeep look. Yes I know the 6bt is heavy so no need to tell me to go for a 3.9lt I am building this for a fun summer daily not looking to make some crazy wheeling machine that's what my light turboed yj is for. I will be trying my best to keep y'all updated.

Turbocharged 93 YJ
08 Mazda 3

See less See more
#2 ·
A first Gen Dodge 3/4 ton, cool whats the rest of the trucks look like?

Oh and a 6bt, yes its heavy but I think its only a few hundred over the 4bt I have, cool build.

Jason.

#4 ·
Cool looking truck and its odd that it didn't have an inner cooler. Most of the two wheel drive trucks Ive seen have the inner cooler.

That's why I was asking if it was 4 wheel drive punk the axles from the donor truck,

what state do you live in and is the cab rotted out, a little beat up is not a big deal but rot is, im thinking if your scrapping the shell and its not to bad im interested in that style truck, sorry to derail your thread, just hate seeing old iron get crushed.

Jason.

#6 ·
Canada eh, lol ya that would be a stretch. My dad and I picked up a Cherry 93 extended cab about 3 months back. Its perfect and since then ive been looking for a Gen 1, I got P pumped 4bt that would slide right in.

Anyways, looking forward to your build, that Jeep will put down some series beef even stock with that 6bt. A little tweaking with the VE pump and maybe a larger turbo and you can push that 160 HP up around 200 HP and up the torque to the 480 range.

Jason.

#7 ·
The extended cabs are sweet I'd love to get my hands on a crew or extended one day but the funds are holding that back lol, but thanks man, and oh if only I had the money to do that right away but till then she's gonna be a bunch of cobbled together junk yard parts so far only out 1600 bucks that includes everything I need to start fabbing up mounts for 4wd and shorting up the frame

Turbocharged 93 YJ
08 Mazda 3

#8 ·
Your off to a solid start, and yes some motor Mods are always fun and costly but are not needed at this point. Get it on the road and do them slowly afterwards. You know that stock tired 6bt will make that TJ get up and move, a bunch more than a stock 4.0 could.

Jason.

#11 ·
And its matches the rest of the truck, its a Dodge D-205.

Jason.

#14 ·
Moving right along, oh don't forget you have a Gen 1 Cummins you will need to address the killer dowel pin ( KDP ) behind the front cover.

Jason.

#16 ·
Made a fair bit of progress today here are some pictures:

Preparing for the cut

After the cut

Mocked the rear axle to make measurements.

This is a Piece of the frame that I cut out to shorten the wheel base and create a jeep style frame.

Rough butt together (more grinding to be done)

Both axles were pulled from the same Gm truck housing some 4.11s.

Turbocharged 93 YJ
08 Mazda 3
2000 TJ Cummins swap build

#17 ·
14 bolt rear 10 bolt front, and try and cover up your turbo port (s). Grinding grit and cutting crap don't mix well with a turbo.

Progress looks good and your moving right along.

Jason.

#18 ·
Got em stuffed with rags usually just been spraying it with oil and yeah made some more today the frame is ready to be welded tomorrow just waiting on some rod and the jeep body is on the hoist to remove the old frame, trans, and transfer case.

Turbocharged 93 YJ
08 Mazda 3
2000 TJ Cummins swap build

#25 ·
Sick build man! That cummins is going to be a great fit in that jeep!

Id recommend pulling the top of the VE pump on that cummins and checking the gasket for debris, cracks ect..and maybe check the valve lashing. If the valves are set to stock it will quite the motor down and wont tick as much. Are you keeping the motor all stock?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.