87Warrior’s Rubi Build Sequence - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 87Warrior’s Rubi Build Sequence

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 06-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #46
d1backwoods
2010 JK Wrangler 

love this jeep. It's not stock by any means, but still has that facotry-esque look. Kuddos to you

Unread 06-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #47
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1backwoods View Post
love this jeep. It's not stock by any means, but still has that facotry-esque look. Kuddos to you
Thanks! That has been my goal all along!

Two of the last three trips I took to Colorado in this rig resulted in the rear trackbar/control arm bracket becoming separated from the axle. This isn't a lot of fun when camping on vacation. I have had a guy in Gunnison weld it, then a fellow in South Fork.

I decided enough was enough and backed the Rubicon in the garage to pull the rear axle to weld on some real brackets. I picked up the Mad4x4 TJ bracket kit several years ago to do this repair, but never got around to it. I also bought the Clayton shock relocation brackets.

I wont be needing these anymore:

Since the Mad4x4 brackets were designed for an 8.8 swap, the radii were too large to fit snugly around the D44 tubes. I had to cut a smaller radius into the brackets. Even after cutting the smaller radius into the UCA brackets, I was still able to achieve almost 8" of vertical separate between the UCA and LCA mounts. I also hacked up the trackbar mount so it would fit over the control arm mount so it would have no interference with the gas tank skid with the pinion angled up. I also media blasted and painted my old RE springs since rust had taken over.

While I had lots of room under the rear end, I FINALLY did the Rokmen fuel tank skid install. I have had this sitting on the shelf for 4+ years!!!!!! The rear cross member was all bent up so it had to be straightened. A transmission jack made the skid install a breeze even with 2/3 tank of gas....after I figured out how to disconnect the fuel line fittings.

Test fit and check for clearances:

My old JKS rear trackbar decided it was done being 'adjustable' as it was rusted together. After trying to break it free, I ended up bending the bar. Installed a Currie CE-9120RS trackbar and the Rubi back on the ground! I also ditched the RE springs for some new in box AEV LJ springs. I opted for the LJ springs since I often carry a lot of gear in the back and.pull trailers.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #48
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced the RE 3.5" rear coil springs with 110k miles on them with new Nth LJ 3" coils.

Getting it all put back together. Someday I would like to re-position the upper coil spring mount so the coils sit plumb.

The Jeep rides great and runs down the road better than it has in years. This picture was taken after I spent 3 hours on the Interstate at 75mph.

To follow up the rear suspension work, I would like to replace the front coils with Nth springs and ditch the OME shocks that have 110K miles on them with new Bilsteins.
Unread 06-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #49
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I couldn't leave well enough alone. I had to replace the front RE springs and OME shocks. It's a good deal I did, one OME shock had lost its fluid and did nothing.

I find this picture interesting. On the left we have the new 3" Nth spring followed by my old 100k mile RE 3.5" spring. The spring on the end is a Moog V8 ZJ spring.

The new coils only lifted the front 1/4".

The new front shocks are Bilstein 5150 with 10" of travel with the Bilstein stem conversion.

Everything back under the Jeep. Looks like it is about time for replacement brake lines.

And the obligatory glam shot during the test drive.

All I can say at this point is, 'WOW'. It drives like a completely different rig. I guess good shocks and springs DO make a big difference in ride quality.
Unread 08-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #50
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered and installed a new Tom Woods shaft up front. The slip joint in my 125K mile stocker was just too loose for my liking. This also cured a 60-70mph vibration I had been having.

I also fabbed together a mount for my HTC smartphone. To be used as a GPS routing tool off road AND as a video recording device. I am trying to prepare my self for a future overland trip. GPS routing is just one of those things I have never used.

I used RAM mounts to build this since they appear to be the bees-knees in vehicle accessory mounts and an extra hard shell cover for my HTC phone.
- RAM Rail Base
- RAM Short Double Socket Arm
- Ram Diamond Base
- Ballistic hard/soft phone case (I already own this case, but got another to leave the hard shell mounted in the Jeep)

I mounted the diamond base to the backside of the hard case of the phone and checked to make sure it would still clip around the soft case on the phone. Then attached it to the arm and RAM rail mount. I was disappointed with the rail mount. The mount simply uses a large hose clamp with rubber sheathing to hold unit to the rollbar. This didn't bother me but I did expect the hose clamp to be high quality. Nope this is the same cheap hose clamp you find at Autozone for less than a dollar, equipped with poorly engaging worm gear and the clamp fitting that bends once it start to get tight. I hope it is tight enough for trail use.

(Never mind the fog light relay. My multifunction switch likes to randomly turn on the fogs when parked. Needs a replacement. Another project for another day)

Ready to navigate with routes and downloaded topo data to Back Country Pro:

And it is even set up to record a day on the trail with 10+ hours of storage available:
Unread 09-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #51
20jeepster10
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great Job! glad to see that your still using and enjoying your rubicon!
love all the pictures of colorado too.
20jeepster10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #52
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, still loving thr Rubi. I did take it to the San Juans this last August.

Day 1 Corkscrew, Hurricane, California, Animas Forks

Resting at the worst smelling forest service restroom on Corkscrew

View of Lake Como at the base of Hurricane and California

Coming down California to Animas Forks. The Alpine Tundra is spectacular

The restored Bay Window House at Animas Forks

Day 2 Black Bear, Telluride and Imogene

The starting point. Cue C.W. McCall.

Stopped at a lookout partway up. We could hear sheep, but couldnt see them

The Black Bear Pass summit

Making our way down the trail towards the ever famous shelf road

At the bottom enjoying the mist of Bridal Veil Falls

After enjoying lunch in the Telluride Town Park, our journey continued up Imogene

At the Imogene Pass lookout point

Due to the soggy conditions, we skipped out on Governors and Yankee Boy this trip. The sun was shining in Silverton though! Peaceful camp.

at least for a while
Unread 09-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #53
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Day 3 Animas Forks side of Engineer, Lake City, Cinnamon

A rainy start up Engineer from Animas Forks

Looking down valley towards Animas Forks

More Alpine Tundra

Jeep wave!

Right turn a head. To the Engineer Pass summit

Rounding a bend as we approach the summit

On the Lake City side of Engineer Pass, Sheep Days were just kicking off. It was still a bit early for mutton stew so we kept on going.

Continuing down Engineer towards Lake City

Lunch, followed by a chocolate malt, at the Lake City Park

Cinnamon Pass is a real easy drive

The little rig on Cinnamon Pass. Runs as well at 12,000ft as it does at 1,100ft

Stopped at the base of Cinnamon near Animas Forks looking towards Silverton

Day 4 Silverton Ski area to Corkscrew, Ouray side of Engineer, Poughkeepsie, and Hurricane

When going down Corkscrew I saw a dreaded constipated frog KL

Starting up Poughkeepsie

Take a right to go up the wall

The wall. Little rig had no issues. Rubi was ready to winch if needed

The stock rubi did need a tug to get over the wall (slight newbie behind the wheel). Some of the fun lines past the wall

The end of Poughkeepsie at Lake Como

Heading up Hurricane

Day 5 - Stony Pass, Pole Creek, then drive to Woodland Park, CO-Home

Starting up the pass, more Alpine tundra

Overlooking the Creede side of the Stony Pass summit

Crossing Pole Creek, headwaters to the Rio Grande

Starting back up the pass from Pole Creek

Dropping back down towards Silverton

Passing some fellow Jeepers on Highway 50 headed towards Gunnison

The sign I always look forward to after having been on the road for 12 hours. The heavily soiled windshield and the good old Jeep Road sign outside of Abilene, KS means I am almost home.
Unread 09-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #54
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a few videos I shot out there.

Going up the Black Bear Pass waterfall obstacle

Going down the Black Bear Pass switchbacks

The Poughkeepsie Wall

And a quick drive from Ouray to Silverton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.