87Warrior’s Rubi Build Sequence - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 87Warrior’s Rubi Build Sequence

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #31
BrandNew
2004 TJ Wrangler 

do you have any complaints about your top?

Unread 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #32
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNew View Post
do you have any complaints about your top?
I have no complaints with the Viking top, only how the bestop header fits. My top is the original style Viking with glued seams. I fixed a seam that was pulling apart with gorilla glue and magnets.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #33
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

After 2-3 years of "nothing exciting" happening to my Rubi, I decided to start giving it some love while the Comanche is at the body shop.

The list of stuff to be done:
1. Remove stock steering, brakes, knuckles and axle shafts
2. Remove ball joints and install new ball joints
3. Install axle tube seals
4. Install new Axle Shafts
5. Install 16" Vanco Brake kit and knuckles
6. Install U turn steering system I picked up from Phillip
7. Replace heim joint on RE ATB

It came apart slowly, yet easily, even pressing out the ball joints. Installing the new ball joints was uneventful just a slow and tedious job. I clean the axle tubes out and push on the seals. I notice one of the zerks look cracked and sure enough it was. Luckily the axle going into the MJ has the same seals so I stole a good zerk and installed it. While I was dealing with Zerks I figure I should install them in the new ball joints. Straight forward and simple, right? 1, 2,3 go in... The the passenger side lower, #4, decides to play hard ball...and SNAP. The head of the zerk breaks off leaving the threads in the joint. 6 hours later the threads come out. It looks like the wrong zerk was sent with that ball joint and was too long allowing it to bottom out.

Tired of looking at the pasenger side I decide to start on the driver side brakes. Knuckle goes on, shaft goes in, unit bearing is ground down, rotor/caliper bracket/ caliper goes on, then I go to attach the brake line. Won't fit, the end of the Jeep line is a bit different than the Ford caliper. Massage the end and get it to fit. Torque the U-turn driver side bracket and attach the rod end at the Pitman arm.

Vanco Brakes installed:

And the U-turn:

New radiator arrived!

Just by holding the unit and looking it over, it is clearly a very well constructed piece of art work. Almost a shame it will go in my Jeep....almost

Then I installed the 2 row Griffin Radiator. This was surprisingly easy. The fan shroud required a hole to be drilled on the top driver side, about 1" up. Luckily, I already had this hole drilled.

Unread 08-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #34
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just got back from a week long Jeepin' trip in Colorado. The Jeep drove 12 hours, ran 600 miles of trails, then drove 12 more hours back home! The brakes worked great, the U-Turn performs much better than the stock inverted y, the Currie front track bar was quiet, the Griffin radiator kept it at 210 all day and the Moog Ball joints kept it going straight.

I did manage to sheer off the rear UCA/Trackbar bracket on Tincup Pass. Limped it down the mountain and hauled into Gunnison for a local welder to repair. Now I am seriously considering a 4 link long arm upgrade. The research begins!
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #35
honda250ex
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
Just got back from a week long Jeepin' trip in Colorado. The Jeep drove 12 hours, ran 600 miles of trails, then drove 12 more hours back home! The brakes worked great, the U-Turn performs much better than the stock inverted y, the Currie front track bar was quiet, the Griffin radiator kept it at 210 all day and the Moog Ball joints kept it going straight.

I did manage to sheer off the rear UCA/Trackbar bracket on Tincup Pass. Limped it down the mountain and hauled into Gunnison for a local welder to repair. Now I am seriously considering a 4 link long arm upgrade. The research begins!
Good to hear the jeep ran good during the trip, you have any more pictures from you're trip?
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #36
tlgraham
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Beautiful. That sits almost exactly how I want my Jeep to look. I've ridden over Tincup Pass and it is the trail that convinced me to buy a Wrangler.

Also, Greetings from the OP.
tlgraham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #37
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda250ex View Post
Good to hear the jeep ran good during the trip, you have any more pictures from you're trip?
We have over 1000 total pics.... Here are the few I have online:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lorado%202011/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
Beautiful. That sits almost exactly how I want my Jeep to look. I've ridden over Tincup Pass and it is the trail that convinced me to buy a Wrangler.

Also, Greetings from the OP.
Thanks Good to hear other Midwesterner's are getting to experience the Taylor Park area.
Unread 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #38
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I'm debating getting some coopers. How's the durability been ? I will use them mainly off-road.
Unread 02-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #39
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Hey I'm debating getting some coopers. How's the durability been ? I will use them mainly off-road.
I've got to say they have been pretty good. I have only had one flat and that was caused by a nail while exploring mines. They are a much more well rounded tire than the old MTRs they replaced. I have no complaints. Although maybe not important to you, I now have 35k miles on the tires and they are about 1/2 tread. Good mileage results for an aggressive tire.

Since my build was bumped up, I feel obliged to post a current picture with our unseasonably warm weather:

I also have 90k miles on my OME shocks. They have been through hell and two of them have started leaking. So I have been buying shocks for the rig:

Front (going to weld on the Ford towers for clearance)

Rear (until I can find a rear shock tower solution I like):

I have a Rokmen gas tank skid and some Rockhard rear spreader bars that need installed as well.
Unread 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #40
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Why not rear ford towers?
Unread 02-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #41
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Why not rear ford towers?
Would require out boarding the rear. I may go that route, but I have not made up my mind yet
Unread 02-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #42
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Would require out boarding the rear. I may go that route, but I have not made up my mind yet
Do it. I helped a buddy a few months back. You don't have to chop the frame like some people do. It's just so much cleaner that way.
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #43
J3PH3RY_J33P
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I've got to say they have been pretty good. I have only had one flat and that was caused by a nail while exploring mines. They are a much more well rounded tire than the old MTRs they replaced. I have no complaints. Although maybe not important to you, I now have 35k miles on the tires and they are about 1/2 tread. Good mileage results for an aggressive tire.
Howdy. Obviously, I have arrived at the party ( your thread) late , but that makes it no less exciting & informative; really like your Rubi!
I noticed the post about your views on the Cooper STTs dated Feb of last year and , since I'm about to throw down some hard-earned & saved cash on 16" wheels and the same size Coopers for my JK, I was hoping to get a status update a year after the last post. Still running these? I am encouraged by the mileage you're getting and they seem most capable for a DD/ medium offroad rig like I'm building. Tread still good after 40+ thousand miles? how do they handle rocks and what PSI you run in various terrain with them ? thanks a bunch!
J3PH3RY_J33P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #44
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Still running the STTs! Haven't racked up many more miles since I have a 4 banger MJ as my DD. But I did drive it 16 hours to and 16 from Ouray, CO. The STTs are still pretty quiet and still do great in the rocks.

I usually run the tires at 12psi for the trails and 28psi on the road. This seems to work well for me.

It has been awhile since my last update. I haven't had to do much to the ol' Jeep since it has been running fine and nothing has broke.

Sometime last summer my lockers decided they didn't always want to work. I could usually get them to lock the first time I tried while wheeling, but after that pressing the axle lock button did nothing. After probing the entire locker system with a multimeter I could not locate the problem. I suspect it may be related to a cluster bus code that has been pending for over a year now that I have not been able to isolate either.

Enter, the locker bypass mod. I used the second method mentioned here:
http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mods/T...ker_Defeat.htm

I located a junk piece of XJ wiring harness that had a matching set of plugs. Ran the wires through the dash leaving a plug terminal near the airbag module. I then wired switches in the console to operate the lockers. I have front and rear locker switches behind the shifter and a system interrupt in front of the t-case lever which is a pull-on switch. Since nobody wants to accidentally lock an axle at 70 mph I wanted the option to 'turn off' the bypass.

Wiring all completed indoors:

The piece of harness I used had more wires in it than I needed. I left pigtails for possible future needs in the console.

Installed:

To splice into the locker harness plug, I simply un-clipped the plug wire retainer from the back of the plug, inserted the proper wire for each locker and re-clipped the retainer. I did not ground the bypass back to the plug, but I did a chassis ground near the shifter.

With the interrupt switch pulled on, I can lock either axle whenever I desire. I should have done this long ago
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #45
J3PH3RY_J33P
2011 JK Wrangler 

that is the ingenuity that drives men to conquer and Jeeps to perfection; thanks for takin the time to gimme the STT data I need to tell DesertRat to ship me some and get these gawsh-arful stock 18" sahara rims offa my poor JK! I learn much from your posts; keep 'em comin and Jeep On!
J3PH3RY_J33P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.