87 YJ build (slow) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 87 YJ build (slow)

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
ufvj217

87 YJ build (slow)

So i have been posting pics in the thread that i started when I couldn't decide what motor etc i wanted. well i figured i'd start a dedicated build thread to keep everything organized.

picked this up on Saturday. 1987 YJ, mostly stock except the radio, and the console/soundbar (i think).

4.2L, 5spd, motorcraft carb, 80k original miles. interior is damn near perfect.

Plans: 33x12.50x15 (have 3 in mind, Duratrac's, cooper stt, and bfg a/t) leaning towards the duratracs.

lift: not sure yet.

driving home the day i got it.

ufvj217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
ufvj217

a few under carriage shots. could use a little TLC. considering down the road taking the body off and cleaning up and repairing anything under there.

Unread 06-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
ufvj217

doors were a challenge to get off, finally got them off though after some fighting.

going to look awesome with a small lift and 33s...cant wait!!!!!!!!

Unread 06-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
ufvj217

just gutted the carpet today. little rust on the drivers side, everything else is pretty much good.

i really liked the carpet, however i threw away the nasty stock carpet. i plan on putting new black carpet in (the stock was sorta dark gray/charcoal). this isn't a daily and i will not be mudding in this thing, its just a weekend/beach cruiser. it likely wont even get driven in hard rain either and will be in the garage. so my plans are to repair the rust up front (not completely through the body, hopefully it didn't eat away too much) and then bed line the whole tub. if i like how it looks, i MAY leave it. im sure i will like how it looks, because i've seen plenty other wranglers with bed lined tubs, but for some reason i just really like the carpet. im very picky with having a clean interior, and the carpet to me makes it look and feel more comforting, and since i wont be getting any water or mud in it, thats why im opting to keep it. i know it's not for everyone though.

Unread 07-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
ufvj217

So I made some room in the garage so I can work on the jeep.

Started by removing the soft top including the hardware and folding down the windshield. The gaskets need replacing because it was leaking, and im going to remove the dash and replace the speakers, cluster lights, and dye a few faded pieces.

So I went through 3 bestop bikini tops. The first was tan and I didn't like the color..didn't match spice.

Then I got a black one but I didn't like the vinyl.

So I finally went with black denim although its a strapless one, it'll do. No pics of that.

This cracked when I put the glass back up lol.

Plans are to fix that slight rust on the floor and prep it for new carpet. I decided I want carpet since my jeep is just a weekend street cruiser. Itll otherwise be garaged and not driven when it rains.

Hopefully I can start the exterior after all this too, plan is jeep spice monstaliner, black denim softdoors, 15x8 2.5bs black rims on 33 duratracs, and like a 2.5 lift.

Also want to find some cavalier seats and install those.
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, that thing is in great shape for an '87. I kind of wish I had held out for a nice clean unmolested one. I think you will find you like the Monstaliner, but I can understand the carpet in there as well, I think it would be a fine choice for the use you plan. Where you get in trouble is getting water and mud inside, and you're back to some nasty stinky carpet.

Incidentally, I have a hard top just up the road from you, if you're thinking about using one for the cooler months. Just PM me if you're interested.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
ufvj217

Thanks! !!

I do actually want a hard top. Pm me a few pics and a price if you have a minute. I actually bought the jeep in crystal river. ..bout an hr and some change from my house in tampa though.

And yea I do like the monstaliner, we just did my cousins tj tub last weekend in desert sand. Came out awesome.

I just plan on it never getting wet and I think for the route I'm going, carpet will look better.
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
ufvj217

later down the road i want to remove the body and clean up the frame with some chassis saver paint, etc. are all the body mounts unbolted from inside the tub?
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #9
ufvj217

Haven't done much other than drive it. It's actually been sitting in the garage since my last post since it's pretty much been raining every day. There is 2 bolts on the roll bar I can't break loose that I'm gonna have to drill out or weld another bolt to it and try to loosen it that way. Wanna get the floor coated and carpet back in soon. But the last couple days I've taken her out when it's clear just to keep it running. I love driving around with the windshield down lol.

Unread 07-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
TABonifacio
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It looks really nice. This YJ really does look unmolested. It's unusual to see a YJ that is this old in this great of shape. Best of luck to you!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/95-xj-se-1513890/
TABonifacio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
ufvj217

Thanks. Yea I looked at quite a few before I bought this one. Specifically wanted a factory yj to start with.
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
ufvj217

Haven't done much, been raining a lot so I really haven't even driven it.

Picked up some cavalier seats. I like the look of the stock seats I have but comfort wise they don't cut it. These cavalier seats will be wrapped in either a spice or black tweed as well as the rear bench.

Unread 08-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
ufvj217

Finally got these bolts out!!

Trying to decide what to do after I get the floor cleaned up. Definitely want black carpet. Trying to decide if i should Bedliner it just for a protective coating or just roll on rustoleum or por15?

If I do Bedliner id probably do herculiner or something I can get locally. The exterior will be monstaliner.
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
ufvj217

Well the other hinge just broke when I tried putting the windshield up. Lmao

Unread 09-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thats a pretty clean jeep

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.