87 xj Rubicon ready in 2 years? Hopefully! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 87 xj Rubicon ready in 2 years? Hopefully!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Nik-Nak

1987 XJ Cherokee 

87 xj Rubicon ready in 2 years? Hopefully!

So I am adding this now over 2 years later! LOL! This has been way more expensive than what I thought it would be and I dont have a money tree! My plans when I started this were to refresh the motor and get a lift and bolt on some tires. Newby thoughts at the time! As I have been working on my jeep and reading jeepforum, cherokeeforum, naxja, I have learned that A lot goes into this! I have spent a lot of time and money the first two years just getting the drive train reliable. Now that I have that completed time to spend some money on it to make it trail worthy!

Whats Done
Rebuilt 1990 renix 4.0 bored .30 over
Rebuilt AW4 by Jaspers
Countless dollars spent on diagnosing no start issues, random dieing issues
Replaced just about every sensor a renix era Cherokee has
3 1/2 inch Tuff Country Lift with new leafs
JCR DIY front bumper and Super winch
Rustys Oil pan and transfer case skid plates
Hack and tap SYE on Np242 Transfer case

Future plans
Build the HpD30 / D44 for 33" or 35" tires
Buy some 33" or 35" tires-Cant Wait!!!
Rear quarter armor
Rear bumper
Some sort of rock rails- cant decide to build or buy
On board air
Cb

This is my Daily Driver!

My best friend took me with him this year to the Rubicon trail! What an experience. I have a couple of jeeps so its time to start building! Hope to have my XJ ready by 2013! Wish me luck!

First things first; pull a motor and start the overhaul!

I have a choice between an NP231 or an NP242 transfer case; Still undecided on wich one to use.

Here are a few pics of the engine pull!

phone-935.jpg   phone-1007.jpg   phone-1020.jpg  

Last edited by Nik-Nak; 12-17-2013 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Add some more specs for interest and see if people might read my thread!
Nik-Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet dude! I can't wait to see how it goes. After a little reading i'd say to for the NP231. Are both transmissions the same?
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Nik-Nak

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Got the motor broke down and I should be getting it off to get overhauled by the end of this week! Its dirty! Found a SYE for my np231 and will start in on that real soon!
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey dude, some random thoughts I had.

Can you list info on the two XJ's you are working with? Do they have the same transmission? I'm not sure if you will have to do any computer work? Maybe someone will know and post up some info.

They both should have a High Pinion front axle. You should be able to save the shafts from the extra axle for spares. You could sell the extra housing for 80-100 around here.

Are both rear axles D44's? I know the XJs also had 8.25, and D35 rears. If they are the same you could have a set of spare shafts also. And a housing or whole axle to sell down the road.
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Some of the parts we have talked about.

Front end-
Lower Control arms (2) http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product.sc?productId=17&categoryId=2
Upper Control arms (2) http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product.sc?productId=18&categoryId=2
Springs
Longer brake lines
Swaybar disconnects
Front bump stops http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product.sc?productId=22&categoryId=2
Adjustable Front track bar http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product.sc?productId=78&categoryId=2
ZJ Tie Rod

Some extras that would be great
Upper JJ housing kit http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product.sc?productId=16&categoryId=2
Lower arm brackets
D30 inner sleeve
Aussie locker?
Need to check the ball joints and unit bearings
Rear end-
Leaf springs
SYE kit

Shorten, balance , and rebuild your extra driveshaft

Rear locker?
Currie's Johnny Joints are the ****. With the upper housing, making JJ's all around the front you almost eliminate any chance of death wobble. Your front will feel solid, and flex great.

Everything at Savvy is 10% off also. If you bought a bunch at once that would be more off. Or you could buy as you could and swap in stuff like the arms over time then adjust them when you lift with the springs.
Unread 10-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Nik-Nak

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Finally got the motor broke down and ready to be sent to the machine shop and get all the brackets, oil pan, valve cover cleaned! Here are a few pics of the 4 door 87 XJ I am going to build. Have to get some "stock" pics in here so we can see the progress!!!!

Also a picture of the tag on my rear end letting me know it is a Dana 44! Pretty lucky considering I bought the jeep for $200.00 Bones!

I got the other jeep for $200.00 bucks as well. Going to find out what the rear is on it--Hopefully a Dana 44 as well so i can hace some spair parts
jeepoverhaul10-20116.jpg   jeepoverhaul10-20115.jpg   jeepoverhaul10-20113.jpg  
Unread 10-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Nik-Nak

1987 XJ Cherokee 

This uploading pictures thing is a pain in the A#@!!

Here are a couple more!
jeep-overhaul-10-2011-2-.jpg   jeep-overhaul-10-2011-7-.jpg  
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Nik-Nak

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Started trimming on the fenders. Started with the front!

Here is the front before......

And After....

Looks better already!
fender-cutting-011.jpg   fender-cutting-022.jpg   fendercutting024.jpg  
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Nik-Nak

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Hopefully have some pics posted of the rear quarter panel cuts soon! These are fun! I like the welding and cutting!
Unread 11-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
Nik-Nak

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Strated Cuttingon the rear quarters. Got the passenger side cut out and the fill piece welded in. Hopefully i will het the Drivers side done on Friday! Then Seam seal and undercoat and another task done......of MANY!!!!

Here are a few pictures of the before and after. Just welded in the fill piece today and got it primered but did not take any pics.
rear-fender-cut-002.jpg   rear-fender-cut-007.jpg   rear-fender-cut-009.jpg   rear-fender-cut-012.jpg   rear-fender-cut-014.jpg  

Unread 11-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
Nik-Nak

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Test Test!
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik-Nak
Test Test!
Testys Testys 1, 2, 3?
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
Nik-Nak

1987 XJ Cherokee 

LOL! I was seeing if i had figured out how to get my Build thread posted each time I make a comment.
Unread 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dude... Screw it.. Do this- http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507763

I didn't see much around for doing a tummy tuck, with out hacking into the unibody.
Unread 11-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
Nik-Nak

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Holy cow that would be sick! If I did not need it roght now for a daily driver I would so do that! Maybe in the future!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.