'87 diesel YJ, just for the fun of it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > '87 diesel YJ, just for the fun of it

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFree Shipping on Soft ShacklesNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 04-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

'87 diesel YJ, just for the fun of it (Mr. Magoo)

1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Mazda 'Perkins' 2.2L diesel
BA10/5 transmission
NP207 transfer case ??? (this would be the stock option)
Stock axles with 4.10 gears
Bikini top
No doors

Mileage at beginning of ownership: 150,842.0

According to a VIN search / decoder:
Country of Manufacture Canada
Manufacturer Jeep Canada
Vehicle Type Multi-Purpose Vehicle
Engine 4.2L, Six, 2-B Carb
Powertrain 5-speed manual, floor gear shift, part time 4 W/D
Body Type Jeep Wrangler, 2-Door Open Body, 93.5 inch wheel base
Gross Vehicle Weight Wrangler Base / Cherokee Base= 3001- 4000 lbs
Assembly Plant Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Model Year 1987

Pictures from day one

The initial reasoning for the purchase of this Jeep is so that I can have something fun to drive while I'm rebuilding my 1980 CJ5.

Do you wave at night when they can't see you?

Last edited by EgulAye; 04-20-2015 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Added information / VIN decode
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

150,857.6 - 2015/04/08

150,857.6 - 2015/04/08

Day one:

The first thing I did after getting the YJ home is test a free TJ soft top that a co-worker and fellow Jeep enthusiast gave to me. It doesn't immediately look like the top will work. The windshield attachment is different and my tub doesn't have the mounting rails on it. I don't see that the roll bars over the door openings have the proper holes for the door frames either. I'm not sure if this top can be adapted to the YJ easily or not. edit I did find some parts at Quadratec's site: corner belt rail kit & retainer belt rail kit. edit

The heater blower does not come on with the switch, which was a bit of an issue for the drive home tonight. Bikini top and full doors flapping in the breeze (held shut with bungee cords) with outside temperatures below freezing. It started snowing just after arriving at home, hopefully the last snow of the season.

I looked at the fuse box first and found that the fuse is good, but loose in the socket. Upon closer inspection one of the connections has a broken tab. I'll need to pull the fuse box out and replace the terminal connector there. For the moment I bent the prongs a bit to make better contact with the fuse. Presto! The blower fan comes on now.

I've sent emails to follow up on several craigslist postings for hard tops, soft tops, and doors.

I also pumped diesel fuel for the first time in my life tonight. The first fillup was 16.139 gallons. I wonder what size the tank is...

Last edited by EgulAye; 04-08-2015 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Added photo and links to parts.
Unread 04-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Boy that frame sure looks pretty. Unusual swap choice but I love a good diesel, N/A? How's the pep? I'd bet that fan doesn't do much more than make noise, might wanna look for a 4 cyl shroud and an electric to increase effectiveness.
Unread 04-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel442 View Post
Boy that frame sure looks pretty. Unusual swap choice but I love a good diesel, N/A? How's the pep? I'd bet that fan doesn't do much more than make noise, might wanna look for a 4 cyl shroud and an electric to increase effectiveness.
Yep, the frame, axles, cross-member, steering components, etc have all been cleaned and treated with POR-15.

So far, with my extremely limited knowledge and experience (mostly word of mouth from the PO), the diesel runs too cool anyway and he was considering an electric fan that he could leave shut off most of the time or use with a high degree temp sensor. I won't know for a bit if this is the case or not.

It is indeed naturally aspirated. What little I've read suggests that a max of about 4psi of boost is possible before various gaskets and seals start to give out. With the gearing it has first gear is almost a creeper speed. Plenty of pep in first through third gears, but on a long uphill fourth starts to bog down. I was only able to use fifth gear on some down hill slopes tonight.

Unread 04-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

150,949.5 - 2015/04/10

150,949.5 - 2015/04/10

This morning I registered the Jeep and drove it to work. No issues, Jeep ran great. It was about 40°F and raining but the bikini top and soft doors (with bungee cords) kept the rain out.

I discovered that the windshield leaks pretty badly. Water was coming through the dash onto the floor all over the place. Windshield hinge gasket? Glass seal? I'll need to investigate and correct this issue.

A few of my co-workers are Jeep or auto enthusiasts and they came out to look at the diesel jeep. When I fired it up the alternator belt was visibly slack and slapping. I shut him down and lo and behold the belt was falling apart. I dug out the few tools I'd brought with me and borrowed a wrench from the company tool kit. The belt snugged up a bit to the point it seemed like enough.

There was also an obvious oil leak developing below the alternator where the bypass filter is. I didn't see any obvious hose or connection failures and the engine was less than half a quart low so I mentally filed that away for later investigation.

When I got home tonight the oil was everywhere. What a mess! I tried to wipe most of it up and sprayed a little engine degreaser as well. NOTE: the engine degreaser softens the POR-15 - don't use again...

The only issue I could find is one hose clamp on the bypass line to the filter wouldn't stay tight. With a new clamp on there and the hose shortened 1/2" the connection doesn't visibly look any better. I'll take it to the car wash in the morning and try to remove most of the oil mess. This might make it easier to locate the leak and will certainly make it cleaner to work on.

I picked up a new alternator belt from NAPA this evening. Part number 25-9447, 31/64" x 44-7/8" or 12.5/13mm x 1140mm. The old belt was W BANDO FAN BELT A-43. The new belt seems a bit longer than the old one but there is plenty more adjustment to the alternator so I installed it. Note that there are two pivot bolts below the alternator due to the vacuum / oil pump on the rear. Forgetting this will make it hard to adjust the belt tension.

The power steering belt must be removed in order to replace the alternator belt. The power steering pump is an aftermarket add on with a custom fabricated bracket. The bracket is nicely made from 1/4" steel plates, 1/4" wall thickness tube, and 1/2" plate. The bracket is bolted to the block and then there are two plates bolted to the power steering pump. These create a pivot point and a sliding bracket for adjusting belt tension. However, with the adjusting bolts loosened the pump doesn't' release far enough to remove the belt. The pump needs to be removed to accomplish this. This seems to be due to interference between the pump plates and a mounting bolt for the bracket. I cut a corner off of the front plate so that it more closely matches the shape of the rear plate and painted the cut edges. I also elongated the slot in the adjuster bar about 1/4" into the slight S bend near the pivot hole. It's not going to create an issue with needing to tighten the bolt over this angled portion, the adjustment this far is only for ease of belt removal. I re-assembled all of these pieces and was able to install the power steering belt by hand. Success!

With the belts back on and the oil somewhat cleaned up my work is done for the evening. I also picked up a 12 volt power adapter (cigar lighter) from NAPA to install under the dash. I may examine my two parts jeeps for a real cigar lighter but wanted something that I could install easily this weekend. I'm hoping to head out to Boothbay with Mr. Magoo to search for a hard top, soft top, doors, and possibly seats. If I'm going to daily drive this thing I'll need shelter from the elements at times.

Top down view of the alternator and oil spill below

View of the front axle and the oil mess

Bypass oil filter, offset mounting bracket, engine mount in background

Back of alternator - vacuum pump and oiler hoses

Front of bypass filter mounting bracket, engine block to right

Power steering bracket to be modified, as it mounts to pump

Power steering bracket to be modified, face view

Modified plate back on pump

Power steering pump re-installed

Last edited by EgulAye; 04-12-2015 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Added photos
Unread 04-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

150,950._ - 2015/04/11

150,950._ - 2015/04/11

This morning I drove the Jeep to the local car wash and used the high pressure soap option to clean as much of the oil out of the engine bay and drive train as possible. Its also close to the hardware store and auto parts store so I picked up a few tubes of clear silicone for the windshield and talked with the proprietor of the auto parts store about my Jeep and the diesel engine. He is also a Jeep enthusiast and thought this would be a pretty cool project. However, he didn't have much in the way of parts for me (not that I know what I need yet except a book of some type).

I mentioned to him that my wife and I were headed to MA to pick up her new JK Unlimited today (2012 sport) and he offered me a soft top that's only seen about a year of use. All we'd need is to buy door surrounds for it. Those would run us about $300 or less so its bound to be a pretty good deal. All the other hardware would be included with the top.

I don't know if I'll start a thread for the wife's JK or not. Its a 2012 with 70,000 miles - she looks almost new and we hopefully will not be doing anything to it for quite some time. The trip down and back took us about ten hours by the time it was all said and done, which pretty much wraps up the day.

I was able to get out to the garage tonight and work on the YJ though. I had the bright idea to start it up and look around with a mechanic's mirror and the drop light to search for the oil leak. I'd already narrowed it down to a small area below the alternator where the bypass filter is located. Sure enough I could see a small steady stream of oil running down the side of the filter. Following the trail up it looked like it was coming out of the side of the block behind the mounting bracket for the filter.

I shut her down and proceeded to take the alternator, bypass filter, and its mounting bracket off. What I discovered is that the lower alternator bracket mounting bolt was missing and it goes through the block so that you can see the innards through that hole. Apparently the diesel engine vibrations can shake bolts loose - go figure. Ta Da ! I love it when I find the source of a problem and its guaranteed to be the issue and a correctable one to boot.

It took a bit of scrounging but I managed to find a bolt with the right diameter and thread pitch to fit the bill. It also had the correct length and was grade 8. I used a bit of gear oil resistant gasket maker to seal the bolt up and everything is back together now.

I'm planning to head out to Boothbay tomorrow to look at a hard top, a soft top, some doors, and possibly seats for the YJ.

Here's the bolt hole with the bolt missing, with a scope I could see inside the engine

View of engine bay on passenger side

Rear of alternator / vacuum pump, new bolt in lower left of frame

Top down view of engine from passenger side

Video to show where missing bolt is located, use lock washers on everything when you run a diesel!
Photobucket video

Last edited by EgulAye; 04-12-2015 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Added photos
Unread 04-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

way cool conversion!
Unread 04-12-2015, 04:27 AM   #8
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a cool project. And yes, that frame looks good. I am curious to know the gas mileage being naturally aspirated. Depending upon RPMs you should get really good mileage. If you dont mind me asking, what was the price of the jeep?
contdevelop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

2015/04/12

2015/04/12

Today I worked with my younger son to get an aux power port installed under the dash. We topped off the oil after yesterday's repair. We also took the back seat out and packed a small toolbox for a short road trip. We headed out to Boothbay for the afternoon to look at a hard top and some other stuff.

Quick power port

Last edited by EgulAye; 04-12-2015 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Added photos
Unread 04-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #10
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Dunno Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
Looks like a cool project. And yes, that frame looks good. I am curious to know the gas mileage being naturally aspirated. Depending upon RPMs you should get really good mileage. If you dont mind me asking, what was the price of the jeep?
I picked the Jeep up last Wednesday evening, 30 minute drive home. I drove it to work Friday, two hours or so of driving time. Today we rode out to Boothbay and back, about four hours of driving. The tank looks to be somewhere between half and three quarters. (the needle bounces a bit)

Eventually I'll use enough fuel to warrant a fill-up - then I'll have some idea what kind of mileage he gets.

Unread 04-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #11
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

how does it feel for power and acceleration?
contdevelop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

2015/04/12

2015/04/12
The guy selling the stuff used to have two YJ's but one of them hit a tree, which messed it up pretty good. He's done playing with Jeeps he says and all the parts must go.

Scenic photos

So, we're discussing various Jeepish things and the seller is talking me in to taking more of his stuff. He walks around my YJ and says "boy do I have a treat for you". He goes to a large cardboard box that is taped shut and says "this is a front driver side fender, new in the box, never opened". Sure enough, the one piece of bent body work on my Jeep is exactly the one new piece of body he has. Outstanding!

One good hard half-door

One not so good

Lots of dash related bezel pieces, all in black (mine are tan)

stainless rear diff cover, tachometer, windshield wiper motor

Half door top skins, mounting hoops not shown

Soft top

Set of four Quadratech slush mats

Speedometer, horn

Soft top mounting hardware, including tub rails

Tailgate

Oh yeah, and a hard top - the reason I went

Not photod are:
Grill inserts
gauge cluster
headlight switch
two front fender flares (two pieces each)
one rear fender flare
two hard half door striker mounts w/ hardware
mounting hardware for both tops
chromed and flame throwing rear view mirror
and I think I've forgotten some stuff

The seller was asking $400 for the hard top in a previous listing, I was thinking that's fair and maybe a couple hundred more for the soft top. I had $600 cash with me. He gave me everything for that $600 and was glad to have it gone. I feel like he's passed a baton of jeepdom on to me. He was a YJ owner but is now done. I'm a new YJ owner and I've got his stash of parts.

Oh yeah, a set of gaskets for my 258 straigh six for the CJ5 too.
(and I'm sure I've still forgotten stuff)

Last edited by EgulAye; 04-12-2015 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Unread 04-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #13
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
how does it feel for power and acceleration?
Mr. Magoo is generally under powered. On long or steep uphill climbs I downshift a fair bit, losing speed all the way. On the other hand, fifth gear is so high that I have seldom had a chance to use it - only straightaways and down hills above 55.

I don't take the highway to work, its mostly 45 mph country roads. I don't need to drive fast so this wasn't a concern for me. I am enjoying the amount of power and definitely liking the diesel so far. After a bit more driving I should have the kinks worked out and also have some idea what type of fuel economy I'm getting.

I'll be sure to post more on that later.

Unread 04-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #14
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice yj, I like the little diesel in it, good score on the parts, up here in Canada, or at least Ontario you can hardly give hard tops away let alone sell one

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #15
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86 View Post
nice yj, I like the little diesel in it, good score on the parts, up here in Canada, or at least Ontario you can hardly give hard tops away let alone sell one
Do you get a lot of lake effect snow? I think I'm technically further north than you are, but that doesn't mean its colder or snowier here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.