86 XJ w/MPI budget (re)build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 86 XJ w/MPI budget (re)build

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

86 XJ w/MPI budget (re)build

I hope you all are interested, I've been trying to get some response and help elsewhere but this seems like a good place to post up my original plan and how things have progressed.

Background: Got my 86 2.5TBI 5spd Cherokee when I was sixteen, after totaling my 97 Dak. The jeep ran great and had cold blowing A/C, but things went downhill quickly... I'm basically a broke pre-college student, minimum wage trying to gather parts, so bear with me please!

First mod: Junkyard lift! (most of these are crappy cell phone pics, sorry... I'll replace them with real ones soon!)

Front lift: Approx 4" (had a nice little gangster lean, get to that later)

Rear lift: Approx 3.5"

I apologize for the random sizing and such, I was barely seventeen and just learning how to get my intarwebz pics working!

My process was as follows;

ZJ V8 springs front w/1.25" spacers replacing my old isolators. That's about 3.5" with the coils alone.

Rear XJ pack (main and second leaves) bastardized into mine for 3.5"

I couldn't find a cheap shock solution at the time, and my stock shocks were okay, but last year I found JK shocks for $50 bucks, so I put them on and made BPE's for the rear with my stock rear sway bar brackets.

I wanted tires but I've never had a consistent job to pay for them and my parents haven't supported me much the whole way...

Until late summer '08 I beat the living crap out of the thing to try and finish off the old TBI system, and in the mean time started gathering parts and researching for an MPI conversion. The system never got worse, but the engine decided to blow its' #2 cylinder rings... on to the next stage!

Tear down! (still more cell pics)

This thing was DIRTY!

Old trash:

New stuff:

... I'm getting there! Got it started today, but only after rigging up the starter, something is wrong with that circuit and I need to do some rewiring... But other than that the idle immediately shoots WAY up and stays there, I think my IAC is seized, it's one of the few electrical things not brand new...

Jerry-rigged, semi-working order (finally real camera pics):

Custom cable-to-electronic pass-through adapter from dakota digital (made for GM transmissions, but should work), it's half-wired up too, haha:

... and that's it for progress, I'll get pics up of the free 15x8 eagle alloy rims I got, hopefully with some new rubber mounted to it... planning 31's, finally got some money from a consistent but low paying job. I also obtained a rusty's adjustable TB, but no bracket, so I'll have to purchase that to solve a small (.5") lean I have from the axle being offset. I'm gonna install some chevy 3/4ton shackles in the rear to even it out, then probably go DB's to improve ride/flex, but all of this is going to be fairly slow to happen.

I need you guys to help me figure out the idle problem though... Is the likely culprit the IAC? I don't want to start throwing money/parts at anything yet! I want it running/drivable this week... it's been down for 5 months now!

Thanks for reading this far! Please post with feedback/criticism/help, I still have plenty of other small plans for it, so if you have questions please ask!

Oh yeah, and I'm only almost 19 now, trying to get this thing working and reliable for college this fall (I took a year hiatus from school).

I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????
Jeepus buildicus:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/86-xj-w-mpi-budget-re-build-757079/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Using pure N2 is a total waste of money considering you can get 78% nitrogen for free.

Last edited by Mr_Random; 04-20-2009 at 01:30 AM..
Mr_Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Drove for the first time since tear down in early december! 4/20/2009!

Nearly NOTHING is hooked up, no evap system, no CCV, no blower motor, no heater, no washers, no fuel gauge, no vac disco, no vaccuum canister, and a whole bunch of things need to be secured properly...

But I figured out that the high idle was from a massive vaccuum leak at the manifold gasket, just needed to torque down the nuts/spacers.

The starter problem was a lack of ground to the starter relay, we just jumpered the wire to a ground with alligator clips and it started with its' own relay this time!

As for how it feels to drive it now; definately more power than before, but I know I still have alot to do before it feels as nice as I want, there are various holes and leaks past the muffler, I'll have those welded up for now.

I'll update with pics of new tires and everything when it all happens.

I think I'll just blog this or something, no one is responding anyways.
I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????
Jeepus buildicus:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757079

Quote:
Using pure N2 is a total waste of money considering you can get 78% nitrogen for free.
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
WranglerRush
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you are doing a great job with the build. Keep up the good work. Good looking XJ by the way. It'll look great with some new tires.
Unread 04-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerRush View Post
Looks like you are doing a great job with the build. Keep up the good work. Good looking XJ by the way. It'll look great with some new tires.
Haha, wish it was good looking! I'm going to remove the pin stripe, paint the hood black, then bedline the entire front fenders and the lower half (below door handles) from the fenders back, as well as trim the both front and rear fenders. I foresee four wrangler flares in the future if arizona decides to step up on the "flare" rule.

Twenty three years of heat practically fused the lower trim to the paint, so when I removed it alot came with, on top of that I picked a fight with a hidden fence post and gouged my front fender real good, so I figure I might as well bedline the whole lower half.

Believe me I am incredibly excited that I pulled this off! I spliced three completely different year/vehicle (86 XJ, 94 YJ, 97 XJ) wiring looms together and managed to get it running, all with NO prior vehicular control system knowledge! Props to my dad and my electronics/engineering/physics teacher who both learned me ALOT about general electronics over the course of six years!
Jeepus buildicus:

Quote:
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Hey man, what's up? sorry I'm slackin and just saw your thread, actually caught the link in your sig somewhere else. Guess I'll have to start looking in the registry once in a while. So looks like you finally did it and got all those jeep genes hybrid-ed into one, props on that!

I'm cheesin on the like zero rust you're sportin, must be nice to see a jeep last like that. Around here it's a constant battle to keep rust at bay, and it gets everwhere!
So are you thinking maybe some white bedliner on there? Seems like black might generate a lot of heat.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Hey man, what's up? sorry I'm slackin and just saw your thread, actually caught the link in your sig somewhere else. Guess I'll have to start looking in the registry once in a while. So looks like you finally did it and got all those jeep genes hybrid-ed into one, props on that!

I'm cheesin on the like zero rust you're sportin, must be nice to see a jeep last like that. Around here it's a constant battle to keep rust at bay, and it gets everwhere!
So are you thinking maybe some white bedliner on there? Seems like black might generate a lot of heat.
Nah, Black bedliner still, plus I'm moving to Prescott in a couple weeks so the climate will be MUCH more tolerable. I'm anticipating salted roads during the winter up there, but I ran a complete coat of underbody coating so not only is the original stuff in tact, but it's reinforced w/o any rust... I hope it holds!

As an update, hooked up vac lines for the 4wd, but it's making horrible sounds and the front DS seems broken.... I'll chase that down soon.

Got some Goodyear Wrangler 235/75r-15's mounted to my 15x8 (3.75" BS) cragar 51 (I think) mags. Not the preferred tires, but they still look awesome and make the jeep sit very nice. I still want to install some shackles, but that will be my next day off (sunday).

Wipers, blower motor, and all lights are hooked up... now all I need is to wire in the back-up light (not a big deal), hook up my fuel guage, and install my stereo in order to finish ALL wiring!

I need to fab a way to mount the front fenders again, the aluminum mounting strips destroyed themselves upon removal. With 31's I thought I would have to trim, but the 235's are fine stock and all.

I'll get pictures up, my mom sneaked in some older pics that I didn't realize so I'll have her send them to me and I'll include them with a current shot!
Jeepus buildicus:

Quote:
Unread 05-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Pictures:

unfinished hood mocked up.

First picture with new meats.

Nice profile shot with mocked up hood

Scars from an incident with a bent fence post

Little paint picture of how I'll bedline it, had to shade for contrast. I'll probably just get rid of the rear flares anyways, looks funny how it is...

Jeepus buildicus:

Quote:
Unread 05-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
xBlackBettyx
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin 100% better. The tires really make a difference.
xBlackBettyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
AlTheKillerr

lookin good
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBlackBettyx View Post
Lookin 100% better. The tires really make a difference.
It is truly surprising! It'll look 200% better without the damned pinstripe, and with the sides/hood clad in black paint/bedliner!

I was skeptical about the rims, but they ended up looking good so I'm happy. Anyone know where to get center caps?

Ps: LOVE C&C
Jeepus buildicus:

Quote:
Unread 05-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
AlTheKillerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Random View Post
It is truly surprising! It'll look 200% better without the damned pinstripe, and with the sides/hood clad in black paint/bedliner!

I was skeptical about the rims, but they ended up looking good so I'm happy. Anyone know where to get center caps?

Ps: LOVE C&C
seems like lately there are more fans of them on here. for the longest time i was the only one

you can make some center caps out of old butter tubs or something like that. search around on here alot of people have done it
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #12
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller View Post
seems like lately there are more fans of them on here. for the longest time i was the only one

you can make some center caps out of old butter tubs or something like that. search around on here alot of people have done it
Well I registered here the first of 08, so two years counting only me! haha. I've loved them since the release of IKSSE:III, it's still kinda my favorite album, but I went back and love SSTB now, not to mention the newer Good Apollo albums...

Ha, I was thinking of ones that look like they were supposed to come with the Pro-Comps... I got them for free, so I aint complaining about missing them, I'd just like some in the future!
Jeepus buildicus:

Quote:
Unread 05-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #13
D-BOI
2001 XJ Cherokee 

holy **** youre only 17 and you did this all on your own wow man good ****
D-BOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #14
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BOI View Post
holy **** youre only 17 and you did this all on your own wow man good ****
When I started I was 17, now I'm approaching 19... but thanks! Age doesn't matter as much as sheer stubbornness in any case... The only part of this NOT beyond my expertise was the electrical, and even that took freaking forever... I'm not sure how many people appreciate the amount of thought that goes into such a thing...
Jeepus buildicus:

Quote:
Unread 07-03-2009, 03:06 AM   #15
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

sawzalled off the ends of the front bumper and killed the lower parts of my front fenders, looks a bit better, but I also mashed a lower control arm mount and drag link, fixed the link, and have a new (super beefy) LCA mount I got from a local guy for cheap, just need to install it.

I also exploded my front (crappy CV boot) driveshaft, does anyone know if an np231 front yoke will fit a 207? I need a cheap solution for now, an AX-15/np231 upgrade is being planned before the year is out.

I'll try to get pics up, might just be cell pics though. disco'd the sway bar and got some flexing pics, it actually does pretty well!

I moved to Prescott, AZ, and now have more places to offroad and better weather to work in, progress will be slow due to getting settled in.
Jeepus buildicus:

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.